Quintana Rumors: Round and round and round we go

GGajewski18

Watch the trade happen at like 6 PM.

Rick Hahn is sitting down for Christmas Eve dinner.

Get's a text from Huntington

"You really need Meadows and Glasnow?"

"Yes. We'll give you Jones as well."

"Ok...fine...Meadows, Glasnow and Newman."

Hahn texts a link:

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Dec 24, 2016 -> 03:42 PM)
Watch the trade happen at like 6 PM.

Rick Hahn is sitting down for Christmas Eve dinner.

Get's a text from Huntington

"You really need Meadows and Glasnow?"

"Yes. We'll give you Jones as well."

"Ok...fine...Meadows, Glasnow and Newman."

Hahn texts a link:

Pirates the trade Marte to open up salary for Jones. (Am I joking?)

QUOTE (BRIRO2017 @ Dec 24, 2016 -> 03:31 PM)
Didn't you post in it? Look it up

I have no idea how to find old posts like that - only see old game posts in the archives. I'm in the running for "duh award of the day".

QUOTE (hi8is @ Dec 24, 2016 -> 06:38 PM)
Finally figured out how to find the damned thing. 402 pages. What the hell man - that's insane that I remembered that. Thanks for nothing Quinarvy.

Give a man a fish, he eats for a day.

Ignore a man and he may eventually learn to fish, so it's all good.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Dec 24, 2016 -> 04:01 PM)
Truth, this is.

Thanks Yoda.

Edit: 13 plus years here and it's the first time I've ever had to use that feature. I'm f***ing bats*** crazy guys and readily admit it. :lol:

Edited by hi8is

[quote name=Dick Allen' post='3466001' date='Dec 24, 2016 -> 04:03 PM]There is no reason the White Sox should take on money. If they had to get rid of him and the Pirates were the only option, then maybe, but not now. You wouldn't sell your house at a discount to the first person who looked at it because you want to fit it in their budget.

The White Sox leak about as little information as any team in baseball. Trade talk with Q would eventually become a huge distraction, if it carried on into the season. That could really effect his performance and value, so IMO, they must be of the belief something is going to happen pretty soon leaking this 3 team stuff.

weak analogy.

Edited by oldsox

The Point of Pittsburgh's take on getting Q, seeing how I was singing there praises early on this offseason.

As you can see, no one prospect is going to be equivalent to Quintana’s value. It will require a passel of them to make up the surplus value he brings. Baseball America will be coming out with their official new 2017 Top 100 in late February/early March, but using this past summer’s Midseason Top 100, the Pirates had the following prospects on the list:

Tyler Glasnow #6 — Pitchers #1-10 — $69.9M

Austin Meadows #10 — Hitters #1-10 — $73.5M

Josh Bell #38 — Hitters #26-50 — $38.2M

Kevin Newman #51 — Hitters #51-100 (we group them together because of minimal value spread) — $22.4M

Mitch Keller #52 — Pitchers #52-100 (same grouping, same reason) — $16.5M

So in order to do this just with BA Top 100 caliber guys, one of Glasnow or Meadows has to front the deal. Bell almost has to be in there, too, which is fine with me because I think he’s a DH-in-waiting and not suited to the NL. Then add either Newman or Keller to round it out. Let’s say the deal was Glasnow, Bell, and Newman…that’s $130.5M of prospect surplus value, a near-perfect match. That’s a package I could live with. Yes, losing Glasnow would sting, but if you think his control issues and slow times to the plate portend future struggles, then sell high on him to a team seeking as much upside as possible before the shine is worn off. Newman is a slap-hitting SS that I don’t think will have enough bat to justify being more than a middle-of-the-road starter. A slightly better Jordy Mercer, maybe?

Edited by beautox

To add one more thing if $ is the hold up. I would love to see Hahn take Antonio Bastardo back taking the pirates off the hook for Q's "big" contract; they'd have a 500k surplus from this deal.

Q to the pirates

Meadows/Bell/Keller + Diaz/Escobar/Hearn and a potential useful bullpen piece to be flipped at the deadline with the Pirates being able to keep Andrew McCutchen. If they're sucessful getting to the post season no worries if not at the deadline they can flip him to recoup some of their loss.

QUOTE (beautox @ Dec 24, 2016 -> 08:04 PM)
The Point of Pittsburgh's take on getting Q, seeing how I was singing there praises early on this offseason.

That package would need to include Keller. The only 3 player package I'd take from Pittsburgh for Q is Glasnow, Meadows, Bell. If they're still doing the 3 team, a package of Glasnow, Rutherford, Andujar, Keller would work, but I have no idea why the Yankees would want McCutchen, unless they plan to extend him, but if that's the case, why not just wait until he hits FA and not lose the prospects?

QUOTE (beautox @ Dec 24, 2016 -> 08:19 PM)
To add one more thing if $ is the hold up. I would love to see Hahn take Antonio Bastardo back taking the pirates off the hook for Q's "big" contract; they'd have a 500k surplus from this deal.

Q to the pirates

Meadows/Bell/Keller + Diaz/Escobar/Hearn and a potential useful bullpen piece to be flipped at the deadline with the Pirates being able to keep Andrew McCutchen. If they're sucessful getting to the post season no worries if not at the deadline they can flip him to recoup some of their loss.

I agree with your premise, but would look for a Glasnow, Meadows, Bell, Newman, Keller return for taking back a contract.

QUOTE (Dam8610 @ Dec 24, 2016 -> 09:23 PM)
I agree with your premise, but would look for a Glasnow, Meadows, Bell, Newman, Keller return for taking back a contract.

For that package you need to include Jones at least. That's 5 Top 100 prospects.

Q is probably worth Glasnow, Bell and Newman. Jones worth Keller.

Together with a contract that may equal adding Meadows there, but that's a tall order.