Day Two Draft Discussion

southsider2k5

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 13, 2017 -> 04:03 PM)
Sam Abbott, Curtis HS 6'4" 225 1B

Thanks, clearly Callis and Mayo were scrambling for some notes. Basically talked about water polo for 20 seconds.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jun 13, 2017 -> 04:02 PM)
Grabbed a 1b high schooler, who is a bigtime water polo player and committed to school for it.

6'5, big power, athlete. That's all i got, couldn't even pick out his name.

sounds like a wasted pick to me.

QUOTE (Hatchetman @ Jun 13, 2017 -> 04:04 PM)

They have gotten a lot of very developed players, in the 8th round, going after a projectable player is not a waste. Maybe 2 of the 8th rounders will be a major leaguer for multiple years.

QUOTE (Hatchetman @ Jun 13, 2017 -> 04:04 PM)

High school first baseman that nobody has ever heard of?

Bit of a head scratcher, and who knows if he signs? Seems like he's a swimming star and water polo player. Does not sound like a guy willing to sign for slot or less

QUOTE (2005thxfrthmmrs @ Jun 13, 2017 -> 04:08 PM)
What's the report on this guy? Interesting timing to go high schooler here consider the last few picks will likely be overslot.

My guess is because this guy doesn't have a strong college bball commit he may not be that expensive for a high schooler.

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Jun 13, 2017 -> 04:08 PM)
High school first baseman that nobody has ever heard of?

Bit of a head scratcher, and who knows if he signs? Seems like he's a swimming star and water polo player. Does not sound like a guy willing to sign for slot or less

To be fair, neither swimming nor water polo are going to pay him a dime. He has the chance to make some money with baseball.

"Senior 1B/3B/P Sammy Abbott (whose mother was an Olympic swimmer) was named 2nd team all-4A SPSL as a designated hitter during his sophomore season and has continued to produce at the plate since, earning an honorable mention last season. A multi-sport star who has spent time in the USA Water Polo program, Abbott recently signed on to play water polo at Long Beach State, where he also hopes to continue his baseball career as a walk-on."

Strange pick

QUOTE (credezcrew24 @ Jun 13, 2017 -> 04:10 PM)
"Senior 1B/3B/P Sammy Abbott (whose mother was an Olympic swimmer) was named 2nd team all-4A SPSL as a designated hitter during his sophomore season and has continued to produce at the plate since, earning an honorable mention last season. A multi-sport star who has spent time in the USA Water Polo program, Abbott recently signed on to play water polo at Long Beach State, where he also hopes to continue his baseball career as a walk-on."

Strange pick

Hmmmm

Seems like a total hail mary of a selection so to speak, and that is if he signs

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Jun 13, 2017 -> 03:52 PM)
Flowers and TA are pretty good success stories.

I realize he left the sox org but Semien is another testament to defense being able to be corrected went from dumpster fire at SS to above average. Additionally with the amount of shifts currently being employed in major league baseball I think reactions, hands and arm are far more important than range.

QUOTE (credezcrew24 @ Jun 13, 2017 -> 04:10 PM)

Strange pick

Abbott plays a sport where you can only use 1 hand :lol: