Updated teams interested in Q

harfman77

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (zisk @ Mar 29, 2017 -> 10:14 AM)
The Dodgers seem to have the right pieces to trade for Q.

He would make their rotation as tough as anyone in baseball.

They also have several position prospects and that is where the Sox are thinnest.

Dodgers seem content to hang onto their prospects right now

Would a Bellinger, Alvarez and Verdugo package be enough?

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Mar 29, 2017 -> 10:18 AM)

Enough? Are you kidding me? I think Bellinger is untouchable in a Q trade personally. He'll be contributing to their team this year. Future star. Something could definitely be built around Alvarez and Verdugo though

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Mar 29, 2017 -> 10:33 AM)
Enough? Are you kidding me? I think Bellinger is untouchable in a Q trade personally. He'll be contributing to their team this year. Future star. Something could definitely be built around Alvarez and Verdugo though

The Dodgers are about ideal as far as what the White Sox need. They are loaded with quality position players, in the higher levels of the minors, who play premium positions. They have multiple catchers which could be of interest (Barnes, Smith, Ruiz). They have other position players beside Bellinger, such as Verdugo and Calhoun in the time frame of about a year away, as well as some really young Latin talent who could explode onto the scene such as Diaz and Brito.

That is totally without talking about some of the quality pitching that is totally blocked in their system, even beyond Urias.

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Mar 29, 2017 -> 10:18 AM)

Where do I sign? Haha, but yeah, I don't see the Dodgers offering all that. If they do get involved, I hope we don't hear the same "Bellinger is completely off limits" posturing.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Mar 29, 2017 -> 10:33 AM)

I do not feel Alvarez and Verdugo would be enough to headline a Quintana deal on their own

QUOTE (raBBit @ Mar 29, 2017 -> 11:41 AM)
If you aggregate all of the top prospect lists Alvarez and Verdugo come out as the #33 and #42 prospects.

I like them both as prospects, but as of now the Dodgers do not seem to be in the mix for Quintana

I feel like the Sox are holding out for the premium position player prospect like Torres or Meadows

Asking for Martes + Tucker + Musgrove is not unreasonable as a starting point to get the discussion going, but the Sopx aren't going to drop their pants to make a deal happen

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Mar 29, 2017 -> 11:46 AM)
I like them both as prospects, but as of now the Dodgers do not seem to be in the mix for Quintana

I feel like the Sox are holding out for the premium position player prospect like Torres or Meadows

Asking for Martes + Tucker + Musgrove is not unreasonable as a starting point to get the discussion going, but the Sopx aren't going to drop their pants to make a deal happen

I agree and I think Bellinger falls into that class as well.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Mar 28, 2017 -> 07:37 PM)
This is a very, very good post.

Thanks both Old Sox +-Kalapse..I've always preferred OBP and hated K's but unfortunately the way the game is today, K's are becoming more acceptable. This being the case, even though Fisher has struck out some in the past, his BB to K rate is actually decent (1:2) as he can work a count. His OBP is also pretty good at 37% compared to the lackluster 33% these days. Lastly he has stolen 28, 31 and 17 bases his 1st three years in pro ball. Not that spring stats matter but he's .289 w/ .417 OBP and 11 stolen bases w/ 0 thrown out. This is playing the position we need, a LHB in the OF. Therefore Tucker + Fisher would be acceptable headliners for me. Additionally include Whitley (or worst case, get Reed instead of Whitley) and if necessary to get Stubbs, include Jennings or if they prefer DR and eat cash if we have to. Hopefully then Nightengale would alert Rizzo who may up the ante for DR ?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 28, 2017 -> 07:43 PM)
With the pitchers we already have in our system, I am OK building a deal without Martes, but then there has to be some quantity to make up for it.

Absolutely agree. In order to get the proper balance of pitcher(s) and position player(s) w/o sacrificing the quality of prospects, Whitley has the ability to be a TOR starter also. If we were to back off asking for Martes, this may allow us to also get Stubbs. In order to get Stubbs, if we had to work in Jennings or DR, we can do it. Worst case, IF the Astros balk, we could accept Reed and not Whitley with additional tinkering. Reed is simply not quite on the fast track as Tucker may be but I feel he'll work out and is a LHB.. Tucker + Fisher + Whitley + or (Stubbs/Reed)..

QUOTE (SoxChinMusic @ Mar 29, 2017 -> 12:24 PM)
Absolutely agree. In order to get the proper balance of pitcher(s) and position player(s) w/o sacrificing the quality of prospects, Whitley has the ability to be a TOR starter also. If we were to back off asking for Martes, this may allow us to also get Stubbs. In order to get Stubbs, if we had to work in Jennings or DR, we can do it. Worst case, IF the Astros balk, we could accept Reed and not Whitley with additional tinkering. Reed is simply not quite on the fast track as Tucker may be but I feel he'll work out and is a LHB.. Tucker + Fisher + Whitley + or (Stubbs/Reed)..

I agree the Astros could make it happen with several different pieces.

It seems to me that the Dodgers want to compete every year and have so much money and talent

that they would be more apt to go for it if they think Q might push them over the top.

QUOTE (SoxChinMusic @ Mar 29, 2017 -> 12:24 PM)

I'd prefer a handful of guys over Stubbs. We have one the best catching prospects in the game. We badly need talent in the OF. I, too, would be fine passing on Martes, but I'd want Tucker + Fischer + Reed + Laureano + Perez or Whiteley. Throw Jennings in there if you need to.

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Mar 29, 2017 -> 01:06 PM)
I'm not sure why there is this obsession with Stubbs. I would prefer many other prospects to him.

I think people forget that we have one of the best 3 catching prospects in the game.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Mar 29, 2017 -> 10:25 AM)
Their 1B for next year and on.

They still have Gonzalez at 1B through 2018.

QUOTE (zisk @ Mar 29, 2017 -> 12:37 PM)
I agree the Astros could make it happen with several different pieces.

It seems to me that the Dodgers want to compete every year and have so much money and talent that they would be more apt to go for it if they think Q might push them over the top.

The window for the current incarnation of the Dodgers could be very small. Kershaw can opt out after next season and three other guys in their rotation are free agents, with Urias the only in house replacement near ready to help out. Gonzalez will be gone, Forsythe will be gone, and Grandal will be a FA. They also have $57M committed to Jansen, Hill, and Turner. I know money has not been an issue for them, but with rumblings last season about the amount of Dodger debt, odds are their free spending ways are going to slow down.

Trading for Q will at least bring some stability to their rotation long term, in addition it gives them one less hole to fill after the 2018 season and allows them to compete this year with the makeshift rotation they have in place.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 29, 2017 -> 01:18 PM)
Who has some serious doubts about if he can actually be a catcher defensively.

Ehh. I think those doubts are overplayed a bit. I think he still has quite a bit of development left to do on the defensive side, but I think the moving off catcher thing had more to do with the fact that his bat is pretty close to ML ready, and everyone figured the Sox would bring him up before he was ready defensively.

Now, they have time. They don't have to rush him. The Sox will give him every chance to catch, and they have a history with making poor defensive catchers good ones (see Flowers).

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Mar 29, 2017 -> 01:18 PM)
I thought he was gone after this season for some reason. Thanks for the correction. Can still end up seeing time in the OF at the MLB level for a brief stint (Toles shouldn't block anyone).

Yes, but they also have Puig, Pederson, Ethier, Van Slyke, and possibly Thompson in line for playing time in the OF as well. They have been working him in the OF, but I don't know if he can get enough at bats to warrant having him on the ML roster.