Moustakas to Brewers

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2018/07/brewers-to-acquire-mike-moustakas.html

The Brewers have lined up with the Royals on a deal that will bring third baseman Mike Moustakas to Milwaukee, according to MLB.com’s Jeffrey Flanagan (via Twitter). Outfielder Brett Phillips and righty Jorge Lopez are going to Kansas City in return, per the report.

Edited by Sox Fan In Husker Land

2 hours ago, BlackSox13 said:

Phillips is a nice get for the Royals. White Sox base runners are going to need to be careful running on Phillips' 80 grade arm.

I think Phillips’ swing & miss issues will prevent him from ever reaching his ceiling, but for a team this early into their rebuild it does make a lot of sense to swing for the fences with a guy like this.

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Just seems odd they couldn’t find a legit 2B.  Seemed like there were quite a few out there.

9 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

I'm sure they were in on Escobar and Cabrera given the timing of the deal.

Yeah I mean there were rumors that they were interested in Schoop (and Gausman) too so maybe the price was too high?

37 minutes ago, Sleepy Harold said:

Yeah I mean there were rumors that they were interested in Schoop (and Gausman) too so maybe the price was too high?

Yeah as I feel it should. Schoop raked last year but struggled to open the year. Hes been hitting the past month though and has a year of control left. O's may be better off waiting until the off-season to move him.

6 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I think Phillips’ swing & miss issues will prevent him from ever reaching his ceiling, but for a team this early into their rebuild it does make a lot of sense to swing for the fences with a guy like this.

Especially with a vast outfield to cover. Phillips profiles very well in RF for KC. I still like his bat potential but you're right about his swing and miss issues which I hope continue. ;)

I think it’s interesting that both the Astros and now the brewers found initial success with high k, high power lineups, then evolved to greater offense as they looked to replace the higher k players out of their lineup, even if those players were fine obp-wise.

“Ks are just another out” is clearly becoming outdated with smart franchises. As our future team comes into play and we look to trade out assets for upgrades, it feels like our low-k prospects would be the ones to bank on staying, the high k guys such as Collins could be the ones used to get us upgrades.

Royals aren't messing around...Phillips is going straight to NY today.

The Sox don't even have a full first wave in yet (and what part of the wave is here hasn't done much), so it's hard to see what the second wave is like.

And Collins is someone they drafted...if they wanted low K they could have drafted low K.

5 minutes ago, bmags said:

I think it’s interesting that both the Astros and now the brewers found initial success with high k, high power lineups, then evolved to greater offense as they looked to replace the higher k players out of their lineup, even if those players were fine obp-wise.

“Ks are just another out” is clearly becoming outdated with smart franchises. As our future team comes into play and we look to trade out assets for upgrades, it feels like our low-k prospects would be the ones to bank on staying, the high k guys such as Collins could be the ones used to get us upgrades.

The k is just another out never made any sense. It was just total denial. If you don’t k, you either put the ball in play, get HPB, walk, or hit a homer. 

I never understood how people were talking about BABIP, and saying a strikeout was just another out. There is about a 30% chance not King results in a hit.

13 minutes ago, bmags said:

I'm not sure this really describes what the Astros did (I don't know the Brewers as well). The 2 highest K guys on the Astros in 2015 were Colby Rasmus and Chris Carter - Rasmus's spot, for example, is now in the hands of Springer, who remains a high strikeout guy, but who is a better hitter because he has more power. They replaced Valbuena with Bregman, who has a comparable number of Ks, but who is just a vastly better hitter. They let Castro walk and brought in McCann, cutting them a little but in both cases the guys are now hurt. The only one where this really counts is Carter to Gurriel but Carter hasn't even remained a big leaguer. You can make the case for each of those that they just brought in better players due to bringing in more power, with the exception of Carter where they just brought in a better overall hitter.

3 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

Royals aren't messing around...Phillips is going straight to NY today.

The Sox don't even have a full first wave in yet (and what part of the wave is here hasn't done much), so it's hard to see what the second wave is like.

And Collins is someone they drafted...if they wanted low K they could have drafted low K.

You get the best talent you can get. High k players aren’t necessarily bad, they can still be very valuable. Top offenses appear to be veering away from lineups dominated by high k players. But obviously, extraordinary power could still overcome that weakness (see NYY).

But, regardless, there was a noticeable trend from the Sox front office in ‘17 onward toward players with much better k:bb rates. The 17 class was basically a bunch of college hitters with low ks, good BB rates, and moderate to plus power (though also a very unathletic class)

7 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

I'm not sure this really describes what the Astros did (I don't know the Brewers as well). The 2 highest K guys on the Astros in 2015 were Colby Rasmus and Chris Carter - Rasmus's spot, for example, is now in the hands of Springer, who remains a high strikeout guy, but who is a better hitter because he has more power. They replaced Valbuena with Bregman, who has a comparable number of Ks, but who is just a vastly better hitter. They let Castro walk and brought in McCann, cutting them a little but in both cases the guys are now hurt. The only one where this really counts is Carter to Gurriel but Carter hasn't even remained a big leaguer. You can make the case for each of those that they just brought in better players due to bringing in more power, with the exception of Carter where they just brought in a better overall hitter.

You are missing quite a bit of action that happened on the 2016-17 offseason, where they went from 2nd highest in Ks to lowest when you are looking at just today’s teams lens.

they also signed Beltran to platoon with Gattis, they signed reddick to replace Carlos Gomez, then McCann to Castro move.

Those all replaced players with decent to good production but with high Ks to move toward players that were expected to provide decent to good production but with less ks.

in some cases it didn’t work out (Beltran), but where they could replace their high k players with similar value they did.

8 minutes ago, bmags said:

The 17 class was basically a bunch of college hitters with low ks, good BB rates, and moderate to plus power (though also a very unathletic class)

And "unathletic" is against the new trend as much, if not more, than high Ks are. (although I hope the CF they drafted, who is a lot more interesting than the first 2 picks, is reasonably athletic).  I've never been able understand what this FO is trying to do and that probably won't change.

12 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

And "unathletic" is against the new trend as much, if not more, than high Ks are. (although I hope the CF they drafted, who is a lot more interesting than the first 2 picks, is reasonably athletic).  I've never been able understand what this FO is trying to do and that probably won't change.

What is it that you don’t understand?  It seems pretty clear what they’ve been trying to do in recent years whether I agree with it or not.

35 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

What is it that you don’t understand?  It seems pretty clear what they’ve been trying to do in recent years whether I agree with it or not.

Something I do not understand:  a new concern with Ks AFTER they make the single biggest move in the rebuild (trading Chris Sale) and 2 drafts after they hire a new scouting director.

Edited by GreenSox