Draft Prospect Preview: Jeren Kendall

NorthSideSox72

Absolutely do not want him. He may be a special athlete with the ability to play CF, but his swing-and-miss tendencies are too extreme for me. Additionally, nothing about the White Sox organization makes me feel optimistic that we could turn him into a solid hitter. Just not the the offensive profile that we would have success with, in my opinion.

Edited by maggsmaggs

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ May 25, 2017 -> 05:43 PM)
Absolutely do not want him. He may be a special athlete with the ability to play CF, but his swing-and-miss tendencies are too extreme for me. Additionally, nothing about the White Sox organization makes me feel optimistic that we could turn him into a solid hitter. Just not the the offensive profile that we would have success with, in my opinion.

Great work as always. If Haseley is off the board, I am all for Kendall. Haseley seems to bring the whole enchilada, but everyone else has some concerns. Faedo has had a rough go of it at times, Smith has had a less impact during conference play and plays a position of low defensive impact. HS players are HS players. It seems that many here have the opinion that Haseley is option 1, but for me, if he is off the board, Kendall is a very strong second option. The swing and miss is a concern, but if that wasn't a part of his game, well, there is no way he would be available for the Sox to even consider at 11.

A lot of mocks have the Sox taking this guy now. I think it's because Hahn reportedly met with Kendall recently. I'd rather they pass on him, though I want a bat for sure.

Edited by Soha

QUOTE (Soha @ Jun 5, 2017 -> 05:42 AM)
A lot of mocks have the Sox taking this guy now. I think it's because Hahn reportedly met with Kendall recently. I'd rather they pass on him, though I want a bat for sure.

Hard to say what better position player options might be available to us at #11 overall?

I'm actually intrigued about Evan White's potential to be converted into an outfielder?

MLB.com's scouting report on him as a first baseman:

Scouting grades: Hit: 55 | Power: 50 | Run: 60 | Arm: 55 | Field: 70 | Overall: 55

Those tools seem like they could be a fit for moving him to the outfield, where his lack of power profiles better?

Could be an underslot signing?

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Jun 5, 2017 -> 10:40 AM)
Hard to say what better position player options might be available to us at #11 overall?

I'm actually intrigued about Evan White's potential to be converted into an outfielder?

Scouting grades: Hit: 55 | Power: 50 | Run: 60 | Arm: 55 | Field: 70 | Overall: 55

Those tools seem like they could be a fit for moving him to the outfield, where his lack of power profiles better?

I also like how it's not just "good defense" at first, they are saying elite defense at 1st. So if he can't move to OF for some reason (given his athleticism seems like corner of should be feasible), you are getting something interesting.

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Jun 5, 2017 -> 10:40 AM)

What about Keston Hiura? It's been said he might be the best hitter in this draft,. The thing is, you might have to do TJ surgery on him and lose him for a year+ after you draft him. If any team can wait that out, it's the Sox in their current stage of rebuilding.

QUOTE (Lillian @ Jun 5, 2017 -> 01:02 PM)
I just watched this interesting analysis of Kendall's mechanics, by "Rebellion" and it's a little alarming:

http://www.minorleagueball.com/2017/3/6/14...lb-draft-report

It's the last video on the page and it may have already been posted here, but just in case it hasn't, it's worth watching.

Its amazing how many hitting experts there are out there. Amazing anyone could play baseball before Youtube.

QUOTE (Hatchetman @ Jun 5, 2017 -> 02:02 PM)
Its amazing how many hitting experts there are out there. Amazing anyone could play baseball before Youtube.

Yes, but do you agree with his analysis? I hope that Kendall has learned to point his front foot more toward the pitcher. Maintaining his foot angle toward the plate, while striding, is not only not conducive to generating power, but it looks like it would put a lot of stress on that leg.

Edited by Lillian

QUOTE (Lillian @ Jun 5, 2017 -> 02:04 PM)
Yes, but do you agree with his analysis? I hope that Kendall has learned to point his front foot more toward the pitcher. Maintaining his foot angle toward the plate, while striding, is not only not conducive to generating power, but it looks like it would put a lot of stress on that leg.

I honestly have no idea anymore. I grew up with the now extinct Charley Lau approach. People on here tell me holding the bat up to the sky while the ball is approaching you is no problem.

QUOTE (Soha @ Jun 5, 2017 -> 01:12 PM)
What about Keston Hiura? It's been said he might be the best hitter in this draft,. The thing is, you might have to do TJ surgery on him and lose him for a year+ after you draft him. If any team can wait that out, it's the Sox in their current stage of rebuilding.

Huira has a plus hit tool, but aside from that there's not much else that stands out. His arm and fielding are both graded a bit below average. I would rather take a more well rounded player at #11 overall.

Huira as a underslot signing? Perhaps, but I'd rather go for higher upside.

QUOTE (Hatchetman @ Jun 5, 2017 -> 01:02 PM)

I posted the video here before. The baseball rebellion guy knows his stuff, he worked with many top amateurs and some pros.

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Jun 5, 2017 -> 03:11 PM)
Huira has a plus hit tool, but aside from that there's not much else that stands out. His arm and fielding are both graded a bit below average. I would rather take a more well rounded player at #11 overall.

Huira as a underslot signing? Perhaps, but I'd rather go for higher upside.

I thought his defense was graded as unknown, due to not being able to play in the field the past year? Honestly, the best hitter in the draft is enough for me. It's not like we're picking 2nd or 3rd here. You're going to have some questions about who you pick with the #11 pick. If you draft him and get his health issues sorted, you then hope to make him the potential left fielder of the future. And if you can do it as an underslot signing, all the better.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Jun 7, 2017 -> 10:39 AM)
Its not really his swing mechanics that bother me but his insane k rate and mediocre college production, at least for a top pick.

He does certainly come with a low floor.

Well, isn't his floor the same as everyone else? He may not make it. The same can be said for even the "safest" of picks. And while he has a floor because of swing and miss in his game, he also has a pretty significant ceiling because of his power, speed, and defense. Would Kendall be the safest pick? Well, probably not. But, if a team drafts based on floor, well, that would in all likelihood be a pretty mediocre team for a pretty long period of time. Mike Trout was a riskier pick than Jered Mitchell at the time. Gordon Beckham was a pretty safe pick. Chris Sale was pretty risky. A player's floor needs to be balanced with his ceiling and the likelihood of achieving either. It also needs to be balanced with a middle of the road projection. If you never take a risk on drafting a player, you will probably never draft a star, unless you are drafting 1 or 2.

I think my preference at this point would be Beck, then Kendall, then Adell. But, my preference means absolutely nothing. In reality, which ever player the team decides to take, I will probably be pretty excited and invested in until they show me I shouldn't be anymore.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Jun 7, 2017 -> 08:39 AM)
Its not really his swing mechanics that bother me but his insane k rate and mediocre college production, at least for a top pick.

He does certainly come with a low floor.

His floor is an elite defensive 4th outfielder with pop. Ceiling is an all-star centerfielder.

QUOTE (hi8is @ Jun 11, 2017 -> 05:58 PM)
His floor is an elite defensive 4th outfielder with pop. Ceiling is an all-star centerfielder.

That seems like an extreme stretch on his floor. That outcome may be a 50th percentile type scenario, but not sure that's the floor or "worst case scenario". If that was worst case scenario he's probably top 3.