Logan Morrison to the Twins

Chicago White Sox

I stole this idea from JustBelieveIt, but why not pick up Logan Morrison to DH for us? Dude is only 30 years old & would provide us with a cheap left-handed power bat for the middle of our lineup. His last season and half has been incredibly productive as shown by the stats below:

PA: 730

BB %: 12.5%

K %: 24.5%

ISO: .267

HR: 44

Slash: .246/.348/.513/.861

wRC+: 129

MLBtraderumors also had a nice piece on him not too long go that provides additional reasons for optimism:

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2018/02/some...n-morrison.html

I don’t know, seems like if he could repeat the level of production I noted above he might actually net us something of value at the deadline. Plus he’s young enough to theoretically be a cheap placeholder until someone like Sheets is ready. I really think it’s a move worth considering.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Feb 24, 2018 -> 02:38 PM)
I stole this idea from JustBelieveIt, but why not pick up Logan Morrison to DH for us? Dude is only 30 years old & would provide us with a cheap left-handed power bat for the middle of our lineup. His last season and half has been incredibly productive as shown by the stats below:

PA: 730

BB %: 12.5%

K %: 24.5%

ISO: .267

HR: 44

Slash: .246/.348/.513/.861

wRC+: 129

MLBtraderumors also had a nice piece on him not too long go that provides additional reasons for optimism:

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2018/02/some...n-morrison.html

I don’t know, seems like if he could repeat the level of production I noted above he might actually net us something of value at the deadline. Plus he’s young enough to theoretically be a cheap placeholder until someone like Sheets is ready. I really think it’s a move worth considering.

Because the White Sox are not going to spend the money this year nor next year.

QUOTE (WBWSF @ Feb 24, 2018 -> 04:57 PM)
Because the White Sox are not going to spend the money this year nor next year.

Their payroll in 2019 counting even Abreu, Garcia, and Arbitration guys is about $40-$45 million. If they don't spend anything next offseason, there was little point to this rebuild.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 24, 2018 -> 04:05 PM)
Their payroll in 2019 counting even Abreu, Garcia, and Arbitration guys is about $40-$45 million. If they don't spend anything next offseason, there was little point to this rebuild.
Hate to be negative about this but I still think the White Sox will have a much lower payroll in 2019. Low payroll =more moola for JR and his investors. This so called rebuild is going to be a very cheap rebuild. And I don't think Shields or Avi Garcia will be on the team in 2019.

QUOTE (WBWSF @ Feb 24, 2018 -> 03:26 PM)
Hate to be negative about this but I still think the White Sox will have a much lower payroll in 2019. Low payroll =more moola for JR and his investors. This so called rebuild is going to be a very cheap rebuild. And I don't think Shields or Avi Garcia will be on the team in 2019.

Cheap rebuild? Could you list all the "expensive" rebuilds?

I despise JR as much as anyone but they're absolutely not going to have a 50m payroll with a (hopefully) bunch of young stars. It would be stupid to spend money right now when you don't know what your holes are going to be. The goal should be a young core with a couple spots to fill and a ton of money to spend, aka - the exact spot the Sox are currently in.

QUOTE (Jenksy Cat @ Feb 24, 2018 -> 04:31 PM)
Cheap rebuild? Could you list all the "expensive" rebuilds?

I despise JR as much as anyone but they're absolutely not going to have a 50m payroll with a (hopefully) bunch of young stars. It would be stupid to spend money right now when you don't know what your holes are going to be. The goal should be a young core with a couple spots to fill and a ton of money to spend, aka - the exact spot the Sox are currently in.

The bad guys spent some serious money on their rebuild when they signed Lester, Heyward and Zobrist. That is not going to happen with the White Sox. Edited by WBWSF

QUOTE (WBWSF @ Feb 24, 2018 -> 03:42 PM)
The bad guys spent some serious money on their rebuild when they signed Lester, Heyward and Zobrist. That is not going to happen with the White Sox.

You realize the Sox are just now entering that spot right? Heyward and Zobrist were signed a year after the Cubs made the NLCS. The Sox haven't been above .500 in 6 years. And do you want the Sox to sign a guy like Heyward, really? I pray our front office isn't stupid enough to give out a contract like that especially since they don't print money and it would cripple the team.

s*** they spent 120m+ on teams where the only "stars" on the team were Buehrle and an aging Konerko.

QUOTE (WBWSF @ Feb 24, 2018 -> 03:26 PM)

Is it opposite day? This is exactly your shtick.

Heck I’d sign two ex Rays, Morrison and Cobb. Both appear to have limited suitors at this point and if they can be had on two year deals at a discounted price, then why not? No draft pick lost with signing either and both are flippable assets this July or next year. No need to commit to a long term contract with either so it doesn’t restrict future signings, though Cobb may still demand 3 years (which I wouldn’t be opposed to if a low AAV

Edited by JUSTgottaBELIEVE

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Feb 24, 2018 -> 05:52 PM)
That was at the end of the rebuild.

2019 is the end of ours. The Cubs's rebuild ended in 2015, they won 96 games, the 2nd wild card, and were Daniel Murphy turning into God away from the World Series. If the White Sox aren't looking at something comparable in 2019, it's because they did worse than the Cubs at the same point.

Kinda on the fence with this. I prefer to keep the DH spot open to rotate outfielders but Morrison is a very interesting idea and a much better idea than CarGo. Morrison could actually net the Sox something of quality at the trade deadline or could even provide a potential long term solution at 1B/DH to pair with Abreu. If the Sox were to sign him, I'd hope it's a one year deal with a second year option.

Good idea guys.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Feb 24, 2018 -> 09:33 PM)
Kinda on the fence with this. I prefer to keep the DH spot open to rotate outfielders but Morrison is a very interesting idea and a much better idea than CarGo. Morrison could actually net the Sox something of quality at the trade deadline or could even provide a potential long term solution at 1B/DH to pair with Abreu. If the Sox were to sign him, I'd hope it's a one year deal with a second year option.

Good idea guys.

Play the kids. .858 OPS in a career year for Morisson. Can you tell me for sure that he can repeat that next year and that neither Delmonico nor Davidson can do that next year for less money with 4-5 more years of control? Because I'd rather see if one of the kids can.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 24, 2018 -> 07:38 PM)
Play the kids. .858 OPS in a career year for Morisson. Can you tell me for sure that he can repeat that next year and that neither Delmonico nor Davidson can do that next year for less money with 4-5 more years of control? Because I'd rather see if one of the kids can.

No, I can't say that for sure, just like I can't say for sure Delmonico and Davidson have a future with the Sox. I do believe Delmonico has a future with the Sox but have zero confidence in Davidson. I would use Morrison/Abreu at 1B/DH and Delmonico in LF with Leury/Engel platooning CF until July and reassess the situation then.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 24, 2018 -> 07:38 PM)

Delmonico should be the everyday LF, so Morrison is no impact there. Davidson is garbage and doesn’t deserve another opportunity. He couldn’t even hit International League pitching and put up an 83 wRC+ last year. The guys impacted are really Cordell, Tilson, Palka, etc. And it’s not like anyone has CF locked down at the moment, so Cordell & Tilson can still get plenty of at-bats there if warranted.

To me, Morrison appears to be a potential undervalued asset that we could get dirt cheap. To me he’d be like the positional version of Miguel Gonzalez but with actual real upside. For something like $7M you could cut him quickly if he doesn’t replicate last season’s performance or if someone controllable is pushing for at-bats.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Feb 24, 2018 -> 08:13 PM)
Delmonico should be the everyday LF, so Morrison is no impact there. Davidson is garbage and doesn’t deserve another opportunity. He couldn’t even hit International League pitching and put up an 83 wRC+ last year. The guys impacted are really Cordell, Tilson, Palka, etc. And it’s not like anyone has CF locked down at the moment, so Cordell & Tilson can still get plenty of at-bats there if warranted.

To me, Morrison appears to be a potential undervalued asset that we could get dirt cheap. To me he’d be like the positional version of Miguel Gonzalez but with actual real upside. For something like $7M you could cut him quickly if he doesn’t replicate last season’s performance or if someone controllable is pushing for at-bats.

What would Davidson have put up if you strip away his negative defense?

Believing in Morrison is not too far removed from believing Avi is going to be a consistent 3.5-4.5 WAR RFer.

Has now hit age 30...the next Jose Bautista or Marwin Gonzalez or an anomaly like AVI...? Ranked 15th at his position, the definition of average, for 2018.

That’s a 5 career WAR over 8 seasons, averaging 0.625.

That’s not even worth $7 million to WAR adherents.

I think we learned our lesson with Holland, but at least he covered innings to protect our pitching prospects who weren’t ready. All indicators point to Davidson/Yolmer getting one more season to establish their true values.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Feb 24, 2018 -> 11:04 PM)
What would Davidson have put up if you strip away his negative defense?

Believing in Morrison is not too far removed from believing Avi is going to be a consistent 3.5-4.5 WAR RFer.

Has now hit age 30...the next Jose Bautista or Marwin Gonzalez or an anomaly like AVI...? Ranked 15th at his position, the definition of average, for 2018.

That’s a 5 career WAR over 8 seasons, averaging 0.625.

That’s not even worth $7 million to WAR adherents.

I think we learned our lesson with Holland, but at least he covered innings to protect our pitching prospects who weren’t ready. All indicators point to Davidson/Yolmer getting one more season to establish their true values.

The problem with Holland is that he was trending in the wrong direction between injuries and poor performance in prior seasons. Morrison is the opposite of that. Will his positive trend over the past 1.5 seasons keep up? Who knows but I’d be willing to find out for cheap. Yolmer is the starting 3b right now so no need to worry about him getting sufficient ABs and Davidson would still start against lefties and spell Yolmer occasionally at 3b.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Feb 24, 2018 -> 11:21 PM)
Differences of opinion make life interesting. Some of us are skeptical about the Sox front office.

Being skeptical doesn’t mean you have to announce in every thread that you think that this will be the cheapest rebuild ever and JR is going to keep every dollar. It’s beyond ridiculous anymore and there is literally nothing backing up his claim

Yeah, even if a poster is a 1-note symphony, and even if that poster posts opinions we don't share, just banning someone for those reasons ain't really "The American Way," so to speak. WSI was notable for doing this, & now that site is infinitely less interesting as a result.

That aside, I don't think that framing an argument to sign a player around, "the payroll will be around so-and-so million in 2019, so OF COURSE the Sox should sign every middling FA available" is a good argument.

IMHO, the more cogent argument for or against a player acquisition is the progress or lack of progress the youngsters make this season. Because if it turns out that many/most of the youngsters suck, then no amount of FA spending will make a difference. If, however, some/more youngsters surprise us, then a bit of WELL-PLACED investments can do the trick.