Nationals acquire Doolittle/Madson from As

Whisox05

• Replies 774
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ May 22, 2017 -> 01:12 PM)
Would love to have Robles but not at the expense of adding Burdi to the deal. Burdi presents two options going forward, 1) he could be the future Sox closer 2) he could net a Giles type haul in another year or two that would easily net more value than Robles currently presents, which admittedly is alot. Trading Burdi now, IMHO, would not exactly be the best way to maximise his trade value.

That said, if the Nat's were willing to offer Robles along with one of Kieboom/Soto and a lesser third piece for Robertson/Burdi, I'm all ears.

If the Nats would do this trade, you say yes 100 times out of 100. But I don't think they would even consider it. They need immediate help in their bullpen, not a minor league pitcher - even if he's close. Because he might have a few years of bumps and bruises to start his MLB career.

QUOTE (bmags @ May 22, 2017 -> 01:16 PM)
Robles is better in ranking now than anything Giles returned so it would represent a strategy to utilize a ceiling lockdown reliever for a potential 5 tool CFer. I would make that deal.

I like Burdi though, I think he'll be great. But Robles if he was awesome would be >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Burdi

No doubt about it. I guess I'm basing my POV off previously discussed proposals in this thread. A few of us have liked the idea of Robertson for Soto + Kieboom. Let's say that's a fair offer ( no idea if it is ), adding Burdi to Robertson should net at least Robles + one of Kieboom/Soto. But I admit, this is based on a hypothetical scenario that I'm not sure is realistic. Major spitballing on my part.

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ May 22, 2017 -> 01:29 PM)
If I am a rebuilding team, I am not trading any of my core prospects unless I am getting a young established star in return. So I'm not trading Burdi for Robles, I also don't think it will come to that

I would rank BUrdi as a "nice to have", but not a core prospect. We should be able to get unrefined power arms for the bullpen in the next two years.

QUOTE (Soha @ May 22, 2017 -> 01:23 PM)
If the Nats would do this trade, you say yes 100 times out of 100. But I don't think they would even consider it. They need immediate help in their bullpen, not a minor league pitcher - even if he's close. Because he might have a few years of bumps and bruises to start his MLB career.

Their new closer is a minor league pitcher from the '15 draft class, Koda Glover. I think it's a safe speculation that a team desperate for bullpen help that just named a rookie their closer would see plenty of value in Burdi. Adding Robertson and Burdi to Glover has to be enticing to Rizzo right about now. But it would cost, more than Robles alone.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ May 22, 2017 -> 01:21 PM)
Burdi and Robertson for Robles would be a fantastic move by Hahn.

If I am the Nationals I am not trading Robles

Robles is 100% the replacement for Harper once he leaves in free agency

If the Nationals were truly desperate for relief help they could certainly deal guys like Soto, Keiboom, Stephenson or Neuse. Those guys would be able to get you quality relievers.

Robles and Fedde are not going to be traded

QUOTE (steveno89 @ May 22, 2017 -> 01:10 PM)
If I am the Nationals I am not trading Robles

Robles is 100% the replacement for Harper once he leaves in free agency

If the Nationals were truly desperate for relief help they could certainly deal guys like Soto, Keiboom, Stephenson or Neuse. Those guys would be able to get you quality relievers.

Robles and Fedde are not going to be traded

If Washington loses Harper they are toast. Robles isn't close to being that impactful and even if he does come close you are just treading water. They're gameplan should be to try to win a WS in the next two years while they have the chance because if Harper leaves it's a wrap. Sometimes you have to make tough decisions to win it all. If it were me I probably would want more than the discussed package for Robles but I wouldn't make him untouchable with the roster they have.

We have a ton of arms. If you can't get Robles unless you include Burdi with Robertson, you do that all day long. Between Fulmer, Giolito, Kopech, Hansen and Lopez, at least one of those guys is probably going to end up in the pen, and likely as a closer. If Burdi gets you one of the best position player prospects in the game along w Robertson, that is exactly the type of trade the Sox should be looking at, considering the arms they have in their system.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ May 22, 2017 -> 02:55 PM)
We have a ton of arms. If you can't get Robles unless you include Burdi with Robertson, you do that all day long. Between Fulmer, Giolito, Kopech, Hansen and Lopez, at least one of those guys is probably going to end up in the pen, and likely as a closer. If Burdi gets you one of the best position player prospects in the game along w Robertson, that is exactly the type of trade the Sox should be looking at, considering the arms they have in their system.

Sox would do that trade in a heartbeat. WAS wouldn't.

I just want to reiterate the need we get more production out of INTL scouting.

Washington signed Robles for 225k. Atlanta signed Albies for 350k. Signed Acuna for 100k. NWe are prepared to send out a 1st round pick for players we could have identified ourselves. These aren't the crazy bonuses of players or even million dollar signings like Torres and Juan Soto. Drives me nuts how almost all of our trade targets were largely bargain J2 signings.

QUOTE (bmags @ May 22, 2017 -> 02:39 PM)

Washington signed Robles for 225k. Atlanta signed Albies for 350k. Signed Acuna for 100k. NWe are prepared to send out a 1st round pick for players we could have identified ourselves. These aren't the crazy bonuses of players or even million dollar signings like Torres and Juan Soto. Drives me nuts how almost all of our trade targets were largely bargain J2 signings.

+1101011011

QUOTE (bmags @ May 22, 2017 -> 03:39 PM)

Valid point, which is why if you are going to rebuild properly the minor league drafting / scouting / developmental part of the franchise has simply got to be pretty good.

For all the improvements the Sox have made I still wonder about the minor league operation and the scouting departments.

I haven't heard of a lot of changes in those areas myself. And the track record in those areas over the past 10 years hasn't been very good.

Perhaps one of the minor leagues aficionados can educate me on this.

QUOTE (bmags @ May 22, 2017 -> 05:39 PM)

Fair point but how many guys signed for 300k end up being nothing? Not exactly like your examples are representative of the average signing.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ May 22, 2017 -> 11:14 PM)
Seems like most of the contenders are pretty solid at closer, unfortunately. Nats are a big exception, perhaps the NL Central teams too, but at this point, supply may exceed demand.

Teams aren't just worried about the closer spot, they want deep bullpens with multiple high leverage relievers. I can't recall a deadline where supply exceeded demand for relievers.

QUOTE (NCsoxfan @ May 22, 2017 -> 05:39 PM)
Fair point but how many guys signed for 300k end up being nothing? Not exactly like your examples are representative of the average signing.

All of the ones the white Sox sign.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ May 21, 2017 -> 04:38 PM)
Strasburg pitched today. Scherzer pitched yesterday and only went 5 because of a 2 hour rain delay

You're right, Ky. The Seattle announcer on the baseball package said Scherzer was pulled. Tks.

QUOTE (oldsox @ May 22, 2017 -> 07:29 PM)
You're right, Ky. The Seattle announcer on the baseball package said Scherzer was pulled. Tks.

Nightengale reported the Nationals were set to send luzardo and ward to the sox for Robertson, with the six picking up half the contract, but financial terms could not get agreed upon.

You would have to think Robertson's stock is up from the off-season due to strong performance?

QUOTE (steveno89 @ May 22, 2017 -> 08:12 PM)
Nightengale reported the Nationals were set to send luzardo and ward to the sox for Robertson, with the six picking up half the contract, but financial terms could not get agreed upon.

You would have to think Robertson's stock is up from the off-season due to strong performance?

I read that earlier and I laughed at myself for the proposals I've thrown out there. Ward is an interesting 3B prospect though. Hopefully the Nat's desperation combined with Robertson off to a good start will force the Nat's to increase their offer if they go after Robertson again. Wonder if the Sox could land Ward and one of Soto/Kieboom?

QUOTE (steveno89 @ May 22, 2017 -> 08:12 PM)

lol...ok Nightengale.