Quintana Rumors: Round and round and round we go

GGajewski18

QUOTE (Dam8610 @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 08:32 PM)
I.Get.That.There.Are.At.Least.Three.Drafts.Between.Now.And.A.Competitive.Team.Not.To.Mention.The.201

8.Free.Agent.Class.

OK, one thing we should know as Sox fans is that there is zero chance of them bidding on top line free agents when we are going to be coming off of two completely terrible season. We don't do that coming off of good seasons. I don't know why this has taken traction, but look at the White Sox free agent history, and tell me why there is any answer other than no.

QUOTE (SouthSideSale @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 09:46 PM)
Boston paid up. Washington paid up for Eaton. Now Houston or Colorado will. Phil Rogers even said as much when he said Houston and the Sox are far along on a deal.

I'd like to see what ATL can come up with too. Lots of potential in that system.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 08:51 PM)
OK, one thing we should know as Sox fans is that there is zero chance of them bidding on top line free agents when we are going to be coming off of two completely terrible season. We don't do that coming off of good seasons. I don't know why this has taken traction, but look at the White Sox free agent history, and tell me why there is any answer other than no.

By the time they will be buying free agents, Obama will own the team and he likes to spend money according to many.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 09:51 PM)

Their salary will likely be between $40-50M in 2019. Even if they just move to $100M, weak for a big market team, you're talking 2-3 impact players to augment a young, talented, and exciting roster.

Abreu signing/Tanaka try was after 2013

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 08:49 PM)
And how many homers/XB in how many at-bats against RHP?

If the biggest problem the Cubs have is what to do with Schwarber against lefties, they'll be just fine.

Plus, Jon Jay...despite being LHed, had pretty decent numbers against LHP. And they've also got Bryant, Contreras and Baez to balance out Heyward/Schwarber/Rizzo.

My point is that reed wss really bad in 48 games batting .164 overall and .064 vs lefties. With below average defense the bat must play or he will be worthless

QUOTE (mmmmmbeeer @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 09:53 PM)
Their salary will likely be between $40-50M in 2019. Even if they just move to $100M, weak for a big market team, you're talking 2-3 impact players to augment a young, talented, and exciting roster.

We've never seen anything that suggests this ownership will ever pay the price it will take for a marquee free agent.

Please tell me why, throughout the night, you've been nitpicking at the weakest replies to your nonsensical complaints, but ignoring the common response: the rebuild is not done. We will trade more assets for position players in the very near future.

They're doing something right now that's unprecedented under JR. Why should that be any different? You're not making a whole lot of sense today, you usually do.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 08:58 PM)
Please tell me why, throughout the night, you've been nitpicking at the weakest replies to your nonsensical complaints, but ignoring the common response: the rebuild is not done. We will trade more assets for position players in the very near future.

The two biggest chips are gone. We have one more major piece in Q, a solid piece in Jones, and then a whole lot of guys with zero to negative surplus value.

You have one bite at the apple with the guys you have. After that, you are depending on the draft. But once you start actually examining the path, it isn't going to be as easy as everyone wants to believe. These deals are so incredibly vital as so many other doors won't be open to us. I think everyone was just so ready for a change, that any change will do.

We aren't spending for a marquee free agent

We aren't going crazy in Latin America

We aren't going crazy in international free agency, even if we do, we will probably be outbid by someone with much deeper pockets.

Simple.

1) They haven't rebuilt like this since the late 90's.

2) Albert Belle/Alex Rodriguez/Tanaka/Adam Dunn

3) The biggest financial treasure is there for the taking in franchise history if they have the looks of the 2014-15 Cubs heading into 2019 and can negotiate an advantageous media rights deal, which will obviously create another $50-75 and even $100 million dollars per year to play around with.

4) This is JR's likely last opportunity at an extended run as he's in his early 80's....and the logic of rebuilding but NOT FINISHING the rebuild if they're just a couple of players away, maybe even 3...is just completely nuts. That's what we have been dealing for the last 3-4 years, except we were trying to reload with one of the worst farm systems in baseball and a barren Latin American pipeline.

5) They have a special connection to Cuba that few if any teams have (of course, we don't know which direction that will go under Trump, in terms of continued "opening up" of the country), with the agents like Jaime Torres and buscones. Contreras, El Duque, Alexei, Viciedo, Rodon is Cuban-American, Abreu, now Moncada. They have a manager who has a much clearer way of communicating with those players than Ventura, since he's fluent in Spanish. We also just brought in 3 big-time Latin American talents in Moncada (Cuba), Basabe (Venezuela) and Lopez (DR). That's not an accident. And Paddy.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 09:03 PM)
The two biggest chips are gone. We have one more major piece in Q, a solid piece in Jones, and then a whole lot of guys with zero to negative surplus value.

You have one bite at the apple with the guys you have. After that, you are depending on the draft. But once you start actually examining the path, it isn't going to be as easy as everyone wants to believe. These deals are so incredibly vital as so many other doors won't be open to us. I think everyone was just so ready for a change, that any change will do.

We aren't spending for a marquee free agent

We aren't going crazy in Latin America

We aren't going crazy in international free agency, even if we do, we will probably be outbid by someone with much deeper pockets.

Jesus Christ you're unbearable tonight. Take a deep breath and log off.

QUOTE (oneofthemikes @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 08:57 PM)
If ATL could give up Albies, Maitan, Riley, and maybe one more, I'd hear them out.

Again, this is the type of deal I want to see. If you can't get Swanson, clean out the rest of the top position players out of a deep system.