6/5- Sox at Twins doubleheader, 3:10

flavum

4 minutes ago, greg775 said:

Fathom said it so he must feel that somewhere in his brain: Lack of a superstar at 4. I have nothing against Mr. Madrigal and Mr. Walker and Pilkington (top three picks are the ones that yu have expectations for) and I wish them well and hope they are great. But the Sox make it easy for anti-draftniks like me every year. Last year they take a Missouri State ballplayer at No. 1 for goshsakes (again I wish him well in his recovery; I'd buy him 10 beers if I could) and this year, tell me why greg shouldn't yawn. This isn't meant to be negative. Again I take the draft for what it is and hope our first 2 picks do well. Like I said I want Ws. But the biggest W ... you tell me W(hy) I should be doing handstands and want to sacrifice wins for No. 4 pick overall? 

Going by location/school alone, everyone should be camped out in NJ (Trout), Puerto Rico (Lindor/Correa), Las Vegas (Bryant/Harper), Cuba or circling Maple Woods Community College in KC while waiting for the next Albert Pujols.

1 minute ago, chitownsportsfan said:

How much more can you simplify his delivery?  He's got one of the simplest deliveries out there.   Is Gio good any other sports?  Like is he coordinated at all?  He seems like a really stiff, unathletic guy.

I agree with the consensus it’s mental.

No way that guy could pass a sobriety test. Tell him to walk a straight line and he’ll end up with one foot on its tip toes and the other behind his ears.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

How much more can you simplify his delivery?  He's got one of the simplest deliveries out there.   Is Gio good any other sports?  Like is he coordinated at all?  He seems like a really stiff, unathletic guy.

It isn't about simplicity even. It is about comfort and confidence and even I can see he has none right now. 

5 minutes ago, greg775 said:

I won't make fun of anybody, not making fun of Burger. Just saying he was a chubby third baseman from Missouri State. Poor guy has his work cut out.

The Babe Ruth was an even chubbier/unhealthier kid who grew up in a poor "On the Waterfront" home in Baltimore...

Mickey Mantle, rural Oklahoma, should we keep going on and on?

Edited by caulfield12

1 minute ago, greg775 said:

Just think if Gio can get six more outs minus a run. It would be an amazing DH for starting pitchers. Kudos to Lopez for allowing one hit. Suck it up Gio. Have yourself a ballgame.

lol, he's been bad.  The Twins have failed to make him pay.  You don't need FIP to see this is smoke and mirrors.

I saw a lot of encouraging things from Giolito today, I think he's close to turning it around. Might take until after the ASB, but watch out the 2nd half of the season. He's still been bad by all accounts today, but there are still some encouraging signs. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

2 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Two good curveballs in this sequence. 

I think it’s pretty clear he has been working on stuff. Get knocked around enough you lose confidence in your stuff. Over compensate and you screw up your delivery. He is trying hard to get that back under control 

3 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

The Babe Ruth was an even chubbier/unhealthier kid who grew up in a poor "On the Waterfront" home in Baltimore...

Mickey Mantle, rural Oklahoma, should we keep going on and on?

I saw the movies 

1 minute ago, Jack Parkman said:

I saw a lot of encouraging things from Giolito today, I think he's close to turning it around. Might take until after the ASB, but watch out the 2nd half of the season. 

Remember, this is the Twins without Mauer, Buxton (who's not much of an offensive threat this year) and both Kepler/Sano struggling mightily.  Not to mention Dozier hasn't been up to his normal (hitting) standards, either.

Rosario and Escobar are their only true threats at the moment.

1 minute ago, elrockinMT said:

I think it’s pretty clear he has been working on stuff. Get knocked around enough you lose confidence in your stuff. Over compensate and you screw up your delivery. He is trying hard to get that back under control 

Yes. I think that the Sox, Coop and Giolito himself know the stuff that made him the top pitching prospect in baseball is still there, it is going to take some time for it to be unleashed, If they didn't think that guy still existed I think he'd have been sent to Charlotte long ago. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jack Parkman said:

Yes. I think that the Sox, Coop and Giolito himself know the stuff that made him the top pitching prospect in baseball is still there, it is going to take some time for it to be unleashed, If they didn't think that guy still existed I think he'd have been sent to Charlotte long ago. 

98 mph fastball is long gone. 

7 minutes ago, fathom said:

98 mph fastball is long gone. 

We don't know for sure actually. I don't think him returning to 95-96 is out of the question though. I really think he's working on muscle memory and they really don't care about results quite yet. There's that curveball. He's been broken down and rebuilt twice. Again, Washington tried to fix what wasn't broken and messed with a guy in the process. He's probably working on repeating his delivery in a controlled manner and as we saw with Floyd, once he got comfortable he turned it loose and his velocity returned. What gives me hope is that he only goes to 90-92 when he's out of whack, and when he's controlled, he's more 93-94. 

Edited by Jack Parkman