2017-2018 MLB player movement rumors and reports

southsider2k5

• Replies 911
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Tony @ Dec 19, 2017 -> 09:14 PM)
Given all the Sox playoff success the last decade, I'm not ready to say their choices are the gospel.

I do think we'll sign some sort of vet this offseason. Hopefully it's a good fit. I mean, at least teammates seem to like Shields, I guess.

I doubt he would want to hang at Charlotte very long. Didn't pitch at all last year and was like James Shields at his worst in 2016. Don't really know what kind of prospect a team would give you on a flip even if he had some success, but I would imagine it wouldn't be an interesting one. Probably one you could just buy with what you would have to pay Lincecum. He's pretty much a waste of money IMO. Just remember his glory days.

Jeff Passan‏Verified account

@JeffPassan

Following Following @JeffPassan

More

Source: Christian Arroyo is headed to the Rays in the Evan Longoria deal.

Jeff Passan @JeffPassan

now

Source: Denard Span also is headed to Tampa Bay.

Jeff Passan @JeffPassan

now

Source: Giants get Evan Longoria for Christian Arroyo, Denard Span, Matt Krook and Stephen Woods.

Edited by Sleepy Harold

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 20, 2017 -> 10:39 AM)
I doubt he would want to hang at Charlotte very long. Didn't pitch at all last year and was like James Shields at his worst in 2016. Don't really know what kind of prospect a team would give you on a flip even if he had some success, but I would imagine it wouldn't be an interesting one. Probably one you could just buy with what you would have to pay Lincecum. He's pretty much a waste of money IMO. Just remember his glory days.

Most deals like this have an opt out built in to them. For a guy who didn't pitch in 17 and only pitched less than 80 IP in both 15 and 16, he almost has to be willing to take some time at AAA if needed. No one is going to offer him a major league deal, and they are going to want to see him be both healthy and effective before staking a rotation spot to him. He is probably going to be looking at around six figures with a promise of a couple of million if he can make a team and pitch for some amount of time.

QUOTE (Sleepy Harold @ Dec 20, 2017 -> 10:48 AM)

@JeffPassan

More

Jeff Passan @JeffPassan

now

Jeff Passan @JeffPassan

now

Source: Giants get Evan Longoria for Christian Arroyo, Denard Span, Matt Krook and Stephen Woods.

Baseball finally had a bowel movement!

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Dec 20, 2017 -> 08:57 AM)
Baseball finally had a bowel movement!

I know nothing about Arroyo. Must be good.

Edit: his stats in the minors don't look all that impressive.

Edited by hi8is

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 20, 2017 -> 10:52 AM)
Most deals like this have an opt out built in to them. For a guy who didn't pitch in 17 and only pitched less than 80 IP in both 15 and 16, he almost has to be willing to take some time at AAA if needed. No one is going to offer him a major league deal, and they are going to want to see him be both healthy and effective before staking a rotation spot to him. He is probably going to be looking at around six figures with a promise of a couple of million if he can make a team and pitch for some amount of time.

I don't disagree, but I would think his tolerance for the minor leagues is probably less than most in his situation. I doubt he would stay there 2 months. A heck of a lot would have to go right for him to A. be successful, and B. get the team much in a trade. He hasn't been good in a long time. Maybe there is some miracle that could occur, but even if there was, chances are it would fade pretty quickly.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (hi8is @ Dec 20, 2017 -> 11:07 AM)

It's one of the fan advantages of salary caps. The free agents sign immediately. They can't be left holding the bag with every team using their space. It basically eliminates the Scott Boras factor.

Next year might even be worse. We will hear about all the crap that is going to happen at the Winter Meetings, and it will be a dud for most teams.

This winter was going to be boring for White Sox fans anyways. But the boredom has spread league wide.

QUOTE (hi8is @ Dec 20, 2017 -> 11:07 AM)

Yeah, he's a nice prospect but nothing to write home about. I think the the lack of power is the knock on him. He is a doubles machine so it seems he knows how to hit the gaps and place the ball down the lines.

s***, watch TB turn Arroyo into an all star. :bang

QUOTE (Sleepy Harold @ Dec 20, 2017 -> 09:48 AM)

@JeffPassan

More

Jeff Passan @JeffPassan

now

Jeff Passan @JeffPassan

now

Dick Vitale (a Rays season ticket holder) is pretty pissed. He sent out a tweet saying fans aren't paying major league prices to see minor league players.

QUOTE (Lip Man 1 @ Dec 20, 2017 -> 12:07 PM)
Dick Vitale (a Rays season ticket holder) is pretty pissed. He sent out a tweet saying fans aren't paying major league prices to see minor league players.

Sounds like the Marlins Man 😆

QUOTE (hi8is @ Dec 20, 2017 -> 03:08 PM)
Sounds like the Marlins Man 😆

Actually the Rays got a really good haul for Longoria. Dude is 32 has a ton of money left and coming off a down year he's basically been a 3ish WAR player the last couple.

Giants farm blows but they got their top prospect a 50 ish and two interesting arms. Not bad, not bad at all.

QUOTE (wrathofhahn @ Dec 20, 2017 -> 03:42 PM)
Actually the Rays got a really good haul for Longoria. Dude is 32 has a ton of money left and coming off a down year he's basically been a 3ish WAR player the last couple.

Giants farm blows but they got their top prospect a 50 ish and two interesting arms. Not bad, not bad at all.

Heliot Ramos is definitely the Giants top prospect, but you're right that it's a decent value overall when you consider the money.

QUOTE (EvilJester99 @ Dec 20, 2017 -> 03:09 PM)
The #Nats make great move to fortify offense, signing Matt Adams to one-year, $4 million contract with $500,000 in incentives. Deal is done.

Adam Lind was doomed after he GIDP on the first pitch from Davis who couldn't throw a strike