2017 International Signings

NCsoxfan

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Mar 27, 2017 -> 11:13 AM)
I actually think it's lunacy to just expect the same old White Sox. We've gone in a completely direction and the way our front office operates will be different as a result. We literally just traded two cost-controlled stars in one offseason, something that our organization has never done before. Now that our short-term goal is talent accumulation and not winning, it's crazy to think they won't change their ways. And that may mean going over their international budget for the first time, which Hahn has clearly stated is something they are considering.

Would you really expect him to say anything else ? He can't say no we are not considering it because it would cause a minor uproar. His only possible answer is what he said. Considering it could mean it's a very unlikely but still a remotely possible option.

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Mar 27, 2017 -> 05:44 AM)
They really aren't competing with very rich organizations. If they want Robert, they can go get him. It's that simple. I've outlined how in multiple posts and even wrote an article for FutureSox about the prospects of doing so.

Yes I even read the article when you wrote it and your efforts to do so are commendable. However, I did not commit it to memory. At this point the other thing we can reasonably assume is that the Sox will be in seriously involved since we have seen no activity regarding other prospects and your own thoughts re: Badler.

I just am never really very confident that the Sox (based on some of SSk2 arguments) and my own realizations that the Sox do have a history of not making winning bids. Some have even accused the Sox of making token bids just to say they made a competitive offer.

I just find it a terrible situation . Either he signs with the Sox or the Sox get nothing since they have not been connected to any other prospects that we know . They really need to keep the international pipeline functioning and getting nothing should be a completely out of the question option. Go big or go home is not a luxury the Sox can afford when they need all the prospects they can pump into the system. That aspect of the organization has been bone dry for too long for it to continue now.

"If Robert can get cleared to sign before June 15 (which seems likely given his timetable, though with MLB and international players, there isn’t much transparency to work with), the teams already over their bonus pools would be in the best position to sign him. That includes the Padres and Cardinals, two teams that have been the most aggressive spending this signing period with international players in general with several Cuban signings for each club. The Astros, Braves, Nationals, A’s and Reds are also over their bonus pools. If, for some reason, MLB does not clear Robert to sign until after June 15, those teams would essentially be eliminated from signing Robert, since they would be in the first year of a two-year penalty of being unable to sign any international amateur player for more than $300,000. The White Sox are not over their bonus pool, but they consistently come up in conversations as a team to watch for Robert."

http://www.baseballamerica.com/internation...4FPQ1YA6LdT4.99

More talk about Robert, showcase is on Thursday so probably an explosion of chatter coming this weekend.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Mar 27, 2017 -> 03:16 PM)
Yes I even read the article when you wrote it and your efforts to do so are commendable. However, I did not commit it to memory. At this point the other thing we can reasonably assume is that the Sox will be in seriously involved since we have seen no activity regarding other prospects and your own thoughts re: Badler.

I just am never really very confident that the Sox (based on some of SSk2 arguments) and my own realizations that the Sox do have a history of not making winning bids. Some have even accused the Sox of making token bids just to say they made a competitive offer.

I just find it a terrible situation . Either he signs with the Sox or the Sox get nothing since they have not been connected to any other prospects that we know . They really need to keep the international pipeline functioning and getting nothing should be a completely out of the question option. Go big or go home is not a luxury the Sox can afford when they need all the prospects they can pump into the system. That aspect of the organization has been bone dry for too long for it to continue now.

The tough part, although they probably have a better idea than us, is we don't know when he will be available. But it's money and the reality is it's a 1 year penalty not 2 if you sign him if he becomes eligible for the current period, because if you sign him after the July 2 period, you aren't signing anyone else over $300k anyway, and might not be signing anyone else period, to have a shot. To get him and better prospects, the only way is to have him eligible earlier. If he is late and you sign him, he's pretty much alone. As long as the cash is there, take the penalty, but you still would be able to sign about 10 more players to $300k contracts than if he was cleared later. Although it would cost a boatload more.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (bmags @ Mar 29, 2017 -> 12:31 PM)
I'm that guy but can anyone read and summarize?

http://www.baseballamerica.com/internation...TRd32qHDoIS4.97

Badler says Sox have never gone over bonus pool but wonders if they will do so for Robert if he gets cleared prior to June 15th.

White Sox were higher on Fernando Tatis (750K) than the industry was and signing looks good in retrospect.

Like Tatis, Sox were higher on Josue Guerrero (1.1 million) than industry. Sox saw short swing with impact at contact and better breaking ball recognition then other clubs saw. Badler thinks he starts in AZL this season as 17 year old.

OF Luis Mieses: Intriguing offensive upside, showing power in games, chance for plus or better power and has a plus arm. ($450K)

OF Anderson Comas: ($428K). Consistent, repeatable swing. Looks similar to how Gregory Polanco did and has same trainer. Sound understanding of strike zone.

RHP Jendersson Caraballo; ($350K). Dominican. 6'3 190 pounds. Touches 92 MPH. Sox saw feel for a change up and repeatable delivery.

SS Lenyn Sosa ($325K): Venezuela. 6' 180 pounds. Scouts think he moves to 2B. Line drive hitter, Sox plan to play him at SS and think he can stay there

OF Anthony Coronado: Venezuela: ($150K). 6'1 180 pounds. Chance to stay in CF

Sox had some Lower $$ Signings:

RHP Ramon Pineda (Brother of Michael Pineda); 19 years old, Under radar signing for $10K. 6'3 200 pounds. Previously worked out for clubs as 3B and couldn't hit. Started pitching 7 months before Sox signed him. Throws with little effort, easy arm action, reaches 91 mph with sink, strike thrower, already shows tilt on slider and sinking change up making him potential starter.

RHP Brayan Herrera ($70K). Another conversion. 6'2 185 pounds. 95 MPH fastball. Hard slider. 4 pitch mix. May be best as a reliever

Kleyder Sanchez Venezuela ($50K): Was showcasing in RF. 5'10 170 pounds. Didn't have enough power for OF. Simple plate approach, Sox signed him and moved him to catcher.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Mar 29, 2017 -> 03:34 PM)
Thanks for posting. Caraballo weighing 190lbs is a joke. Dude is a big oaf and looks like he needs to cut a good amount of weight. Just watching his PFP's you can tell he's a long way from good shape.

He didn't look big in any of the pictures/video that I've seen and those were from instructs.

• 2 weeks later...
QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Apr 7, 2017 -> 12:38 PM)
So if we don't end up signing Robert, this wouldn't be a terrible alternative imo.

Don't see the Sox getting involved in spending what it would take to get Ohtani

Robert seems to be their primary target

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Apr 7, 2017 -> 12:44 PM)
Don't see the Sox getting involved in spending what it would take to get Ohtani

Robert seems to be their primary target

It's capped next signing period so the spending can't go crazy like before. New rules.

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 7, 2017 -> 12:52 PM)
If he is coming next year, the most it could cost is their entire bonus pool.

Aren't they even more restricted next year or is this year the second of the two year penalty? Either way, they would be capped and can't go over what some other teams are allotted to spend.

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Apr 7, 2017 -> 12:55 PM)
Yeah that seems like that would make sense.

Don't know. I don't think a team would want to give up their DH to have him pitch and hit in the AL. He makes it 4 or 5 innings, you have a problem.

I think he ends up in NY, LA, or Seattle.