5/23 Games

joejoedairy

1 minute ago, Tony said:

1. Kopech still isn’t ready, and that’s totally OK. 

2. Actually good to see Seby go on the DL, he cooled off, and the wrist may explain things. 

Yeah 100 pitches only 57 strikes. Gotta get better at finding the zone if he is going to compete. Hard fastballs at the major league level won't do anything unless the pitcher has a nasty offspeed pitch to compliment it...which he currently is working on.

5 minutes ago, Scoots said:

Yeah 100 pitches only 57 strikes. Gotta get better at finding the zone if he is going to compete. Hard fastballs at the major league level won't do anything unless the pitcher has a nasty offspeed pitch to compliment it...which he currently is working on.

Doesn't he have a nasty offspeed breaking ball? I thought his issue was just commanding his pitches. 

I think it needs to be said that following every prospect's game to game results is not healthy, I know we're at the point where we have to in order to hold interest but it's like weighing yourself every morning, the daily results are not necessarily indicative of the overall picture and that's not great for the psyche.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Kalapse said:

I think it needs to be said that following every prospect's game to game results is not healthy, I know we're at the point where we have to in order to hold interest but it's like weighing yourself every morning, the daily results are not necessarily indicative of the overall picture and that's not great for the psyche.

See I like it for opposite reason. With 4 more teams there will inevitably be one guy whose game you can feel excited about.

33 minutes ago, Scoots said:

Couldn't disagree more.  98 mph fastballs aren't really hittable.  You can go ahead and tell the hitter it's coming every time, they still won't barrel it up 9/10, if they even hit it.

8 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Couldn't disagree more.  98 mph fastballs aren't really hittable.  You can go ahead and tell the hitter it's coming every time, they still won't barrel it up 9/10, if they even hit it.

If you tell a good ML hitter that a 98 mph fastball is coming, he’s going to blast it.

14 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Yeah, in this day and age, they are hittable, especially if the hitter knows what to expect. Maybe more effective for a reliever, but for a starter, he needs a lot more than just being able to throw hard. He needs to learn how to command his offspeed and use it strategically. Which, in my opinion, he can learn in the majors. I just think they are looking for results from Kopech right now. Could be wrong, but just my opinion on why he isn't up yet.

Of course, if Covey continues to pitch the way he is pitching tonight, they won't call him up until, my guess, July or August, especially with Rodon coming back. However, if one of our starters gets injured, I bet Kopech is the next in line to get the call.

Edited by Scoots

Look at Jordan Hicks' strikeout ratio if you think they're not at least hittable (solid contact is another question).

All about location (above the belt, good luck), movement and what count the pitcher is working with...

Edited by caulfield12

2 hours ago, BlackSox13 said:

Kopech done for the night . 5IP 4H 3R 2ER 4BB 8K

And this was against a line up that featured Caleb Jospeh batting clean up. He set a major league record in 2016 when he had 141 plate appearances and didn’t have any runs batted in. That is the most plate appearances while getting shutout of a RBI in history.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

And this was against a line up that featured Caleb Jospeh batting clean up. He set a major league record in 2016 when he had 141 plate appearances and didn’t have any runs batted in. That is the most plate appearances while getting shutout of a RBI in history.

Yikes! That's a bad cleanup hitter.

Kopech is still young and IMHO has things to work yet before he gets called up. The four walks and 57 strikes out of 100 pitches shows he still needs to work on command and control of his pitches. 

11 hours ago, Tony said:

1. Kopech still isn’t ready, and that’s totally OK. 

No kidding. Kid is still walking alot of guys for my liking. Only one start he's had so far with one walk or less. The good news is, he was similar to this last year in AA before he figured it out, so here's hoping. 

11 hours ago, chitownsportsfan said:

I was there in Arizona when he got absolutely lit up vs Oakland.  To be fair I don't know what he was throwing but boy, he wasn't fooling anybody.

27 minutes ago, SoxAce said:

No kidding. Kid is still walking alot of guys for my liking. Only one start he's had so far with one walk or less. The good news is, he was similar to this last year in AA before he figured it out, so here's hoping. 

If this is your criterion for bringing him to the MLB, I don't think you will ever see him promoted. With his style of pitching (throwing as hard as he can) he is going to walk a lot of hitters. he is right about at his average for his career. It might go down a little but he is never going to be a control/command pitcher. His K/BB is almost 3/1. 

Chris Sale had a 5.2 BB/9 in the minors. Since being in the MLB he has lowered it to 2 BB/9.

10 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

He’s great defensively though, I’d take him now off Balts hands

24 minutes ago, ptatc said:

Chris Sale had a 5.2 BB/9 in the minors. Since being in the MLB he has lowered it to 2 BB/9.

Are you seriously using a sample size of innings Sale pitched in the minors (14, 4 of which came on a rehab start) to prove a point? People need to stop using Sale as a criteria. Guys like him are the exception, not the rule.

How about Randy Johnson another hard thrower. He had 6.5 BB/9 in 91 games in the minors. Once he got to the MLB he lowered it to 3.3 over time.

Or pedro martinez who had 3.7 BB/9 in the minors for 71 games and an MLB of 2.4.

My point being that in this style of pitcher it usnt uncommon to have a higher walk rate yet they can be successful and they may not wait until he is the total finished product to promote him, if they feel he is ready. Especially if his only weakness seems to be a high walk rate.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, ptatc said:

How about Randy Johnson another hard thrower. He had 6.5 BB/9 in 91 games in the minors. Once he got to the MLB he lowered it to 3.3 over time.

Or pedro martinez who had 3.7 BB/9 in the minors for 71 games and an MLB of 2.4.

My point being that in this style of pitcher it usnt uncommon to have a higher walk rate yet they can be successful and they may not wait until he is the total finished product to promote him, if they feel he is ready. Especially if his only weakness seems to be a high walk rate.

Randy Johnson was called up when he was 24 years old. Pedro was used mostly as a reliever initially.  Kopech is averaging 5 innings a start. That would most likely go down if promoted. I would think at the very least, you would have to be pretty sure he can average 5 innings a start before a promotion or you will be killing the rest of the staff, just so you can show off the new toy to play with.

Edited by Dick Allen
  • Like 1