2018 NFL off-season thread

1 hour ago, Chisoxfn said:

I tend to think this year is going to be rougher than most, mainly because we are going to be running a pretty complex offense that puts a lot on a QB. Mitch is young and in a brand new system with a lot of new players.  I think the key is that he is consistently learning and building on his experience.  I expect some rough games, but hope as the season goes on we see good progress.  

Not to mention the defenses they face this year. Their out of conference schedule includes rams, patriots and Seahawks. That will cause problems for any new offense.

10 minutes ago, ptatc said:

Not to mention the defenses they face this year. Their out of conference schedule includes rams, patriots and Seahawks. That will cause problems for any new offense.

Yeah but you never know in the NFL. I could see the Seahawks D collapsing this year. Tough to accurately project schedule strength.

On 7/23/2018 at 12:32 PM, bmags said:

Yeah but you never know in the NFL. I could see the Seahawks D collapsing this year. Tough to accurately project schedule strength.

At least 3/4 members of the LOB aren't there anymore.(I'm not sure about Earl Thomas, but I don't think he's there either, I thought he was released and signed with Dallas)  I'd be more surprised if Seattle's defense was top 10, than if it was bottom 10. Russell Wilson will have to carry that team. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

13 hours ago, LittleHurt05 said:

All aboard the Anthony Millet hype train.

Can't wait to watch the training camp videos from beat writers. Oh, wait...

There is a Twitter user who has been posting them. GBraggsJr

On ‎7‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 12:32 PM, bmags said:

Yeah, Seattle is going to be pretty bad unless Wilson is a beast

15 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

At least 3/4 members of the LOB aren't there anymore.(I'm not sure about Earl Thomas, but I don't think he's there either, I thought he was released and signed with Dallas)  I'd be more surprised if Seattle's defense was top 10, than if it was bottom 10. Russell Wilson will have to carry that team. 

Next time you post your opinions about the NFL in general, I'll remember to take into account that you were unsure if the best FS in football was still on the Seahawks or not

2 minutes ago, Brian said:

Is there ANY news on Roquan? I don't have my finger on the pulse of sports news anymore but even I thought I'd hear something once in awhile.

DaBearsBlog, who is usually pretty plugged in, says there is no issues between the sides and a deal should be done in the next few days.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, soxfan49 said:

DaBearsBlog, who is usually pretty plugged in, says there is no issues between the sides and a deal should be done in the next few days.

Hub Arkush said this morning that it isnt the player or the team, it is the agency.   he said all of the remaining unsigned picks are CAA clients

9 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

Hub Arkush said this morning that it isnt the player or the team, it is the agency.   he said all of the remaining unsigned picks are CAA clients

Yeah, they're the same guys who dragged on the Bosa deal last year.

Mayfield and Edmunds signed yesterday. Josh Allen signed this morning. It's only a matter of time.

13 minutes ago, LittleHurt05 said:

If the Bears didn't start camp a week early, this would be a non story. Everyone starts the regular season on the same weekend.

Cleveland still hasn't signed Ward, NYJ still hasn't signed Darnold. Hell, even if the Niners have a SECOND round pick unsigned.

If Smith is still unsigned by the HOF Game, I'll be concerned, but I doubt it drags on that long.

1 hour ago, soxfan49 said:

Yeah, they're the same guys who dragged on the Bosa deal last year.

Mayfield and Edmunds signed yesterday. Josh Allen signed this morning. It's only a matter of time.

Other teams camps are starting soon too...so that should put an extra push on the market. With the  Bears being in camp a week early and so many guys being unsigned, it probably made the dynamic more difficult. That said, the whole Bosa saga was pretty fresh and these are the same representatives.  

3 hours ago, soxfan49 said:

Next time you post your opinions about the NFL in general, I'll remember to take into account that you were unsure if the best FS in football was still on the Seahawks or not

I haven't paid much attention to the NFL since the Draft. Please forgive me if I forgot if a player not on the Bears moved teams or not, regardless of how good that player is. A lot of players change teams in the offseason, especially in the NFL. The fact that I admitted that publicly means that I'm secure in my knowledge of the league, and football in general. I have some unpopular opinions and I'm not afraid to voice them. I'm plenty secure in my knowledge of football. 

Out of the four major sports leagues, the only one I follow casually is the NBA, and that is mostly because the league is broken because players have become wimpy, and would rather leave and create "super teams" to win titles instead of staying put stick it out. It hurts the competitiveness of the league, especially in a league where one player means so much.  Furthermore, most teams have zero chance of signing the best players when they reach free agency. So if you're not a team with nice weather and a large city, forget being a player in the free agency market. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

"Very few" players have the language he's requesting in this year's draft, say the Bears. Well the player is the best LB in the draft per the Bears so I would sure as hell consider giving him the elite contract treatment.

On 7/25/2018 at 6:40 AM, soxfan49 said:

Oh, you DO that...maybe he should be fined as well, by you, the almighty arbiter of message board credibility!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

Buffalo's first round pick linebacker was granted the contract language over the same issue. The Bears better not fuck this up. When it.comes to football, I always side with the players given their contracts aren't fully guaranteed and the life long consequences the game causes.

https://theathletic.com/449703/2018/07/28/edmunds-helmet-rule/

Yeah, I think Bears need to fold.

While I understand the argument they shouldn't have to pay for production they didn't get, the league has increased suspensions for more and more on-field play, which is increasing potential for players to miss guarantees due to decreased playing time.

The teams get to vote on those rules, the players do not. The team should take the risk, not the player, especially on the defaulted slotted contracts.

If a guy has a history of it? By all means try to add it into a FA contract, but this is silly.