Bruce Rondon to be optioned/DFA'd

Jose Abreu

There are about 4 different arms that could be coming up. Vieira would be my guess, but I wouldn't put money down on anyone.

Here's an outside chance alternative that I think might be interesting - Jordan Stephens. Starting as a reliever, maybe spot starter, then if Giolito scuffles badly again (or someone gets hurt), you slide him into the rotation.

35 minutes ago, NorthSideSox72 said:

There are about 4 different arms that could be coming up. Vieira would be my guess, but I wouldn't put money down on anyone.

Here's an outside chance alternative that I think might be interesting - Jordan Stephens. Starting as a reliever, maybe spot starter, then if Giolito scuffles badly again (or someone gets hurt), you slide him into the rotation.

If the All-Star break wasn’t coming up I could see it, but I think they’d rather just give him a couple starts in AAA and call him up once Shields is dealt.

Edited by Chicago White Sox

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

If the All-Star break wasn’t coming up I could see it, but I think they’d rather just give him a couple starts in AAA and call him up once Shields is dealt.

That's possible too, but then either way kinda works in the meantime.

Another scenario is, since Covey seems to have so much trouble seeing a lineup the 2nd time around, maybe he moves to the pen and Stephens to the rotation.

4 minutes ago, Sleepy Harold said:

It's amazing how quickly guys can go from having 37 saves to 3 teams in 3 months to being the 15th guy called up on a bad rebuilding team.  It makes you realize that most of the bullpen on the next Sox contender might not even be in the system right now

2 minutes ago, LittleHurt05 said:

It's amazing how quickly guys can go from having 37 saves to 3 teams in 3 months to being the 15th guy called up on a bad rebuilding team.  It makes you realize that most of the bullpen on the next Sox contender might not even be in the system right now

The Sox have some pretty high profile relief prospects in Burdi, Hamilton, & potentially Vieira & Tyler Johnson.  Plus some of our starting pitching prospects are going to fail and potentially fill roles like Fulmer, Covey, & maybe Stephens.  They will no doubt need to add a couple of relievers to anchor the pen, but I’m far less concerned about that area than any other part of the roster.  Having two young promising young lefties in Fry & Bummer also helps matters.

1 hour ago, Sleepy Harold said:

What a joke. Hey Fegan and Merkin! Get your articles out now how Gomez has been a pleasant surprise out of our bullpen this year. 

He could’ve proven to all of us a month ago if he could still pitch in the majors. Instead we’ve had to endure Rondon’s suckage for the last month. This is the one thing i’ll agree on that Hahn has not handled well. 

• Like 2

Just now, DH in the NL said:

What a joke. Hey Fegan and Merkin! Get your articles out now how Gomez has been a pleasant surprise out of our bullpen this year. 

He could’ve proven to all of us a month ago if he could still pitch in the majors. Instead we’ve had to endure Rondon’s suckage for the last month. This is the one thing i’ll agree on that Hahn has not handled well. 

Rolling the dice on Rondon made sense given his ability and the fact he was under control for a few more years.  Obviously it didn’t work out, but I think it was easily worth a shot.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Rolling the dice on Rondon made sense given his ability and the fact he was under control for a few more years.  Obviously it didn’t work out, but I think it was easily worth a shot.

And this is exactly why you do it.  If it succeeds you have either a future arm, or a chip to deal.  If they fail, you DFA them and dont think twice about it.