Welington Castillo to White Sox

Sleepy Harold

QUOTE (cjgalloway @ Dec 1, 2017 -> 04:05 PM)
good to hear about Renteria

Renteria is an asset to the org in every way. His awful in game managing drives the tank and his great man management and ties to the latin players makes the Sox a good club to play for.

I wouldn't mind if he's the manager on the next playoff squad, but he's gotta stop bunting so damn much.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 1, 2017 -> 02:37 PM)
This is one of the benefits to not having all of your prospects on the 40, we can cut one of the people we were shocked by leaving on and expose them to waivers without caring.

I have no clue how a guy like Jacob May is still on the 40 man roster after his awful 2017. Time to send him adrift.

QUOTE (Lip Man 1 @ Dec 1, 2017 -> 05:13 PM)
Real solid move by the organization. Guy threw out 44% of base runners and hit 20 home runs. Good call by Hahn.

I especially like the 3rd year $8 million club option. If he performs well and we like him that probably gets picked up. Also pretty reasonable insurance in case Collins and Zavala don't take the next step.

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Dec 1, 2017 -> 04:16 PM)
I especially like the 3rd year $8 million club option. If he performs well and we like him that probably gets picked up. Also pretty reasonable insurance in case Collins and Zavala don't take the next step.

Even if they do take the next step, there are worse things than having a ton of depth (see dodgers). Catchers get injured, it's nice when you don't replace them with players lucky to hit mendoza line.

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 1, 2017 -> 04:19 PM)
Even if they do take the next step, there are worse things than having a ton of depth (see dodgers). Catchers get injured, it's nice when you don't replace them with players lucky to hit mendoza line.

Can catch every now and then and DH against lefties at times in that case.

Edited by Rowand44

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 1, 2017 -> 05:19 PM)

Catching depth is vital, agreed

I feel like catchers are very underpaid and undervalued for what the do for a team by fans. It's a brutal position to play each day.

Castillo should bring some veteran stability to a position that needs it. Our young pitchers should hopefully benefit.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Dec 1, 2017 -> 05:29 PM)
Yup, but at the same time the financials don’t prevent us from calling up Collins when he’s ready.

Jon Heyman‏Verified account

@JonHeyman

Following Following @JonHeyman

More

welington castillo: 7.25M in '18, 7.25M in '19, club option 8M in '20, 500K buyout. 100K for mvp, other awards bonuses. #chisox

Gotta love this response:

EG‏

@EGreenyyy

Follow Follow @EGreenyyy

More

Replying to @JonHeyman

If Welington Castillo wins MVP I’ll cut my penis off.

Castillo will almost certainly get most of the playing time, behind the plate. They are not going to limit his use just against LHP, as well they shouldn't. His split stats are not that one sided. At this point, we should assume that Narvaez is the backup.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 1, 2017 -> 05:04 PM)
Anyone think that we could get someone to take a trade flier on Kevan Smith? Give us back a reliever candidate or something like that?

I'd hope so..but who knows...not sure I'd hold my breath. I honestly didn't realize he was 29 years old...for some reason I thought he was like 25 or 26 or so.

Hmmm, he's 30 and had a good year last year. We have him for 3 years. Should this give me hope we will keep Abreu? If Castillo is part of the plan, why not a similarly aged guy in Abreu, who had double his RBIs?

I won't comment much on things I know little about and I don't know Castillo much. I'm assuming he's a nice addition cause his defense is pretty good from what I've read.

But he's very old by today's standards. This gives me hope again that we might have some vets around for the WS contending years, which means Abreu and the still young Avi. I'm all for speeding up the winning process and Castillo's profile suggests winning now or soon. He's no spring chicken.

Or ... this could mean we will merely trade him this winter for more pieces.

Edited by greg775

Did anybody see this?

Brett Moccia‏

@brettm1319

Following Following @brettm1319

More

Sources: Wellington Castillo will sign with the #WhiteSoxs for 2 years 15 million

8:44 PM - 23 Nov 2017

Guy tweeted that over a week ago. No idea if that was an extraordinary guess, or if his source is legit, but he also tweeted out today that his source says Arrieta's camp believes they have a deal in place with Cardinals, but could take 1-2 weeks before it goes official. So I guess we shall see if he's 2 for 2 or just 1 for 2.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Dec 1, 2017 -> 09:29 PM)
Slot money for the Ohtani push ! :P

If we acquired extra international money I don't think we could spend it on him? $200k is "max per player" for us right?

I'd take some A-ball reliever for Smith. He's a nonterrible backup catcher. Unless we're carrying him as a DH he'll have to be moved, and there's always a dearth of positive cheap backup catchers.

QUOTE (ChiliIrishHammock24 @ Dec 2, 2017 -> 12:02 AM)
Did anybody see this?

Brett Moccia‏

@brettm1319

Following Following @brettm1319

More

Sources: Wellington Castillo will sign with the #WhiteSoxs for 2 years 15 million

8:44 PM - 23 Nov 2017

Guy tweeted that over a week ago. No idea if that was an extraordinary guess, or if his source is legit, but he also tweeted out today that his source says Arrieta's camp believes they have a deal in place with Cardinals, but could take 1-2 weeks before it goes official. So I guess we shall see if he's 2 for 2 or just 1 for 2.

Dude is a total fraud IMO and got lucky on this one. My guess is he deletes the tweets where he can be proven wrong.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Dec 1, 2017 -> 09:22 PM)
Hmmm, he's 30 and had a good year last year. We have him for 3 years. Should this give me hope we will keep Abreu? If Castillo is part of the plan, why not a similarly aged guy in Abreu, who had double his RBIs?

I won't comment much on things I know little about and I don't know Castillo much. I'm assuming he's a nice addition cause his defense is pretty good from what I've read.

But he's very old by today's standards. This gives me hope again that we might have some vets around for the WS contending years, which means Abreu and the still young Avi. I'm all for speeding up the winning process and Castillo's profile suggests winning now or soon. He's no spring chicken.

Or ... this could mean we will merely trade him this winter for more pieces.

Where you got the idea that the next WS contender will have no established veteran ayers is beyond me. So far it is your most masterful stroke of Gregging. By the way, trading Abreu has always been a long shot.

Edit: :wub:

Edited by hi8is