2017 Offseason White Sox News, Notes, and Tweets thread

southsider2k5

• Replies 673
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 26, 2017 -> 04:17 PM)
Chuck Garfien‏Verified account @ChuckGarfien 10m10 minutes ago

Hahn says they're still talking deals. Nothing huge but says "something might materialize between now and the deadline."

Melky and Gonzalez are two I would expect to be gone for sure. Wishing Shields as well.

Edit: just checked Shields stats. Doing worse than I thought.

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 26, 2017 -> 04:25 PM)
Holland has probably played himself out of a trade. With as bad as the market is for relievers, there isn't much point to trading Jenkins right now.

I don't really have a problem holding onto Holland as young guys come up, he seems like a good teammate.

Gonzalez should in fact be gone within a week, he's the only one who is really moveable for a return that could have any value.

Cabrera I still think no one will ask about him with anything serious and he'll be a waiver wire move.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 26, 2017 -> 07:12 PM)
I don't really have a problem holding onto Holland as young guys come up, he seems like a good teammate.

Gonzalez should in fact be gone within a week, he's the only one who is really moveable for a return that could have any value.

Cabrera I still think no one will ask about him with anything serious and he'll be a waiver wire move.

Pretty much agree with all of this. I could see Holland being a waiver deal too, but won't lose sleep either way.

Random White sox question :

If I buy corner upper upper deck tickets for $5 or $7 dollars, will I be able to move around, say, to an empty seat in the upper upper deck more behind the plate? Or will there be White Sox police stopping me from entering anywhere even tho there will be many empty seats?

I used to be able to do this when I'd go to Tampa Bay Ray games in Florida. Buy the cheapest tickets, move all around the stadium (only spot that I couldn't go was near the front front row for obvious reasons).

Thanks.

QUOTE (iWin4Ron @ Jul 27, 2017 -> 01:23 PM)

If I buy corner upper upper deck tickets for $5 or $7 dollars, will I be able to move around, say, to an empty seat in the upper upper deck more behind the plate? Or will there be White Sox police stopping me from entering anywhere even tho there will be many empty seats?

I used to be able to do this when I'd go to Tampa Bay Ray games in Florida. Buy the cheapest tickets, move all around the stadium (only spot that I couldn't go was near the front front row for obvious reasons).

Thanks.

Supposedlly for games with less than 20k in attendance they aren't checking upper/lower deck tickets.

QUOTE (iWin4Ron @ Jul 27, 2017 -> 01:23 PM)

Thanks.

You could probably go downstairs and sit behind the dugout...no joke.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 27, 2017 -> 01:25 PM)
Supposedlly for games with less than 20k in attendance they aren't checking upper/lower deck tickets.

It's 25k and it makes sense. When there is a good crowd, if they let everyone walk on the 100-level, it would be obnoxiously more crowded than it already is.

QUOTE (EvilJester99 @ Jul 26, 2017 -> 06:05 PM)
Merkin tweeted: Hahn on interest in his starting pitchers: "Huge interest. They better call quick." He said with a smile.

Didn't see this yesterday. That's awesome. I can see interest in Gonzalez and even Pelfrey now (don't see them bringing much back, maybe a couple low level 19/20 year olds) as back end guys. Getting anything for Pelfrey would be amazing since Tigers are paying his salary and we all expected nothing out of him.

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Jul 27, 2017 -> 01:28 PM)
Didn't see this yesterday. That's awesome. I can see interest in Gonzalez and even Pelfrey now (don't see them bringing much back, maybe a couple low level 19/20 year olds) as back end guys. Getting anything for Pelfrey would be amazing since Tigers are paying his salary and we all expected nothing out of him.

I feel like he is being sarcastic

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ Jul 27, 2017 -> 01:45 PM)
I feel like he is being sarcastic

Gonzalez may have some suitors but no significant return.

Who would want Holland and Pelfrey on the mound for them in a pennant race? I don't think they want to trade Abreu, so really Melky and Gonzalez, and Melky may be an August guy are the 2 left to move. Then this winter will be incredibly dull. Everyone will be in their best shape and look better than ever on the field for spring training. Then the season will commence, as will the long losing streaks. The draft will occur. Everyone will declare Hostetler a genius. Then more losing, maybe a couple of call ups in August and September for some hope, then offseason 2018-2019 which will be either extremely interesting or extremely dull, depending on the development.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 27, 2017 -> 01:51 PM)
Gonzalez may have some suitors but no significant return.

Who would want Holland and Pelfrey on the mound for them in a pennant race? I don't think they want to trade Abreu, so really Melky and Gonzalez, and Melky may be an August guy are the 2 left to move. Then this winter will be incredibly dull. Everyone will be in their best shape and look better than ever on the field for spring training. Then the season will commence, as will the long losing streaks. The draft will occur. Everyone will declare Hostetler a genius. Then more losing, maybe a couple of call ups in August and September for some hope, then offseason 2018-2019 which will be either extremely interesting or extremely dull, depending on the development.

We will get the next Colton Turner for him.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 27, 2017 -> 01:51 PM)
I don't think they want to trade Abreu, so really Melky and Gonzalez, and Melky may be an August guy are the 2 left to move. Then this winter will be incredibly dull. Everyone will be in their best shape and look better than ever on the field for spring training. Then the season will commence, as will the long losing streaks. The draft will occur. Everyone will declare Hostetler a genius. Then more losing, maybe a couple of call ups in August and September for some hope, then offseason 2018-2019 which will be either extremely interesting or extremely dull, depending on the development.

So true. The next ~15 months of White Sox baseball is going to be really boring.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Jul 27, 2017 -> 02:42 PM)
So true. The next ~15 months of White Sox baseball is going to be really boring.

I'm going to find watching these guys get called up to be too much fun. I haven't purchased my tickets for when they're in Houston yet because I'm hoping Giolito or Lopez will be on the bump one of those games.

And I can't wait to see Kopech.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Jul 27, 2017 -> 02:42 PM)

Yeah other than seeing some of the older interesting prospects and Lopez and Giolito and of course Moncada, that's pretty much it. And even they should have their struggles. Kopech I think we will see in 19. Let him build his inning up.

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 27, 2017 -> 03:13 PM)
I'm going to find watching these guys get called up to be too much fun. I haven't purchased my tickets for when they're in Houston yet because I'm hoping Giolito or Lopez will be on the bump one of those games.

And I can't wait to see Kopech.

I'd be shocked if we see Kopech before 2019.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Jul 27, 2017 -> 03:16 PM)
I'd be shocked if we see Kopech before 2019.

Kopech is about to hit 100 IP in a season for the first time.. in his life. He is also still walking 5 guys per 9 innings. While there is a lot to be excited about with him, he is still under construction at this point. Let's get him to stop walking guys and start pitching into the 7th inning more regularly, and get him up to around 150 IP in a season before we start talking about him in Chicago.