Anthony Swarzak to Brewers; Sox receive Ryan Cordell

username

QUOTE (beautox @ Jul 25, 2017 -> 09:19 PM)
Also I'm sure most realize Mahalanobis Comps are just for fun, but Cordell's comp is Aaron Rowand.

a comp outfield of

Aaron Rowand(Cordell)/Randy Winn(Engel)/Angel Pagan(Leury) sounds fun.

I actually thought of Aaron when I was reading some of the reports on Cordell.

If he turns out to be Aaron, we can then trade him for Jim Thome in a few years.

• Replies 585
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 25, 2017 -> 11:09 PM)
I called people sheep for accusing me of being an idiot for wanting a player better than Ryan Cordell, when that was nowhere near what the vast majority was speculating prior to the deal occurring.

See the difference?

I recall the one tweet we all saw that said he MIGHT possibly fetch a prospect outside top 150 from Hayes

Dan Hayes‏Verified account

@CSNHayes

Following

More

Two scouts on Anthony Swarzak's value: could fetch a good prospect, likely outside of top 150. Lot of available relievers.

that's exactly what the Sox did here so I'm not sure what "vast majority" you're referring to. Seems like this trade falls exactly into what Hayes tweeted out yesterday. If you have other examples where it's stated that he'd fetch something better I must have overlooked and would truly love to check them out. Edited by Sleepy Harold

QUOTE (Tony @ Jul 25, 2017 -> 09:20 PM)
A dick, or a sheep?

Which is it?

A f***ing dick, like I said.

I've said this before too. The constant personal attacks on Greg are uncalled for.

I don't agree with him on anything, but you go after the guy constantly.

Now, you've attempted to associate his agreeing with me as some sort of personal insult against me.

Stop acting like a f***ing dick.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 25, 2017 -> 11:20 PM)
Followed up with:

The Fear with Ryan Cordell: No true standout tool. One scout just texted: "Fairly ordinary across the board." Sees him as a 4th OF type.

My quote was the final thing passan posted...

Bob Nightengale

The #Brewers got the reliever they needed in Anthony Swarzak,but scouts believe speedy Ryan Cordell could be everyday OF for #WhiteSox, too

He agrees this is a win win deal

QUOTE (Sleepy Harold @ Jul 25, 2017 -> 09:22 PM)
I recall the one tweet we all saw that said he MIGHT possibly fetch a prospect outside top 150 from Hayes that's exactly what the Sox did here so I'm not sure what "vast majority" you're referring to. Seems like this trade falls exactly into what Hayes tweeted out yesterday. If you have other examples where it's stated that he'd fetch something better I must have overlooked and would truly love to check them out.

SH,

I suspect outside the top 150 still means somewhere near the top 150.

If outside the top 150 is still fair game for like the 700th rated prospect, then fine, I stand corrected.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 25, 2017 -> 11:21 PM)
I actually thought of Aaron when I was reading some of the reports on Cordell.

If he turns out to be Aaron, we can then trade him for Jim Thome in a few years.

MRW

SYyrwH6.gif

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 25, 2017 -> 11:24 PM)
SH,

If outside the top 150 is still fair game for like the 700th rated prospect, then fine, I stand corrected.

If Cordell becomes a quality MLB regular you will absolutely have to eat all of these negative posts. If he doesn't pan out, what did we really even lose??

You have to face the fact that a rental reliever like swarzak wasn't getting us a better prospect than Cordell given the glut of relief options on the market.

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Jul 25, 2017 -> 09:27 PM)
If Cordell becomes a quality MLB regular you will absolutely have to eat all of these negative posts. If he doesn't pan out, what did we really even lose??

You have to face the fact that a rental reliever like swarzak wasn't getting us a better prospect than Cordell given the glut of relief options on the market.

Steven,

I will eat all of them.

You can even watch.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 25, 2017 -> 11:24 PM)
SH,

Is he really the 700th though? What if Cordell ranks 350, or 225, or 475? Does his player ranking really truly matter in the grand scheme of things? Cordell has potential and the Sox traded away a veteran player on a prove it milb deal that happened to pitch very well this season (and with a mediocre at best track record) to get him.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 25, 2017 -> 09:34 PM)
Just saw a Rosenthal article about how much of a buyers market it is for relief help

Again, it's also July 25.

Look at it this way. We traded a guy that projects to put up about 1 WAR for the rest of this year for a guy that projects to put up 2.8 WAR over the next 6 years.

I'm excited.

QUOTE (Sleepy Harold @ Jul 25, 2017 -> 09:38 PM)
Is he really the 700th though? What if Cordell ranks 350, or 225, or 475? Does his player ranking really truly matter in the grand scheme of things? Cordell has potential and the Sox traded away a veteran player on a prove it milb deal that happened to pitch very well this season (and with a mediocre at best track record) to get him.

I was definitely being hyperbolic :)

But see the war projection from the link you posted earlier.

How is trading a guy that's on target for the same WAR THIS season that this prospect is projected for over all the years of club control a good trade?

If he was projected for like 6 WAR I could understand, but it's just asset we already have so many of.

Oh well. I don't love the trade.

I give up.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 26, 2017 -> 04:09 AM)
Just because Rick Hahn made the trade doesn't suddenly mean we all have to think it's wonderful, does it? And yet that is what is expected here.

That's what drives me the most crazy and gets me in trouble the most on here. Nobody even agrees with me that the rebuild is wait and see because we are talking bout prospects here. Yes, prospects to me is as important as practice is to Iverson. You gotta wait and see, baby. If the prospects pan out and we win, all hail to Hahn. Put me in the back row of the parade line. If the prospects suck and we continue to suck, guess what, it was a 2 of a rebuild in that case.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 26, 2017 -> 04:22 AM)
A f***ing dick, like I said.

I've said this before too. The constant personal attacks on Greg are uncalled for.

I don't agree with him on anything, but you go after the guy constantly.

Now, you've attempted to associate his agreeing with me as some sort of personal insult against me.

Stop acting like a f***ing dick.

Thank u. I know u don't want to be lumped in with my opinions, but thanx anyway.

QUOTE (Tony @ Jul 26, 2017 -> 04:24 AM)
But calling me a f***ing dick is called for?

Maybe you need some time off.

Cmon Tony. Dick is a common word in Chicago, especially the south side. Calling somebody a dick or a dick move is not bad. He thinks you've been rude or condesending in the thread, which just might be true. If he called you on being a dick, cmon, that's nothing. Like I said, the word dick was commonplace where I grew up in mt. greenwood.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 25, 2017 -> 11:42 PM)
I was definitely being hyperbolic :)

But see the war projection from the link you posted earlier.

How is trading a guy that's on target for the same WAR THIS season that this prospect is projected for over all the years of club control a good trade?

If he was projected for like 6 WAR I could understand, but it's just asset we already have so many of.

Oh well. I don't love the trade.

I give up.

Why don't we wait and see what similar relievers go for between now and the deadline? Maybe you're right and Hahn jumped the gun and took the first decent offer he got. At this point it's really impossible to say, might be more clear in a few days if selling early was the right call or not.

http://www.csnchicago.com/chicago-white-so...y-swarzak-trade

Two American League scouts said Monday that Swarzak still had good trade value even though he’s viewed as a rental. While he wouldn’t likely net the White Sox a top-150 prospect, they could wrangle a “good” minor-leaguer in a deal. One element that could have potentially derailed the White Sox was an abundance of strong relief options in the market, perhaps as many as 20 pitchers.

After the White Sox traded Robertson and Kahnle, general manager Rick Hahn indicated they moved the pair early in anticipation of a competitive marketplace when they acquired Blake Rutherford and others from the New York Yankees. The Baltimore Orioles are a team that could have wreaked havoc on the relief market if they decide to sell -- something one AL source said they’ve gone back and forth on every day -- because they could flood it with Zach Britton and others.

Edited by Chicago White Sox

Not really a fan. I don't care about the position but the guy is old. I don't care about his numbers, 25 year old prospects never become anything.

He might be about big league ready but at his age he is a quad A type. Now swarzak was never going to get a great return but I would have preferred a 19 year old lotto ticket even if that guy likely never makes the majors.

QUOTE (Tony @ Jul 25, 2017 -> 11:24 PM)
But calling me a f***ing dick is called for?

Maybe you need some time off.

He's been trolling the trade threads for weeks. Don't get why people are losing their s*** over minor league rental signings being traded. Yeah he had a decent year so far. I thought that was the point of signing guys like him and Holland. No one knows what his market was so criticizing is ridiculous. Guy we got is decent enough. Be glad we were able to turn any of our scrap heap signings into a player with many more years of control.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 25, 2017 -> 11:39 PM)
Again, it's also July 25.

Look at it this way. We traded a guy that projects to put up about 1 WAR for the rest of this year for a guy that projects to put up 2.8 WAR over the next 6 years.

I'm excited.

How many playoff wins is that 1 war going to get us

QUOTE (GermanSock @ Jul 26, 2017 -> 01:27 AM)
Not really a fan. I don't care about the position but the guy is old. I don't care about his numbers, 25 year old prospects never become anything.

He might be about big league ready but at his age he is a quad A type. Now swarzak was never going to get a great return but I would have preferred a 19 year old lotto ticket even if that guy likely never makes the majors.

You can hold out for a 19 year old lotto ticket and risk getting nothing back when teams move on to plan b and c. There are tons of relievers available it is not a sellers market.

QUOTE (whitesoxwinner @ Jul 26, 2017 -> 02:10 AM)
obviously not a wowing return, but this is what we were always gonna get for Anthony swarzak. This kid we acquired can play a lot of positions and he will be very helpful throughout this rebuild. Might even develop into a good player, who knows?

I don't understand why getting such an old prospect. Those guys never really become good players. Yeah he is mlb ready but that is not really what the sox need. He will get the sox some innings in the field and probably is not below replacement level but I would have preferred a real prospect.

You can't expect a big return for swarzak but I would have preferred a young guy with upside.

But hahn is of course not an idiot, he probably wasn't offered anything better. I'm just surprised the nats or astros who both need bullpen did not offer more than a possible 5th outfield prospect in his mid 20s.