May 24 game thread Sox at D-backs

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Leury Garcia, have yourself another good game.

Sox continue to battle back on most occasions this season. Didn't really expect a double or homer there from Smith despite the two hits. Hoover struck out the side, and Frazier last inning.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ May 24, 2017 -> 05:03 PM)
Damn. I don't think it moves the needle much, but it's another data point. At this point might make sense to hang onto him unless you get bowled over with an offer.

I was following on Game Day and specifically looking at exit velocities. There were several hard hit balls but also several hits in the 75-85 mph exit velocity range. He didn't pitch well but he didn't pitch 8 ER, .583 BABIP bad. I know I'm fighting a losing battle with this but I don't think his trade value is remarkably different from what it was a few hours ago.

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ May 24, 2017 -> 04:27 PM)
I was following on Game Day and specifically looking at exit velocities. There were several hard hit balls but also several hits in the 75-85 mph exit velocity range. He didn't pitch well but he didn't pitch 8 ER, .583 BABIP bad. I know I'm fighting a losing battle with this but I don't think his trade value is remarkably different from what it was a few hours ago.

He's had enough bad starts this year that the people who talk him down as a #3 or #4 starter have a lot more ammo. It might not be much different from a few hours ago, but its certainly much different than it was this offseason.

QUOTE (daggins @ May 24, 2017 -> 05:29 PM)
He's had enough bad starts this year that the people who talk him down as a #3 or #4 starter have a lot more ammo. It might not be much different from a few hours ago, but its certainly much different than it was this offseason.

No argument there

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 24, 2017 -> 10:31 PM)
When's the last time a pitcher with a 4.9 era was acquired for a huge prospect package in the middle of the season?

Not easy to use "sabes" to sell a move like that to your fanbase. Joking, but not 100%

Agreed, good luck unloading the farm for a big ERA like that.

Q had thrown five good games in a row. Today was not one of them.

The Sox to me are looking tired. They've come back to make a game of it a lot of times but never enough to get over the hump.

I just think all these road games are catching up to them.

QUOTE (Lip Man 1 @ May 24, 2017 -> 05:53 PM)
Q had thrown five good games in a row. Today was not one of them.

The Sox to me are looking tired. They've come back to make a game of it a lot of times but never enough to get over the hump.

I just think all these road games are catching up to them.

Yeah, I hate seeing lines like today's, but Quintana was pretty damn good for five straight starts before this one. Just got to hope he can return to form for most of June & Jule and get his numbers closer to recent levels.

Edited by Chicago White Sox

People need to put things in perspective. This is a bad team. Despite numerous players playing way better than expected and highly unlikely to maintain that level, they are 1 game better than the worst record in the AL. They will be horrible. Q will be fine. Had a bad couple of innings today. His ERA won't be 4.90 at the deadline. Randy Johnson had a 4.33 at the deadline and got traded for 3 decent prospects including Freddy Garcia. He had a 1.28 ERA the rest of the way.

QUOTE (harkness @ May 25, 2017 -> 12:31 AM)
When he gets runners on base he is monumentally slow...

It's pretty horrid.

Ok and that is the observations of Hawk and Stone also. Stone is puzzled by how slow and deliberate Q becomes from the stretch

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 24, 2017 -> 05:31 PM)
People need to put things in perspective. This is a bad team. Despite numerous players playing way better than expected and highly unlikely to maintain that level, they are 1 game better than the worst record in the AL. They will be horrible. Q will be fine. Had a bad couple of innings today. His ERA won't be 4.90 at the deadline. Randy Johnson had a 4.33 at the deadline and got traded for 3 decent prospects including Freddy Garcia. He had a 1.28 ERA the rest of the way.

You're talking about a HoF pitcher, perhaps the most dominant strikeout guy of his generation.

It's a good point about a 4+ ERA, but you ask 100 casual fans to name the best 10 starting pitchers in baseball and Q's name might come up once or twice (SABES owners or White Sox fans).

If you asked that question at the time of the Big Unit trade, he would have been on 100/100 fan lists.

And even then, you're talking about a full 1/2 point of ERA. Below 4.5, the perception is you're closer to 4 and being in a decent band range. 4.82, you're closer to 5. Once again, perception is more important than reality in statistics.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 24, 2017 -> 06:31 PM)

Might be better to trade him in the offseason anyway.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 24, 2017 -> 09:02 PM)
You're talking about a HoF pitcher, perhaps the most dominant strikeout guy of his generation.

It's a good point about a 4+ ERA, but you ask 100 casual fans to name the best 10 starting pitchers in baseball and Q's name might come up once or twice (SABES owners or White Sox fans).

If you asked that question at the time of the Big Unit trade, he would have been on 100/100 fan lists.

And even then, you're talking about a full 1/2 point of ERA. Below 4.5, the perception is you're closer to 4 and being in a decent band range. 4.82, you're closer to 5. Once again, perception is more important than reality in statistics.

It is also 3 months vs. 3 years.

And fans don't make the trades. Q was lousy for 2 innings yesterday. If he hadn't beeen his ERA would be a run or more lower. What was Samardzija's ERA in 2015 when he got $90 million?

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 25, 2017 -> 04:28 AM)
It is also 3 months vs. 3 years.

And fans don't make the trades. Q was lousy for 2 innings yesterday. If he hadn't beeen his ERA would be a run or more lower. What was Samardzija's ERA in 2015 when he got $90 million?

Well, nobody accused the White Sox or Giants' front offices of always being right.

It's actually amazing how much more respect Bochy has gotten compared to Sabean for that string of title runs.

I wonder if Han could have gotten the same return for a Q deal as he surrendered to rent Chapman for a couple months. White Sox fans would take that deal in a heartbeat right now.

Edited by caulfield12