2018 MLB Draft

Boopa1219

QUOTE (bmags @ Feb 20, 2017 -> 09:10 AM)
I would take the over on wins for most of the teams mentioned. Reds will be better this year than last, so will Brewers. My sneaky pick for worst team would probably be the Marlins, they are a good candidate for star heavy team that injuries would destroy because they have no depth.

Padres though, I'm just talking myself into them being better and good enough to lose 1st overall. AJ Preller doesn't deserve nice things.

Sox benefit from being the only real tanking team in the AL, except maybe the A's.

But they have to get rid of Q, Jones, Robertson. Eventually Melky and Frazier as well.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Feb 19, 2017 -> 07:00 PM)
Padres look like they can go 50-112 pretty easily.

Man, you aren't kidding. Even if Renfroe breaks out with a big year ( I thank he does) they will still be tough to catch for the '18 #1 pick. SD is going to take a beating from the Dodgers, Giants and Rockies on a regular basis. Heck, even AZ should thump SD pretty good. I think the Padres stand a good chance of not getting to 50 wins.

QUOTE (bmags @ Feb 20, 2017 -> 10:10 AM)
I would take the over on wins for most of the teams mentioned. Reds will be better this year than last, so will Brewers. My sneaky pick for worst team would probably be the Marlins, they are a good candidate for star heavy team that injuries would destroy because they have no depth.

Padres though, I'm just talking myself into them being better and good enough to lose 1st overall. AJ Preller doesn't deserve nice things.

Like Tatis, Jr.

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Feb 21, 2017 -> 10:14 AM)
Would Beer go 1.1 in the 2017 draft?

http://www.baseballamerica.com/draft/ask-b...semsrz5p10dK.97

Pretty much notes Beers value lies entirely in his bat, and historically bat only players don't go 1.1

I don't care if he's worse than Avi in the field. The Sox have to take him if he's on the board when it's their turn to pick. His bat is special.

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Feb 21, 2017 -> 10:14 AM)
Would Beer go 1.1 in the 2017 draft?

http://www.baseballamerica.com/draft/ask-b...semsrz5p10dK.97

Pretty much notes Beers value lies entirely in his bat, and historically bat only players don't go 1.1

They are extremely risky. I remember the Pedro Alvarez hype (sorry daa, I know that's your boy) who was an absolute joy to watch in college (talked about 1.1 since his freshman year). Matt Weiters as well (who slipped to 5, although his defensive reports weren't bad). I love Beer, but I wouldn't be shocked if he doesn't go 1.1 in '18 either depending on how this year goes.

With that being said, what he did his freshman year was nothing short of incredible. He'd have to really fall off to not be at LEAST a 1.2/3.

Edited by SoxAce

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Feb 21, 2017 -> 11:51 AM)
They are extremely risky. I remember the Pedro Alvarez hype (sorry daa, I know that's your boy) who was an absolute joy to watch in college (talked about 1.1 since his freshman year). Matt Weiters as well (who slipped to 5, although his defensive reports weren't bad). I love Beer, but I wouldn't be shocked if he doesn't go 1.1 in '18 either depending on how this year goes.

With that being said, what he did his freshman year was nothing short of incredible. He'd have to really fall off to not be at LEAST a 1.2/3.

no, everything you said is totally fair and accurate. one thing to remember too is that Beer was really a HS senior when he put up those ridiculous numbers. Also, i have no idea what kind of athlete he is, but just by body type, i'm guessing beer could probably learn to play a corner OF spot too, whereas a guy like alvarez was destined for 1b eventually. Certainly a lot of ppl projected Kris Bryant to be 1b and who knows, maybe thats why Houston passed on him.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 21, 2017 -> 01:14 PM)
Baseball America Verified account

‏@BaseballAmerica

Beer Here: Would the @ClemsonBaseball star go No. 1 in the 2017 draft if eligible? @jjcoop36 tackles the in Ask BA. http://bba.am/Mms5La

This works out better for us getting him if he ends up going somewhere between #5-10, because I really really doubt we can even secure a top 3 pick honestly, let alone #1.

However, I didn't realize Beer was put at 1B now. I thought I had heard he was a decent corner OF due to his big arm. Maybe something like a Melky or Nelson Cruz out there.

QUOTE (ChiliIrishHammock24 @ Feb 21, 2017 -> 10:28 PM)
This works out better for us getting him if he ends up going somewhere between #5-10, because I really really doubt we can even secure a top 3 pick honestly, let alone #1.

However, I didn't realize Beer was put at 1B now. I thought I had heard he was a decent corner OF due to his big arm. Maybe something like a Melky or Nelson Cruz out there.

Yeah if he isn't the 1-1 and slips to us I'm cool with that.

QUOTE (daa84 @ Feb 21, 2017 -> 12:17 PM)
no, everything you said is totally fair and accurate. one thing to remember too is that Beer was really a HS senior when he put up those ridiculous numbers. Also, i have no idea what kind of athlete he is, but just by body type, i'm guessing beer could probably learn to play a corner OF spot too, whereas a guy like alvarez was destined for 1b eventually. Certainly a lot of ppl projected Kris Bryant to be 1b and who knows, maybe thats why Houston passed on him.

No, Houston passed on Bryant because they are STUPID, and they wanted to draft a high school pitcher so they could sign him for a lower bonus than Bryant would require.

QUOTE (oldsox @ Feb 22, 2017 -> 06:43 AM)
No, Houston passed on Bryant because they are STUPID, and they wanted to draft a high school pitcher so they could sign him for a lower bonus than Bryant would require.

Houston drafted #1 Mark Appel/Stanford in 2013 followed by Bryant #2. 2014 was Brady Aiken. Also Appel bonus was more than Bryant that year.You must be getting your information from Donald Trump.

Edited by PolishPrince34

QUOTE (PolishPrince34 @ Feb 22, 2017 -> 08:40 AM)
Houston drafted #1 Mark Appel/Stanford in 2013 followed by Bryant #2. 2014 was Brady Aiken. Also Appel bonus was more than Bryant that year.You must be getting your information from Donald Trump.

WTF?

Nice bomb, has it reentered earth's atmosphere yet ? :lol:

Going to be interesting to see how Beer has progressed when May 2018 comes around. If scouts still feel his bat will be something special then I wouldn't mind drafting a 1B in the first round.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Mar 11, 2017 -> 06:53 PM)
Is this considered a strong draft year? Haven't paid too close attention so far. Looks like the Sox will have a few nice options to choose from.

The 2017 draft appears to be a decent draft year, but 2018 is looking to be better at this point

This year is stocked with college arms, but seems light on high school position players

QUOTE (daa84 @ Mar 17, 2017 -> 02:43 PM)
I think the most impressive thing about beer is his 84:35 BB:K ratio so far in the NCAA....throw in an additional 19 HBPs.

Then also keep in mind he enrolled a season early

Beer's bat is unquestioned to be plus, but his defense and athleticism are another story

Beer would be drafted either as a bat first outfielder, or a first baseman...both of which are pretty unlikely to be selected #1 overall in the draft

Teams are valuing defense and speed more than every before, which raises questions about drafting a bat that high

If his defense improves, he might go #1, but if scouts are not convinced he can stick in the outfield he might slip further than most think

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Mar 17, 2017 -> 03:53 PM)
Beer's bat is unquestioned to be plus, but his defense and athleticism are another story

Beer would be drafted either as a bat first outfielder, or a first baseman...both of which are pretty unlikely to be selected #1 overall in the draft

Teams are valuing defense and speed more than every before, which raises questions about drafting a bat that high

If his defense improves, he might go #1, but if scouts are not convinced he can stick in the outfield he might slip further than most think

Play him in LF and let him hit you 30+ bombs.