What if the Sox go 20-10 in April and amaze us?

tray

Without Sale and Eaton, but with Moncada and a lot of possibilities for the bullpen and rotation , the Sox , at least in theory, have a chance to win a lot of games.

Let's assume they do and fans start getting excited like we did last season. Do the Sox then try to plug in a DH or RF player via trade to improve the team or do they try to tank the season by making trades involving Frazier, Robertson and Mellky that will likely only bring back less than elite prospects ?

Edited to qualify 20-10....I mean that they have a dominant April, I know they probably have fewer games than that..

Edited by miracleon35th

QUOTE (miracleon35th @ Dec 17, 2016 -> 10:32 AM)
Without Sale and Eaton, but with Moncada and a lot of possibilities for the bullpen and rotation , the Sox , at least in theory, have a chance to win a lot of games.

Let's assume they do and fans start getting excited like we did last season. Do the Sox then try to plug in a DH or RF player via trade to improve the team or do they try to tank the season by making trades involving Frazier, Robertson and Mellky that will likely only bring back less than elite prospects ?

You won't see moncada until late may or early June at the earliest. It would be unforgivable to waste a year of his service time.

If the sox are winning, then great. But 99 percent chance it does not work out that way and we are headed for 60 wins

A hot start is actually possible with the roster as constructed. If Quintana goes HAM and Rodon takes the next step to ace-hood they could see roughly the same 1-2 punch at the top of the rotation as they did last year. Migo keeps it up and Holland proves to be a good signing that's all the starting rotation they'd need to peel off another scorching run to start the year. On the other side I suppose Frazier could have an MVP first half like he did in 2015 and maybe Abreu picks up where he left off last seson. At least one of the infielders would have to break out, like Lawrie puts it all together finally.

The bullpen is so atrocious though they would basically be sitting on the same time bomb as they were last year. Robertson and Jones could be having monster seasons even, but we saw how well the "no lead is safe" bullpen worked out last year. Wound up being too much to overcome and the team imploded.

That and they've dealt away like 12 wins at 2 positions off the major league roster from a 78 win team, I dont think they'll be competitive.

BUT IF THEY ARE I suppose the front office just lets it ride. Give serious thought to extending Frazier but if his pricetag is too high him and Robertson are two guys I'd deal at the deadline almost regardless of how well the team is doing. Of course if they're on some insane 95 win pace dont touch a thing, but come July I figure their hot start would at least have evened out if not all together collapsed. It'd be nice to be sitting on a bunch of valuable assets at the deadline in 2017 even if that means the Sox wont be drafting in the top 3. 2015 first half Todd Frazier even as a rental would get a haul, and we saw what a rental closer cost last year so that bodes pretty well for Robertson.

QUOTE (flavum @ Dec 17, 2016 -> 11:30 AM)
After the first week, the Sox play 44 of 66 games on the road.

Good luck with that hot start.

Yeah, looking at the first 30 games, they have 12 home games, 18 road games, 24 division games (which the White Sox struggled with when they had Sale and Eaton), 3 games @ Yankees, and 3 games @ Orioles. 10-20 seems a lot more likely than 20-10 given the schedule.

We're coming off a 78 win team and just traded Chris Sale & Adam Eaton. Those guys combined for 11.2 WAR last year and will be replaced by Derek Holland & Charlie Tilson or Rymer Liriano. We will also get the benefit of starting the season with Big Game James Shields and his 6.01 FIP. I won't rule out anything because only a sith deals in absolutes, but the odds of us starting 20-10 next year is about as good as Deadpool making a post without mentioning the Cubs.

QUOTE (miracleon35th @ Dec 17, 2016 -> 11:32 AM)

Edited to qualify 20-10....I mean that they have a dominant April, I know they probably have fewer games than that..

Statistically it is possible that could happen, but there's massive mean reversion over a 162 game season, and teams generally end up playing relatively close to their expected W/L. So if it happens, it would be a lot of luck!

The cubs made crazy favorable trades to get Addison Russell and Jake Arrieta.

They made much better Draft picks and got lucky that Bryant was there when they had a top pick. They basically stole Rizzo.

There is no guarantee that this rebuilding plan will do anything but make the Sox stink for several years and come back somewhere near the middle of the pack.

Trading Frazier, Robertson and Melky probably isn't going to net any players that will elevate the Sox to top contenders for a WS.

Similarly, teams are not offering players that could be game changers in exchange for Quintana. So this rebuilding plan has a lot of pitfalls. It might be better to moderate the rebuild or half azz it as some say, in order to stay reasonable competitive. There is no guarantee that teh Sox get a top 3 pick in the Draft no matter how bad they are because there are several teams that are probably worse. And, as we have see, even when the Sox have a top 10 pick, they don't a;ways make the right decision.

The Sox couldn't maintain the '16 hot start with Eaton and Sale but they could in '17 without?

Yeah, because years and years of "rebuilding on the fly" and " retooling" has proven to be so successful the Sox should continue that method of insanity.

No matter what, stay the course and see this rebuild through. Like it or not it's happening so embrace it and enjoy the ride.

QUOTE (miracleon35th @ Dec 17, 2016 -> 12:08 PM)

They made much better Draft picks and got lucky that Bryant was there when they had a top pick. They basically stole Rizzo.

There is no guarantee that this rebuilding plan will do anything but make the Sox stink for several years and come back somewhere near the middle of the pack.

Trading Frazier, Robertson and Melky probably isn't going to net any players that will elevate the Sox to top contenders for a WS.

Similarly, teams are not offering players that could be game changers in exchange for Quintana. So this rebuilding plan has a lot of pitfalls. It might be better to moderate the rebuild or half azz it as some say, in order to stay reasonable competitive. There is no guarantee that teh Sox get a top 3 pick in the Draft no matter how bad they are because there are several teams that are probably worse. And, as we have see, even when the Sox have a top 10 pick, they don't a;ways make the right decision.

Don't half ass the rebuild. It will take at least three seasons, if not more but we will get there

QUOTE (miracleon35th @ Dec 17, 2016 -> 12:08 PM)

I didn't know elrockin had multiple accounts.

QUOTE (Al Lopez's Ghost @ Dec 17, 2016 -> 12:33 PM)
our draft in 2016 was great. I don't look at Fulmer as a fail, certainly not Rodon either. So I don't get this attitude that the Sox will screw up the 2018 draft choice, besides which that is only a piece of the rebuild. You can't get great by half-assing the rebuild.

Agree on all points Al. People need to learn patience.

QUOTE (BRIRO2017 @ Dec 17, 2016 -> 12:42 PM)
Why do we have to read about the damn Cubs in every thread? WHO CARES about the damn Cubs.

Thank you!!! Was thinking the same thing myself. I don't give a toss what the other team has done or is doing, just what the Chicago White Sox are doing and imho they are doing just fine so far this winter.

If they win, you just let them play. It's highly unlikely that if they're winning, it's because the players reveal some underlying level of ability indicating they are really able to compete in the long haul. So you don't do much of anything to add to the team short of perhaps considering veteran free agents who couldn't make it onto a team in Spring Training. If the trade deadline comes around and you within a game or so of playoff contention, you might have to hold off on trading the Quintana types who are still on the team..but if you're in a situation more like the Yankees were this season, technically in it but not super close, you still move guys off the team.