Dodgers have reached out about Jose Abreu

Sleepy Harold

1 hour ago, wrathofhahn said:

This.

Certain fans here are completely delusional. This team lost 100 games WITH Abreu last year we have holes everywhere on the roster. Next year we should have a better idea where the holes are and what we have with most of the prospects.

The more capital we can acquire between now and next year the better position we will be when we are ready to compete. I hope these Abreu rumors are true.

You and others are missing the point.  To convince a Harper or Machado to come play here, we need to make it clear that the rebuild is coming to an end.  Trading our best hitter for a B prospects conveys the wrong the message.  This isn’t about competing in 2019, it’s about proving to them that we plan to be serious by 2020.  Dealing Abreu does the exact opposite.

9 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

You and others are missing the point.  To convince a Harper or Machado to come play here, we need to make it clear that the rebuild is coming to an end.  Trading our best hitter for a B prospects conveys the wrong the message.  This isn’t about competing in 2019, it’s about proving to them that we plan to be serious by 2020.  Dealing Abreu does the exact opposite.

Trading people who are not currently under contract for 2020 does not make us worse in 2020, we should note.

40 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

This is why Harper and Machado A) Won't come B) Shouldn't be looked at if they set artificial deadlines. The Orioles were the one of the worst teams in baseball with Machado the Nationals missed the playoffs and were a .500 team with Harper.

This isn't basketball where you can just sign Lebron and all of sudden you go from the 2nd overall pick to a playoff team. This team lost 100 games with Abreu. It will lose 80-90 games with Machado/Harper and Abreu if they sign one of them. Go through the projected starting rotation and the rest of the lineup then tell me how you get playoffs from that roster with out trading away top prospects. The fact we even look at Abreu as our best hitter and selling point should tell you just how lacking the roster is from a talent standpoint right now.  He had 1.2 WAR last season. In a good year he's a 3-4 WAR 1B.

We didn't go through this rebuild process watching the Whitesox lose for three years so we could sign Harper or Machado then raid the farm for a 2-3 year window. At least I didn't.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, southsider2k5 said:

If the Sox really do get an offer approaching what the Cards gave up for Goldy, Hahn would be negligent to not take it.  With as cheap as one dimensional players on the corners are these days, trade him and go sign somebody else.

No doubt, but I highly doubt we'd get that kind offer.  Two top 100 or recently graduated top 100 prospects for Abreu would be highway robbery at this point.  It isn't happening.  

4 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

No doubt, but I highly doubt we'd get that kind offer.  Two top 100 or recently graduated top 100 prospects for Abreu would be highway robbery at this point.  It isn't happening.  

I mean it depends on the demand and how he is viewed as a hitter by those clubs. I hope we could get one top 50 prospect like Alvarez and two interesting C guys with upside. At this point I would consider that an extremely good haul.

Edited by wrathofhahn
Changed think to hope.

1 minute ago, wrathofhahn said:

I mean it depends on the demand and how he is viewed as a hitter by those clubs. I think we could get one top prospect like Alvarez and two interesting guys. At this point I would consider that an extremely good haul.

Dodgers Alvarez? I'd personally rather hold onto Abreu and see what this offseason holds than trade him for another potential future reliever.  

there are frankly a lot of astros packages I would take, I really like Josh James profile. Josh James plus soxtalk favorite Garrett Stubbs! 

Or go big on assets and go after Nova, use him as a trade piece if sox get short-term better.

2 minutes ago, bmags said:

there are frankly a lot of astros packages I would take, I really like Josh James profile. Josh James plus soxtalk favorite Garrett Stubbs! 

Or go big on assets and go after Nova, use him as a trade piece if sox get short-term better.

I like Nova, but he's pretty far away to make sense for our contention window. If I am dealing Abreu, I would like to try and help boost the team in the next 2-5 years with talent. 

Just now, steveno89 said:

I like Nova, but he's pretty far away to make sense for our contention window. If I am dealing Abreu, I would like to try and help boost the team in the next 2-5 years with talent. 

Nova would work fine as the 2nd or 3rd guy in a trade. I often don't understand after these deals we hear a GM is presented with two options a 25 year old 4A player and a young highly regarded guy like Nova how many pick the 4A guy.

1 minute ago, wrathofhahn said:

Nova would work fine as the 2nd or 3rd guy in a trade. I often don't understand after these deals we hear a GM is presented with two options a 25 year old 4A player and a young highly regarded guy like Nova how many pick the 4A guy.

I would bet in the industry Nova is valued way higher than you'd expect.

He would be an excellent trade piece to use for the many teams selling like AZ/Sea too.

1 hour ago, Balta1701 said:

Trading people who are not currently under contract for 2020 does not make us worse in 2020, we should note.

We can tender him a contract for the 2020 season, which greatly improves our chance of retaining him for another season.  Regardless, it’s more about the optics.  No one will be able to convince me that trading away Abreu helps our story that we want to be competitive in 2020.

48 minutes ago, wrathofhahn said:

This is why Harper and Machado A) Won't come B) Shouldn't be looked at if they set artificial deadlines. The Orioles were the one of the worst teams in baseball with Machado the Nationals missed the playoffs and were a .500 team with Harper.

This isn't basketball where you can just sign Lebron and all of sudden you go from the 2nd overall pick to a playoff team. This team lost 100 games with Abreu. It will lose 80-90 games with Machado/Harper and Abreu if they sign one of them. Go through the projected starting rotation and the rest of the lineup then tell me how you get playoffs from that roster with out trading away top prospects. The fact we even look at Abreu as our best hitter and selling point should tell you just how lacking the roster is from a talent standpoint right now.  He had 1.2 WAR last season. In a good year he's a 3-4 WAR 1B.

We didn't go through this rebuild process watching the Whitesox lose for three years so we could sign Harper or Machado then raid the farm for a 2-3 year window. At least I didn't.

How does not dealing Abreu have anything to do with raiding the farm system?  And yes the roster is lacking, which is why the priority is using our financial flexibility to land a whale.  Not getting one of these guys will delay our timeline to compete and puts significant pressure on us to develop our all stars internally.  Whatever scraps you can get for Jose isn’t worth that risk.

42 minutes ago, wrathofhahn said:

I mean it depends on the demand and how he is viewed as a hitter by those clubs. I hope we could get one top 50 prospect like Alvarez and two interesting C guys with upside. At this point I would consider that an extremely good haul.

Your expectations are completely unrealistic IMO.

7 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Your expectations are completely unrealistic IMO.

They could be then again maybe not. We don't know what is being offered. The Astros reportedly offered two top 100 prospects for Goldie plus some other mystery players and instead settled for two MLB ready former top 50 prospects and a comp B pick,

7 minutes ago, wrathofhahn said:

They could be then again maybe not. We don't know what is being offered. The Astros reportedly offered two top 100 prospects for Goldie plus some other mystery players and instead settled for two MLB ready former top 50 prospects and a comp B pick,

And Goldie is a significantly more valuable player than Abreu. Your expectations are insane. 

• Thanks 1