BOLD prospect predictions for 2018

southsider2k5

Bold predictions:

Luis Robert absolutely rakes upon return and is in the OD roster discussion for 2019

Cease takes a significant jump forward

Rutherford begins to bust with low contact rates and no power

Kopech is up by July latest

Jimenez up in September after destroying AAA after his June promotion

Basabe becomes a Top 100 prospect by season's end

Fulmer and Lopez both struggle early but settle down toward's the summer and put together solid seasons

Brice Turang is taken 4th overall

• Haha 1

I don't consider Eloy and Kopech getting to and performing well in MLB to be "bold" predictions, so...

Luis Robert takes the 2017 Ronald Acuna development path.

Alec Hansen spends most of the year at AA, dominates in a September callup, and is slotted into the 2019 rotation.

Seby Zavala continues to hit and establishes himself as a top 100 prospect and legitimate starting C prospect.

• Haha 1

QUOTE (Dam8610 @ Mar 29, 2018 -> 04:05 PM)
Madrigal

I'm as big a Madrigal fan as there is. Was a huge Pedroia fan when he came out. But I don't thank Madrigal projects anyplace else but 2B much like Pedroia. The pick wouldn't make sense to me...

QUOTE (Wanne @ Mar 29, 2018 -> 06:33 PM)
I'm as big a Madrigal fan as there is. Was a huge Pedroia fan when he came out. But I don't thank Madrigal projects anyplace else but 2B much like Pedroia. The pick wouldn't make sense to me...

Personally, I take the best player and figure out where they play later. There are also mixed reports on his defense, and some scouts believe he can project to SS.

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Mar 29, 2018 -> 09:36 AM)
Ian Hamilton has a big year and finishes the season in the White Sox bullpen.

Collins fixes the hitch in his swing and puts himself back on the map this season with a great year at the plate.

+1

I’m high on Hamilton as well. I think one of the more under looked but promising aspects of the Hahn era is how recently they have started targeting raw particularly collegiate arms with plus fastballs in hopes of building organizational depth in the bullpen and throughout the organization. Hopefully this works out and it is a trend we are out in front of, and we all know the value of these power bullpen arms come trade deadline.

I also think Thadius Lowry is a possible conversion to relief. I remember when they drafted him they liked his arm strength. He has started for a few years and the results have been underwhelming. Might be time to see what he can do in new role as well where he focuses on fastball and a hard secondary offering.

• 6 months later...
On 3/29/2018 at 9:21 AM, SoxAce said:
Said it in another thread, but he'll be top 10 overall by season's end. My bold prediction there.

I'll also say Kopech starts off pretty slow cause of his recent breakup with his now ex reality star girlfriend and Soxtalk freaks out for a couple of months.

Oh.. and Basabe puts himself right back on the map in our system.

Yes, and yes.

On 3/29/2018 at 9:24 AM, bmags said:

Negative:

Sox hitters lead league in Ks

Sox pitchers lead league in BBs

Positive:

Young white sox finish top 15 in league for runs scored

Sox bullpen finds another surprisingly dominant guy

The speedy sox finally learn how to steal bases and we have a memorable year on basepaths.

Uhhh...yes, exactly. Nailed all of them, except Sox finishing top 15 in runs scored. BUT, you did say "league", so the Sox finishing 13th out of 15 in the American LEAGUE is top 15. Congrats!

Sox hitters led the league in Ks, pitcher's led in walks. I would say the bullpen found a few surprises again. Statcast said the Sox were the 2nd fastest team this year, and ended up 7th in SB. 

On 3/29/2018 at 9:36 AM, OmarComing25 said:

Ian Hamilton has a big year and finishes the season in the White Sox bullpen.

Collins fixes the hitch in his swing and puts himself back on the map this season with a great year at the plate.

Yes and no.

On 3/29/2018 at 11:27 AM, soxfan49 said:

Jimenez is called up on 7/1, because at the time, he's hitting .354 and they won't be able to keep him down.

Obviously not called up, but he DID end up with a .355 AVG, so that's worth noting.