White Sox pick 3B Jake Burger at #11

NorthSideSox72

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Callis: He had back-to-back monster seasons at Missouri State and might have the most usable power in this Draft. And while he's not the prettiest-looking player, he gets the job done. He manages the strike zone well, runs better than you think, and he's got a chance to stick at third base.

http://m.mlb.com/news/article/235976306/ml...opicId=27118122

Comments on Evan White, Bellinger defensively/Piscotty offensively...Markakis at his best, or poor man's Erik Hosmer?

Much like Wake Forest third baseman Will Craig in 2016, Burger is the bad-bodied but big hitting third baseman whose track record of excellent offensive production will be hard for teams to ignore if they are looking for the safety of picking a college hitter. Burger’s power is some of the best in this draft class. He’s a fastball hitter with above-average bat speed who can catch up to premium velocity, but he’s also aware enough of the strike zone and has the pitch recognition to lay off tough off-speed offerings to put himself in fastball counts. Much like Todd Frazier, his swing includes an arm bar, but he’s been strong enough to make it work. In pro ball, his swing means he’ll likely sacrifice batting average for power. As of mid-May, he had 19 home runs, meaning he’s likely to reach 20 home runs for the second straight season and he does it while hitting for average (.344 career batting average) and while walking more than he’s struck out this season. Whether Burger can stick at third base will depend on how much work the team that drafts him is willing to do. His feet work relatively well and his arm is average and accurate, but he lacks a quick first step and is limited in his range.

Twitter handle: @Burgatron13

Read more at http://www.baseballamerica.com/draft/mlb-2...jhu1yWDIk8G8.99

Body and swing are not pretty but he gets the job done and he has a lot of power. I feel this is a couple of spots too high for him but then again 11 is not a save spot to pick a star and I think it is unlikely that he really busts. Worst case he is a tyler white (bad bodied first baseman)and best case he is a young todd frazier if he can improve his body some. That is not bad at all, prefer that to another toolsy of with flaws.

Now for some good video...

I didn't find any highlight reels on Youtube, but I went through Missouri St. game highlights and copied the URL at the times when there is a #BurgerBomb.

(Absolute monster shot out of the entire complex, over the scoreboard. 450+)

(Wall scraper, but still a grand slam)

(I think it landed in a cemetery)

And hey look, good defense too!

(Nice back pick on a tough hop)

(Showing surprisingly quick hands/transfer on chopper)

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/mlb/article155796744.html

Missouri State junior third baseman Jake Burger didn’t have to wait long to hear his name called by commissioner Rob Manfred in the Major League Baseball draft on Monday night.

With the No. 11 overall pick in the draft, the Chicago White Sox tabbed Burger as their future third baseman.

“Today was incredibly stressful, and last night was really emotional (MSU was eliminated in the NCAA Super Regional by TCU, ending Burger’s career as a Bear),” Burger said. “Hearing my name called by the commissioner lifted so much weight off my shoulders.”

Burger, who went to high school at Christian Brothers College in St. Louis, led Missouri State to two Missouri Valley Conference titles as well as two NCAA Super Regional appearances during his three-year tenure.

“I can’t even begin to thank Missouri State for all they have done for me,” Burger said. “That is the best developmental program in the country. … They consistently produce MLB players.”

As a senior in high school, Burger hit just four home runs. But as a sophomore at MSU, he developed into one of the most dangerous power hitters in college baseball. Over the past two years, Burger crushed 43 home runs.

“Hitting home runs is definitely an art because it’s not something you just wake up knowing how to do,” Burger said. “It’s something you have to teach yourself, and the coaches at MSU have really helped me over the past two years in that category.”

Just over a week ago, Burger received first-team All-America honors from Baseball America after finishing seventh in the nation in home runs (22) and sixth in runs scored (69).

The 2017 Missouri Valley Conference Player of the Year ranks second among all active Division I players with 47 career home runs. And in just three years, he racked up 241 hits, which is the 11th most in MSU’s history.

Burger has been a lifelong fan of the White Sox and considers it a dream to be drafted by his favorite organization.

"I have loved the White Sox ever since I was a little kid, so this is an absolute dream come true,” Burger said. “I couldn’t be happier even if I wanted to.”

Read more here: http://www.kansascity.com/sports/mlb/artic...l#storylink=cpy

QUOTE (ChiliIrishHammock24 @ Jun 12, 2017 -> 11:21 PM)
Uhh....so I guess this is why Longenhagen was not a fan of Burger's defense....

Yiiiikes.

Potential nicknames that come to mind while watching that video...

Lumber Jake

The Boot

Mr. Graceful

Burger Bomb

Sweet Hip Shaker

( edit: I posted this Buger Bomb reference without reading your post Chili )

:lolhitting

Edited by hi8is

IMO, that was an awful first round pick, just awful. A nothing burger. This guy is a tank who will box out further with age. He looks like a lot of the big boys who used to play 16" softball around the Chicago park district diamonds.

That video showing him stumbling over his own feet and falling down (twice) while attempting to corral routine ground balls should have been enough to tell Hostetler that this was the wrong guy. Its hard to Draft major league talent after the first 10 picks, I guess. Wow, just wow.. OK, perhaps a RH DH, But we already have Davidson so what was the purpose in drafting a guy like this?

Edited by miracleon35th

The reports on his defense are not bad everyone occasionally boots a grounder that is nothing to worry about. The worries about his defense come more from his body type.

I don't love the pick but I don't think he will be a bust. The swing is not pretty but he has proven that he can hit at the highest college level. I don't think he will be a 300 hitter but if he becomes a 35 hr guy that is ok.

The swing reminds me of todd frazier an if he hits like a young todd frazier that is fine even as a DH.

We have Davidson who looks like he can be here for several years so where does this guy fit in? Courtney Hawkins and now Burger..

Burger is never going to play third base in the majors at that weight especially with his lack of balance and mobility. He looked like his shoelaces were tied together on those ground balls. A wasted 1st round pick.

Edited by miracleon35th

Hostetler likes his chances at 3B. If this organization has truly improved with prospects getting better defensively (Collins looks great this year) then I like the kid's chances of staying there. I love Burger as a hitter. If he stays at 3B (which he probably will) he's a very, very good prospect. And with the Sheets selection, the Sox feel that way about his future there too.

QUOTE (miracleon35th @ Jun 13, 2017 -> 05:41 AM)
We have Davidson who looks like he can be here for several years so where does this guy fit in? Courtney Hawkins and now Burger..

Burger is never going to play third base in the majors at that weight especially with his lack of balance and mobility. He looked like his shoelaces were tied together on those ground balls. A wasted 1st round pick.

Burger probably won't be ready for 2+ years. I have no problem with Davidson holding down the fort until them but not penciling him in as an important part of the future (although maybe he can be a bench corner bat and platoon with whoever is at 1B or DH).

And with Kendall or White, we'd be hearing all about swing and miss issues, or Scott Boras, and about the sad tales of Barnum/Hawkins/Walker/Mitchell...or how Evan White won't hit more than 15 homers and doesn't have the power for a corner outfield spot. Do we want an outfielder who maxes out as Piscotty? It's not like we missed out on Mike Trout here, folks.

While it's true you can luck out and sign Moreland or Morrison this offseason for peanuts...the negative slant here is mostly predicated on posters being right and Hostetler being wrong in projecting his defense and work ethic.

Hostetler should have earned our respect with his last draft, and there's no way to begin to evaluate the big/ger picture until at least three years from now anyway.

How many games did Hawkins win for the White Sox with that back flip, btw?

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (NCsoxfan @ Jun 13, 2017 -> 07:21 AM)
Man you guys are acting like Austin Beck was available and we passed on him for Burger.

There was no easy answer at 11.

Yeah Burger isn't the most exciting pick, but I would have said the same about JBB, Kendall and White as well, so I'm fine with it.

QUOTE (miracleon35th @ Jun 13, 2017 -> 03:44 AM)
IMO, that was an awful first round pick, just awful. A nothing burger. This guy is a tank who will box out further with age. He looks like a lot of the big boys who used to play 16" softball around the Chicago park district diamonds.

That video showing him stumbling over his own feet and falling down (twice) while attempting to corral routine ground balls should have been enough to tell Hostetler that this was the wrong guy. Its hard to Draft major league talent after the first 10 picks, I guess. Wow, just wow.. OK, perhaps a RH DH, But we already have Davidson so what was the purpose in drafting a guy like this?

The draft just didn't pan out like the Sox probably had hoped. We needed one team ahead of us to make a reach, and it didn't happen. The Sox were in the position where the draft fell off.

If nothing else, this should be a good example for people who think tanking isn't important. A few years ago the Sox missed out on Benintendi over a couple of wins, and now they are in the first spot that this draft falls off. There's never guarantees, even with the top pick, but your chances sure are better the higher you go.

QUOTE (Soha @ Jun 13, 2017 -> 09:06 AM)
If nothing else, this should be a good example for people who think tanking isn't important. A few years ago the Sox missed out on Benintendi over a couple of wins, and now they are in the first spot that this draft falls off. There's never guarantees, even with the top pick, but your chances sure are better the higher you go.

exactly what I was thinking. A couple of meaningless wins last year cost us some of the most appealing guys in the draft.

Yeah there was just no easy answer, and JB dropping way down should have said what people thought about his potential to stay a starter. They may be incredibly wrong, but just shows it wasn't an easy answer for any of the teams.

I could come up with combos I'd like a little more, but we ended up getting some of the best power available, and we did not have much power in this org outside of Charlotte. It may fail, but you do need to find power.

Today will be pretty interesting though. Last year I wasn't crazy about day 2 last year immediately just by player type. I'll probably have same reaction this year, but I trust the results more after last year. I would have pegged Flores as one of our worst picks 1-10 last year based off of his bio, and that dude has a real shot to be in the MLB. A major win for a pick that late.

QUOTE (bighurt574 @ Jun 13, 2017 -> 09:16 AM)
Figuring out where the draft "fell off" is pretty subjective, to say the least.

Sox grabbed two power guys (with low strikeout rates). Sort of a continuation of last year with Collins (except the strikeouts). Interesting shift away from Kenny's toolsy types.

Yes but for my purposes it fell off of a cliff after the top 9. Not crazy about Pavin Smith, but every other pick I'd have been drooling. Just needed one of htose teams to reach for a college pitcher or savings, none did. With the smaller pools perhaps it's over.