Grandal - Early Off-Season Speculation

SonofaRoache

1 minute ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

It’s simple. I’ve watched Grandal catch quite a bit and I believe he’s much closer to the career 16 bWAR player per BR than the career 32 fWAR player per FG. At just a tick over 2 bWAR per season that’s not bad but he’s going to get paid much more than most 31 year old 2 WAR/season catchers would. Pass.

Reharding JDM, he’s best suited as an AL DH but I also believe he could very well post a 3 WAR season next year as an OF, ala 2019 Jorge Soler (also not a major league quality OF).

Soler spent 2/3 of his time at DH. And bWAR is garbage. 

JDM would be great. I am not going to be disappointed if the Sox sign him. But Grandal is an exponentially better fit for so many reasons that have already been explained in depth. 

I guess we’ll just gotta see how it plays out. But the whole “pass on Grandal” take is pretty silly. 

18 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Soler spent 2/3 of his time at DH. And bWAR is garbage. 

JDM would be great. I am not going to be disappointed if the Sox sign him. But Grandal is an exponentially better fit for so many reasons that have already been explained in depth. 

I guess we’ll just gotta see how it plays out. But the whole “pass on Grandal” take is pretty silly. 

Agree to disagree

10 hours ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Pass. Not a fan at all of a monster deal for a soon to be 31 year old catcher that I feel is very overrated defensively.

I don't necessarily disagree with this

Have to be cautious in MLB FA since the vast majority of MLB FAs are 30+

Also, bad contracts limit teams incredibly, don't wanna be stuck in that hole

Exactly why I don't wanna over pay anyone (Wheeler, Bumgarner, Ozuna)

Term and money have to be right

57 minutes ago, ChiSoxJon said:

Good luck signing any quality free agent with this mindset.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ChiSoxJon said:

Are you in Jerry’s will or something? The team has a pathetically low payroll already and you’re worried about overspending? Why?

Overspending in free agency is a deal with the devil you pretty much have to make. Will it backfire sometimes? Of course. But do we have a shot in hell of putting a WS roster on the field without making at least a couple big splash signings? Extremely unlikely

17 minutes ago, TheFutureIsNear said:

Are you in Jerry’s will or something? The team has a pathetically low payroll already and you’re worried about overspending? Why?

Overspending in free agency is a deal with the devil you pretty much have to make. Will it backfire sometimes? Of course. But do we have a shot in hell of putting a WS roster on the field without making at least a couple big splash signings? Extremely unlikely

Difference between overspending and making a couple big splashes

CWS can't afford to make as many financial mistakes LAD, BOS, and NYY  and still compete

17 hours ago, poppysox said:

Grandal is my #1 want for position players.  A fair offer probably lands him.  He won't want a repeat of last year.

If I am the Sox I do not mess around. Grandal would be a rock solid addition and lock down the catching position for the next three years. McCann simply is not the long term answer as a starer, do not let his hot first half fool you. 

44 minutes ago, ChiSoxJon said:

Difference between overspending and making a couple big splashes

CWS can't afford to make as many financial mistakes LAD, BOS, and NYY  and still compete

Free Agency IS overspending. If you think they are going to build a serious contender with mostly home grown talent you’re delusional. The Sox will need to add significant impact players from outside the organization or they wont be able to compete. Same with payroll, if they aren’t willing to get at least close to $150M eventually (doesn’t have to be all this year necessarily) we all might as well give up. 

16 minutes ago, TheFutureIsNear said:

Free Agency IS overspending. If you think they are going to build a serious contender with mostly home grown talent you’re delusional. The Sox will need to add significant impact players from outside the organization or they wont be able to compete. Same with payroll, if they aren’t willing to get at least close to $150M eventually (doesn’t have to be all this year necessarily) we all might as well give up. 

Hard to find flagrant overspending on the WS Champion Nats, with maybe the exception of Corbin, almost all of their guys acquired in FA are on fair deals and not on Ellsbury, Harper, Machado, Fielder, Pujols, Cano overpays

The core of this team is here, just need to add a few pieces and develop properly

1 hour ago, ChiSoxJon said:

Hard to find flagrant overspending on the WS Champion Nats, with maybe the exception of Corbin, almost all of their guys acquired in FA are on fair deals and not on Ellsbury, Harper, Machado, Fielder, Pujols, Cano overpays

The core of this team is here, just need to add a few pieces and develop properly

Yes, Max Scherzer and Patrick Corbin had nothing to do with the Nats winning the World Series and were cheap signings. Good thing they didn’t “overspend”

• Like 1

On 11/1/2019 at 10:22 AM, steveno89 said:

If the Sox sign Grandal Collins becomes trade bait or maybe he will have a spot on the 25 man roster but only on a very short leash.  That leash gets shorter if he is primarily used as a DH and is still hitting around .200 even with occasional home runs.

IMO Zack (who will be 25 before next season)  is not going to resign himself into becoming a  platoon LH DH and seldom used third option as catcher.  If that is how the Sox want to use him he may ask for a trade to a team where he at least has a chance to become a back-up catcher.  In any event I am sure he is waiting to see whether or not the Sox sign Grandal.

19 minutes ago, tray said:

If the Sox sign Grandal Collins becomes trade bait or maybe he will have a spot on the 25 man roster but only on a very short leash.  That leash gets shorter if he is primarily used as a DH and is still hitting around .200 even with occasional home runs.

IMO Zack (who will be 25 before next season)  is not going to resign himself into becoming a  platoon LH DH and seldom used third option as catcher.  If that is how the Sox want to use him he may ask for a trade to a team where he at least has a chance to become a back-up catcher.  In any event I am sure he is waiting to see whether or not the Sox sign Grandal.

Remember it is a 26 man roster this year so the leash might be longer.

If JDM returns to Boston, I think Grandal becomes priority #1 for us (excluding Abreu)...then RF (Ozuna, Puig, Castellanos) and DH (Encarnacion, Kendrick)

Think everyone on this forum knows I'm all for an affordable, innings eating vet starter or two on the short term (Hamels, Miley)

JDM, Grandal, Abreu, Hamels, Miley, Kendrick seems ideal/realistic to me

I like the idea of having Kendrick at 2B until Madrigal is up and then move him to DH or as a versatile bat off the bench

49 minutes ago, ChiSoxJon said:

If JDM returns to Boston, I think Grandal becomes priority #1 for us (excluding Abreu)...then RF (Ozuna, Puig, Castellanos) and DH (Encarnacion, Kendrick)

Think everyone on this forum knows I'm all for an affordable, innings eating vet starter or two on the short term (Hamels, Miley)

JDM, Grandal, Abreu, Hamels, Miley, Kendrick seems ideal/realistic to me

I like the idea of having Kendrick at 2B until Madrigal is up and then move him to DH or as a versatile bat off the bench

Goodness that rotation would be depressing given the great SP FA crop this year....

2 hours ago, cjgalloway said:

Goodness that rotation would be depressing given the great SP FA crop this year....

Yet still an improvement

Gio, Hamels, Miley, Cease (innings limit likely) , Lopez is more than fine to me

Kopech will also be back (likely on an innings limit) as well Rodon at some point and maybe Dunning

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, ChiSoxJon said:

Yet still an improvement

Gio, Hamels, Miley, Cease (innings limit likely) , Lopez is more than fine to me

Kopech will also be back (likely on an innings limit) as well Rodon at some point and maybe Dunning

I don't think theres any chance or reason for Cease to be on a limit next year.

On 11/1/2019 at 8:58 AM, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

Good luck signing any quality free agent with this mindset.

Granted the Cubs and Bosox won World Series but then you end up in a cul de sac with bad contracts.

25 minutes ago, Joshua Strong said:

I really want Grandal but the Sox should’ve signed him last year, now they would get him a year older. 

Yes, but sox weren't competing and would have cost a pick on top of that. Go sign him now with no pick attached and more chance to compete 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, ChiSoxJon said:

Yet still an improvement

Mired in mediocrity, again.  Might as well add Gio Gonzalez, so we have two Gio’s.

• Like 1