Moncada will not be rushed

southsider2k5

Connor McKnight‏Verified account @C1McKnight 1h1 hour ago Connor McKnight Retweeted Donald Parham

Moncada won't be rushed. Hahn said so again this morning. There's video in the article. http://www.wlsam.com/2017/03/03/brett-lawrie-set-to-be-released/ …://http://www.wlsam.com/2017/03/03/bre...-be-released/ …

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 3, 2017 -> 03:34 PM)

I am glad too hear it, If he plays at AAA all year I am fine with the plan.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 3, 2017 -> 09:34 PM)

I don't think Moncada is ready yet anyway. I was somewhat surprised at the release of Lawrie, but I am guessing it has to do with his injry as much as anything. I kind of liked the guy

QUOTE (Soxfest @ Mar 3, 2017 -> 05:25 PM)
I am glad too hear it, If he plays at AAA all year I am fine with the plan.

As long as they have people in Charlotte that can improve him. I am sure Hahn has a plan in place to make sure there are people and translators in place to work with him. He actually may have his own translator since that is something Boston was big on.

QUOTE (SCCWS @ Mar 3, 2017 -> 05:31 PM)
As long as they have people in Charlotte that can improve him. I am sure Hahn has a plan in place to make sure there are people and translators in place to work with him. He actually may have his own translator since that is something Boston was big on.

I would keep all top prospects down until June 2018 to secure additional control and allow them to develop in the minors. Moncada needs reps before making the jump, as do Lopez, kopech and giolito

My feeling has always been that when you rush a player with a strikeout problem, you make it very unlikely he ever manages to be something other than a very high strikeout player. Some do manage, but for the most part only the special ones.

QUOTE (turnin' two @ Mar 7, 2017 -> 07:53 PM)
I believe he only has about 200 ABs at the AA level, so even Charlotte is a fairly aggressive assignment for him.

It is but since he jumped to the majors last year, AAA is the right level. For example, Anderson had about 250 AB at AAA before he jumped to majors. Another question for Moncada is how he progresses at 2nd since he got bounced around position wise last year as well.

QUOTE (SCCWS @ Mar 8, 2017 -> 08:21 AM)
It is but since he jumped to the majors last year, AAA is the right level. For example, Anderson had about 250 AB at AAA before he jumped to majors. Another question for Moncada is how he progresses at 2nd since he got bounced around position wise last year as well.

A full season at AAA would do him a ton of good

As soon as he gets called up the pressure to perform at a high level will be very real. In AAA he can focus on development and not worry about being a franchise savior until he is ready

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 8, 2017 -> 02:37 PM)
There have been several players that skipped AAA, but he does need to go down for more seasoning and repeating AA doesn't really make sense.

There are players that have skipped AAA, but those tend to be more polished and older players.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 8, 2017 -> 02:37 PM)
and repeating AA doesn't really make sense.

I think i disagree with this.

As others have said, Moncada's ~31% k-rate in 200 or so PA in AA is a reason for concern. At the same time, he could still use some polishing defensively as well, since he was used @ more than one spot in the infield.

I don't see the harm in him starting the 1st month or so in Birmingham, working down his K-rate a bit, & perfecting the pivot @ 2B. Then, assuming he does well to reduce his Ks, move him up to Charlotte, before giving him a Sept call up. Again, this is assuming he progresses as we expect that he should.

After all, he's only 21, and i don't even think he's had 1,000 PA in the entirety of his career.

Edited by Two-Gun Pete

QUOTE (ChiliIrishHammock24 @ Mar 8, 2017 -> 11:32 PM)
I think he'll be up by May. We should all take bets on dates.

I agree with both points.

We could have $5 per entry with full payout to the winner. Set it up like a baby birthday predictor.

QUOTE (ChiliIrishHammock24 @ Mar 8, 2017 -> 09:32 PM)
I think he'll be up by May. We should all take bets on dates.

Just don't see May at all. That still seems like rushing him to me and I am not the type to usually whine about a player being rushed. He needs to start making better contact and accrue AB's against better pitching. Whenever the call up date is in September that's when I'd expect him unless he is tearing the cover off the ball in AAA.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Mar 9, 2017 -> 09:13 AM)
Just don't see May at all. That still seems like rushing him to me and I am not the type to usually whine about a player being rushed. He needs to start making better contact and accrue AB's against better pitching. Whenever the call up date is in September that's when I'd expect him unless he is tearing the cover off the ball in AAA.

I agree here. I've heard Levine say he'd be up in May, but that just seems to be a guess like anyone else.

He's never played in AAA (even though he got a look with the Red Sox). Let him go to the International League, and be one of the best players in that league at age 22, and then when he has nothing else to prove in that league, then bring him to the Sox. If that's August or September, great.

QUOTE (flavum @ Mar 9, 2017 -> 05:14 PM)
I agree here. I've heard Levine say he'd be up in May, but that just seems to be a guess like anyone else.

He's never played in AAA (even though he got a look with the Red Sox). Let him go to the International League, and be one of the best players in that league at age 22, and then when he has nothing else to prove in that league, then bring him to the Sox. If that's August or September, great.

Agreed. I'd even give him a full year in Charlotte if it benefits him long term. I don't know what the rush is in getting him to Chicago ASAP.

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Mar 9, 2017 -> 05:38 PM)
Agreed. I'd even give him a full year in Charlotte if it benefits him long term. I don't know what the rush is in getting him to Chicago ASAP.

If you call him up at the end of May you're giving him an extra 4 months of MLB experienced that does nothing to his service time. If he is playing well there is no point in leaving him down in AAA once he crosses the date to give him an extra year service time.

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Mar 10, 2017 -> 09:27 AM)
If you call him up at the end of May you're giving him an extra 4 months of MLB experienced that does nothing to his service time. If he is playing well there is no point in leaving him down in AAA once he crosses the date to give him an extra year service time.

Agreed, but at the same time it's probably better to make sure he's playing really well in AAA to avoid stunting his development (the fear if he comes up to the majors too quickly)