Dunning Optioned; Delmonico recalled

ChiSox59

8 minutes ago, soxfan49 said:

IIRC they did xrays on Robert. Should I assume that they also did an MRI? Because maybe they didn't, it's still sore and now they ran the MRI and see something's up with a ligament 

It would seem any imaging would have been done before yesterday’s game, and Ricky said there was no concern at all.

Maybe they are realizing Mazara is not that good.  I kind of wondered why Delmonico had not been brought up when we were short handed in the outfield. 

Also Delmonico is a late inning replacement for defense and LH bat so he makes some sense.

As far as Dunning, it allows him to get whatever work he needs in a taxi squad game next game as opposed to RR using him in the wrong spot out of the bullpen.

15 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

What? This is quite the reach.

This is about them likely not trusting Luis Gonzalez to play in MLB games.

What is the reach? If Robert could go, Delmonico would be in Schaumburg, and if they are not trusting Luis Gonzalez to play MLB games, why is he not in Schaumburg.

Maybe the plan all along was to start Dunning and send him back. But I would trust him a lot more than Gio Gonzalez at this point.

Edited by Dick Allen
  • Like 1

Just now, Dick Allen said:

What is the reach? If Robert could go, Delmonico would be in Schaumburg, and if they are not trusting Luis Gonzalez to play MLB games, why is he not in Schaumburg?

I think the obvious answer the final question is that the Sox are crazy thin in both the IF and the OF as far are bench players go once Leury went down.  

17 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

What is the reach? If Robert could go, Delmonico would be in Schaumburg, and if they are not trusting Luis Gonzalez to play MLB games, why is he not in Schaumburg.

Maybe the plan all along was to start Dunning and send him back. But I would trust him a lot more than Gio Gonzalez at this point.

I think the plan was always to send him back until his next start. Delmonico is just there because Robert is out today and they don't trust Gonzalez I don't think. I don't think it means Robert's injury is secretly serious or anything like that. Fingers crossed.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run

53 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

It might just be the Sox don't think Dunning is ready to handle the workload, given his return, so think they can do a better job giving him extended rest and the right workouts in his rehabilitation from injury?  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

It might just be the Sox don't think Dunning is ready to handle the workload, given his return, so think they can do a better job giving him extended rest and the right workouts in his rehabilitation from injury?  

That was exactly what Hahn said.  They didn't want him up until the felt comfortable letting him go at 100% at the major league level.

2 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I have never seen a pair of player moves make me so angry.

Eh.  The Dunning part doesn't bother me at all.  He isn't going to start for a 10 days, which allows you to utilize the roster spot for someone else until the spot comes up again.  He will be back, I would bet on it.

3 hours ago, bmags said:

Dunning's start was a huge positive, that said, really annoys me that they didn't give him the drew Anderson start a few weeks ago. We have same control now, and he would have given us a much better opener in an important game.

A few weeks ago Dunning could have probably only gone an inning or two. They specifically said at the time they didn't want to bring Dunning up to only pitch an inning or two. They wanted to get him ready for an outing where it could nearly resemble a real start.

• Like 1