Zack Wheeler: To the Phils (5yr 118); Sox had made BIGGER offer

Soxnfins

1 minute ago, Dick Allen said:

First off, while the dollar figure may have been slightly more, we don't know if the present day value was more or the tax ramifications, deferred payments, which probably both offers had, or other things. if indeed it's a legit reason. It could just be that he thinks the Phillies are closer to winning but wants to be classy. But OK, assume his fiances family is the legit reason.  And I have never said players take the most money always. Ultimately the offers were too similar to blow that off, But if you bet on it, you will win a lot more than you lose.    In fact, if you read this thread, one person mentioned geography as an issue where the Sox may have to bump their offer a bit higher. That poster was me. 

You are taking the $20 million figure someone just threw out there as gospel. I wouldn't blame the White Sox for that. But $10 million over 5 years?  Admittedly, that is a bit much too, but the price of business. If it's time to win, let's get the best horses. 

You have consistently said that during our Machado and other FA discussions.

1 minute ago, caulfield12 said:

The idea of Javy was always greater than the sum of all his parts.

A $300 million arm who never could be anything more than a solid #3/4 and somehow always managed to give up untimely big innings or come out on the wrong side of decisions.

He made $99M in 14 seasons. 

2 minutes ago, ptatc said:

You have consistently said that during our Machado and other FA discussions.

C'mon. They do take the most money most of the time, but not everything is always. When you are talking  1 or 2 million on 118 million, that's really not much of a differenc. 

The Cubs never seem to lose anyone because they want to be closer to their in laws. 

Edited by Dick Allen
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

Holy hell is he insufferable

He isn't exactly wrong though. 

The Sox did this to themselves. Not only have they faltered along the way in terms of making the right moves and making flat out wrong ones but they have taken huge PR hits in the media with the Jerry loves second place story and all the shenanigans that came with last years miss on Machado. They dont have an equity earned with the fans and they will have to dig themselves out of this.   

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I hate Pnoles as much as anyone, but he’s got a point.  Not saying we should be up in arms over the miss, but money is only as valuable as your next best alternative.

Were does this logic stop though? 120 is already way more than 95% of people thought.

5 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

The idea of Javy was always greater than the sum of all his parts.

A $300 million arm who never could be anything more than a solid #3/4 and somehow always managed to give up untimely big innings or come out on the wrong side of decisions.

Right. And that is exactly what Robbie Ray is. 

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I hate Pnoles as much as anyone, but he’s got a point.  Not saying we should be up in arms over the miss, but money is only as valuable as your next best alternative.

Yeah, I didn't post here when he did but he's not wrong.  Where is that money going now?  Thats a lot of cash.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

First off, while the dollar figure may have been slightly more, we don't know if the present day value was more or the tax ramifications, deferred payments, which probably both offers had, or other things. if indeed it's a legit reason. It could just be that he thinks the Phillies are closer to winning but wants to be classy. But OK, assume his fiances family is the legit reason.  And I have never said players take the most money always. Ultimately the offers were too similar to blow that off, But if you bet on it, you will win a lot more than you lose.    In fact, if you read this thread, one person mentioned geography as an issue where the Sox may have to bump their offer a bit higher. That poster was me. 

You are taking the $20 million figure someone just threw out there as gospel. I wouldn't blame the White Sox for that. But $10 million over 5 years?  Admittedly, that is a bit much too, but the price of business. If it's time to win, let's get the best horses. 

The overall problem isn’t this ONE deal...it’s the lack of talent in the minor leagues to play around with AND the next two FA pitching classes being pretty darned MEHH.

If we still don’t have the starting pitching or leaps of improvement in the farm system...then we’re just wasting every single year of Moncada, Giolito, Anderson and Grandal.  The countdown clock is already ticking.   The pitcher might have to come at the trade deadline next year.

And we still don’t have a closer for 2021 or the look of a top-notch overall pen...albeit that’s easier to find.

One just has to hope and pray everything breaks right before the first article suggesting a trade of one of those four guys appears.Missing the playoffs in 2021 really amps up the pressure.

Just wonder if they kept Narvaez...we could have saved on Grandal and really had the money to go after Cole or Strasburg, but that’s really a pipe dream.  And they better hope Abreu doesn’t fall off a cliff in 2021-22 or it’s going to turn ugly...not through any fault of Abreu’s personally, he’s not the one writing the checks, after all.

Edited by caulfield12

1 minute ago, Jack Parkman said:

I was referring solely to his Sox tenure sans 2007. 

Javy has a higher lifetime WAR per game than Buehrle. He was a flaw in the WAR system. When the Sox were good, Javy was bad. When the Sox were bad, Javy was good. Can't put WAR numbers on what is going on in the head. 

Just now, Dick Allen said:

Javy has a higher lifetime WAR per game than Buehrle. He was a flaw in the WAR system. When the Sox were good, Javy was bad. When the Sox were bad, Javy was good. Can't put WAR numbers on what is going on in the head. 

I'm with you. Javy Vazquez is a kink in ye olde WAR system. He sucked except for 2007. Every time he was on a good team, whether it was with the Sox or elsewhere, he folded under the pressure. 

48 minutes ago, Eminor3rd said:

Not bad, though. More like “inefficient.” But is that really a problem with this roster?

the whole point to this rebuilding strategy is that you collect so much talent that’s underpaid (In other words, extremely efficient) you have space to actually get what you need via free agency, in which only the highest bid wins, making every win, by definition, inefficient.

if they were only ever going to sign players that the rest of the market misses on, there was never any point to rebuilding in the first place. You can be an also-ran fringe wild card contender and still be willing to get free agents on “good value” no matter what your payroll is. 

Frame this and hang it on the wall everyone

Just now, Chisox378 said:

Remember last season everyone was so upset we didnt spend 300 mil on a .256 hitter..... Wheeler is good, but his ERA was at 3.96 last season, there may be better options.

Obviously the White Sox didn't think so. At least realistic ones.

All I know is that these drawn out negotiations, granted these weren't as drawn out as years past, but still, a couple of weeks of daily rumors, the Sox are piss poor at conversion. When they convert, you hear nothing, then boom it's done.  

• Like 1