Sox just lost most embarrasing DH in 120 years of MLB

Buehrle>Wood

1 minute ago, Dick Allen said:

The players like Renteria. That is a big part of the job, but he really doesn’t have much feel for the bullpen, probably the biggest part of managing. This goes back to his days with the Cubs. He isn’t the guy who is going to lead a team that is not totally stacked to a title.

When Detwiler came in that first game, I thought why the hell is he using him here?  He might've been very helpful in game 2 imho.

Nothing tops the brutal 1967 DH loss to the last place KC Royals with 5 games left.  Had the Sox won 3 of those 5 games, they're in the World Series. 

The KC manager was Sox HOFamer Luke Appling who started 2 rookie pitchers against them. One of them Jim Catfish Hunter.

Edited by GradMc
  • Like 3

I have been a huge fan of Abreu but I have never brought the team leader stuff from him. He may be a good mentor to the young guys but he strikes me as someone that has no self awareness which is so important in leadership. He wants to play every single day, if he doesn’t he gets mad, he hates to DH, he only likes batting 3rd or 4th. Give me a break. Dallas said guys weren’t having professional at bats and this guy goes and gives a quote about how “guys are trying” and they “ would have won with or without Dallas’ speech”. Then today, in a 3-0 count, he dribbles to the pitcher. Have some self awareness and be a leader. One of the worst parts about it is that Ricky is loyal to him to a fault.  Also, as always, fire Ricky. 

• Thanks 1

There is only one person on the Sox that knows what a championship team looks like and he already let the world know what he thinks about this team. THAT should be enough to know that this team is not run like a championship one. 

Edited by Orlando

2 minutes ago, Orlando said:

I have been a huge fan of Abreu but I have never brought the team leader stuff from him. He may be a good mentor to the young guys but he strikes me as someone that has no self awareness which is so important in leadership. He wants to play every single day, if he doesn’t he gets mad, he hates to DH, he only likes batting 3rd or 4th. Give me a break. Dallas said guys weren’t having professional at bats and this guy goes and gives a quote about how “guys are trying” and they “ would have won with or without Dallas’ speech”. Then today, in a 3-0 count, he dribbles to the pitcher. Have some self awareness and be a leader. One of the worst parts about it is that Ricky is loyal to him to a fault.  Also, as always, fire Ricky. 

Jose homered on 3-0 fastball last week.  Cardinals knew this and gave him a 3-0 change up. It was smart pitch calling by them, something the Sox really suck at.  I get why Abreu was guessing 3-0 fastball, but the issue is he is guessing on every pitch now it seems.

1 hour ago, Dick Allen said:

The 3 guys in front of him today had no hits.

This is true, but doesn’t change the fact that Abreu is an easy out vs RHP no matter what the others are doing. Grandal has no business in the top 3 either, and he should see absolutely nothing to hit with easy out Abreu behind him. 
Ricky is doing opponents favors every time he trots out these lineups that spread the hitters that other teams are concerned about all over the lineup with easy outs behind them. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, ChiSox1917 said:

Couldnt agree more with all 15 of those tweets

I think we are coming around on free agents though. Everyone loved the Grandal signing which was huge, he has just been disappointing like 95% of free agents to sign with this team. People like the add of Cishek to complement the bullpen, liked the Kuechel signing (only good one so far), and most liked EE coming in as a vet DH because most didn't trust Collins. The issue lies with the coaching and front office. I have said this 100 times but whoever is doing out in game scouting of opponents or getting us ready to face pitchers or certain hitters is god awful. 90% of the time we are in bad shifts, hitters have 0 plan at the plate, and pitchers seem to have no game plan to start the game. But on the flip side our opponents are always in good shifts, know how to attack our hitters with ease, and have a gameplan. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GradMc said:

Nothing tops the brutal 1967 DH loss to the last place KC Royals with 5 games left.  Had the Sox won 3 of those 5 games, they're in the World Series. 

The KC manager was Sox HOFamer Luke Appling who started 2 rookie pitchers against them. One of them Jim Catfish Hunter.

This is good stuff and very. Love learning the history! Were you alive then/old enough to remember those games?

Edited by Yearnin' for Yermin

Some of you guys are really freaking out. How come nobody is blaming the state of hitting philosophy in today's baseball? As long as it's HR or strikeout being preferred, this team is probably going to struggle ... except the nights the superstars (Eloy, Robert, Moncada, Timmy, Grandal) hit several homers between them. Or nights Abreu, EE, Mazura hit a couple. There will be plenty of nights we score a lot of runs in a normal season. Our bats are too potent to not score a ton of runs.

As far as pitching ... the staff needs help. I'll be shocked if we make the playoffs and/or win the ALCS with this pitching staff. As far as Ricky ... cmon. How important is a manager? I'm not crazy about RR, but I don't think he's a clown, either. 

Defensively? Sox are average at best.

Good luck to the Sox but the team isn't as bad as some are saying and getting rid of RR isn't that important.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, EloyJenkins said:

Statements like that are only made when your owner is Jerry reinsdorf. Mark Cuban would fire this dumbass tomorrow

Maybe not a great comparison. Rick Carlisle won the NBA Championship in 2011.Since then his teams have either been eliminated in 1st round or missed the playoffs totally. Cuban has been very faithful to Carlisle despite their lack of success in the playoffs since. George Steinbrenner would be a better example of a quick trigger finger.