2018 MLB Draft

Boopa1219

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Jun 10, 2017 -> 09:41 AM)
I think Beer's season was good enough that he will entering the 2018 season as the best pure hitter in the Draft. However, that does not guarantee him being taken No. 1 overall, let alone being in the top 5 or top 10. As this year has shown, Huira, the best pure hitter for 2017, isn't a projected Top 15 pick, largely due to his arm issue. But Beer also has defensive limitations and questions.

If the alternatives are Kendall or Bukauskas, the White Sox should pick Hiura. The defensive stuff is overblown because no one has seem him play defense in over a year. An unknown is better than a known negative, like Kendall's K rate or Bukauskas's mechanics.

QUOTE (Dam8610 @ Jun 11, 2017 -> 01:29 PM)
If the alternatives are Kendall or Bukauskas, the White Sox should pick Hiura. The defensive stuff is overblown because no one has seem him play defense in over a year. An unknown is better than a known negative, like Kendall's K rate or Bukauskas's mechanics.

Except if the White Sox are dead set on Moncada playing second...where does he still have a "plus" bat in the line-up?

LF? DH? 1B?

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Jun 10, 2017 -> 09:41 AM)
I think Beer's season was good enough that he will entering the 2018 season as the best pure hitter in the Draft. However, that does not guarantee him being taken No. 1 overall, let alone being in the top 5 or top 10. As this year has shown, Huira, the best pure hitter for 2017, isn't a projected Top 15 pick, largely due to his arm issue. But Beer also has defensive limitations and questions.

Beer has more HRs this year that Hiura does in the last 2 combined. Not sure they are very comparable at all.

QUOTE (Dam8610 @ Jun 11, 2017 -> 02:29 PM)

Ok Mr. Hiura, I think we get your point.

Though, none of those players will likely be available in next year's draft.

Edited by turnin' two

QUOTE (turnin' two @ Jun 11, 2017 -> 02:15 PM)
Beer has more HRs this year that Hiura does in the last 2 combined. Not sure they are very comparable at all.

Yes. Hiura is a very good pure hitter and also has a good eye but he has not shown much power. 8 hr with a metal bat in college is not great. Now he might be one of those guys who grow into more power but worst case he is a DH with 12 home runs a year and even if he plays second hitting like 15 hr or so is not that special anymore, the time of bat first no power second basemen is mostly over (last year more than half of the majors 2B hit 20+ HR).

Now there is a chance he becomes a dustin pedroia type who hits 300 with 15 hr and great defense or even he becomes a 20 plus hr guy and is a star but there are probably limits to his realistic ceiling.

I think the chance that he flames out in AA ball is very low and he might have about the highest ceiling to reach the majors in some capacity and that has value but to be really be called the best college bat I think just a good hit tool is not enough, I want at least a 55 future power too.

Now I don't think he is a no power guy but with the HR surge now 20 HR is just average and the bar has shifted up.

QUOTE (hi8is @ Jun 15, 2017 -> 12:50 PM)
I really want that third pick and hope two go before Beer. If we don't get him then I really would hope we take Gray over Kowar.

If Burger and Beer doesn't happen, you'll hear Brooks Boyer flip a table.

• 4 weeks later...
QUOTE (SoxAce @ Jul 13, 2017 -> 01:10 PM)
Haha, you seem excited Dirty in a sense.

Excited for the tank to get tankier.

Plenty of position prospects on this list. Though early, I'm sure that will make some folks happy.

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Jul 13, 2017 -> 02:29 PM)
Excited for the tank to get tankier.

Plenty of position prospects on this list. Though early, I'm sure that will make some folks happy.

Yeah full steam ahead on the tank. If the sox end up with a TOR like Singer or MI like Madrigal or say f*** it and get Beer, I trust Hostetler and his process thus far.

QUOTE (hi8is @ Jul 14, 2017 -> 10:51 AM)
Very interesting that they list 5 positional players ahead of Beer and Gray isn't one of them.

Poor defense seems to hurt his value. Would not be mad at the idea of drafting him with idea for LF and fallback option being 1B.

Edited by soxfan2014

• 2 weeks later...