DRAFT TRACKER 2017, and Day One Discussion

NorthSideSox72

• Replies 614
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Soxfest @ Jun 12, 2017 -> 07:20 PM)
Just my opinion that he will be under slot

I don't think burger will end up being under slot. Not a bad pick considering what was on the board. If he sticks at third he could be a MLB regular. Have to like the power potential.

Edited by steveno89

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jun 12, 2017 -> 07:19 PM)
Got Eaton that way.

I just don't see any value in reaching.

There aren't many reaches in 10-30.

Do me a favor, you and 30 of your friends rank 30 things. See how quickly it diverges.

The 10 best players were off board. This tier was a crap shoot.

QUOTE (TheFutureIsNear @ Jun 12, 2017 -> 07:21 PM)
Draft clearly didn't go as we hoped. Burger was the safest bat left and I don't have a problem with it all.

I don't either but we need a lot of young athleticism in rounds 2-10

QUOTE (TheFutureIsNear @ Jun 12, 2017 -> 07:21 PM)
Draft clearly didn't go as we hoped. Burger was the safest bat left and I don't have a problem with it all.

Fits the mold they started in last years draft. I have no problem taking a safe bat over a tool guy, the Sox need them.

John Manuel @johnmanuelba

5m

They'll have to with Burger, but the power may be worth the gamble. But him going that high is a bit of a surprise for me

JJ Cooper @jjcoop36

Teams believe that defense is the thing they can coach up the most in pro ball.

Seems they liked Burger as a hitter more than White....he's certainly very stocky.

One of the concerns with White was not walking enough. Seems like a down to earth kid like Crede, maybe a bit more personality.

Somehow, we've got to get some plus defenders on that field, though.

At any rate, that pick was in there in a heartbeat. No hesitation...seems everyone knew how the first ten would fall.

Watching Hiura more, not sold 100% on him, either.

Edited by caulfield12

Scouting report on the kid:

With 10 of its pitchers appearing in the Majors since the turn of the century, Missouri State is known for producing mound talent. Yet the Bears' two best big leaguers have been position players Bill Mueller and Ryan Howard, and they should have their first ever selected in the first round in 2017. Burger went undrafted out of high school but has blossomed into a college star, finishing second in NCAA Division I with 21 home runs in 2016 and winning Missouri Valley Conference player of the year honors this spring, when he led the league in all three triple crown categories (.341-22-63) entering NCAA tournament play. Though he went homerless with the U.S. college national team during the summer, scouts still recognize Burger as one of the top power sources available in a Draft class short on college hitters. He generates his pop more with strength than bat speed, and there are some worries about an arm bar in his right-handed swing. He controls the strike zone well and makes reliable contact for a slugger, so he should hit for some average as well. While Burger isn't the most graceful player, one scout compared him to Hunter Pence for his ability to get the job done in less than pretty fashion. Despite his large frame, he has average speed out of the batter's box and decent range at third base. With his solid arm, reliable hands and admirable work ethic, he should be able to stay at the hot corner.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jun 12, 2017 -> 07:25 PM)
I like Burger but let's stop acting like it's a guarantee that good college hitters are so predictable that they would have a floor of all star DH

No one did, but there are some acting like UNLESS HE STAYS AT 3B THIS IS A BAD PICK!!!!1!1! which is incredibly f***ing stupid.