MLB Winter Meetings Thread

Orlando

8 hours ago, kwill said:

Am I the only one who would prefer James Paxton to Jose Quintana. 

I guess my thought its you already have 3 innings eaters in the rotation so you can gamble a bit with higher upside. 

Nope, in full agreement. 

Sox have:

Giolito

Keuchel

Lynn

Cease - can take a full load if his results warrant it

Kopech - probably limited to 100ip. Going to have to balance performance/rust & balancing those innings so that he has something left in the tank (assuming he is sharp) to have those innings fall in the playoffs)

Lopez - probably outside looking in/had his chance. should be a bullpen piece or long reliever. however obviously can handle the load of eating innings

Stiever - is he ready? probably not, but another guy who can make a few spot starts and give innings

Crochet - I've basically counted him out. Forearm injuries never seem to just go away. I'm mentally counting him out for the season and some of 2022. Anything he adds is gravy. If healthy basically just read Kopech's description. He should be limited and ramped up as the season goes to coincide with playoffs

Flores Jr. - can probably give a few spot starts

So in that mix you need 1 guy to step up and then the 5th spot can be a rotating door based on need/schedule/days off. Ideally 2-3 of those other guys show promise enough so that they're on a playoff roster. 

Which leads me to your post - yes. We don't need a quintana at all. if he's willing to take a 1 year deal i dont think it hinders any of our young guys futures since the top guys (Kopech/Crochet) both need to see less action this year anyways and the other guys (Flores/Stiever) could use some more AAA seasoning too. Lopez is just an arm at this point to me, so who cares. 

Assuming all of that? I'd want the high upside guy who can shutdown a playoff roster for 2-5 innings if healthy. 

Paxton, Rich Hill, Corey Kluber

I think it's pretty reasonable to expect one of Cease,  Kopech or Crochet to step-up as the #4

9 hours ago, kwill said:

Am I the only one who would prefer James Paxton to Jose Quintana. 

I guess my thought its you already have 3 innings eaters in the rotation so you can gamble a bit with higher upside. 

1000% agree. If Paxton is back healthy, he is pretty damn good, if not elite. He won't give you the innings like Quintana, but he will definitely shut down teams much more. 

Anyone see this??: 

https://www.mlb.com/news/george-springer-free-agency-case-for-white-sox

I love the idea of moving Eloy to DH, but there is no way that JR buys Eaton AND Springer...but the idea here to delay Vaughn a season and let Eaton walk after next year and put Springer in RF and Eloy back to LF when Vaughn is ready is interesting no doubt. 

29 minutes ago, EloyJenkins said:

Anyone see this??: 

https://www.mlb.com/news/george-springer-free-agency-case-for-white-sox

I love the idea of moving Eloy to DH, but there is no way that JR buys Eaton AND Springer...but the idea here to delay Vaughn a season and let Eaton walk after next year and put Springer in RF and Eloy back to LF when Vaughn is ready is interesting no doubt. 

Bonus: That lineup is protected against one or two players regressing and the loss of McCann.

If you by some miracle added Springer and Hendriks, then the 4 and 5 spots in the rotation have less pressure to be studly out the gate.

Where is the dude who said the Sox were trading for Darvish? After he did that, Al’s beef tweeted “trade on the way” or something and a few minutes later, Lance Lynn. We need that to happen again. Someone share something that sets things in motion tonight lol

3 minutes ago, aeichhor said:

Sinkerballer for Kuhl. I thought he showed some promise when he came up but 2019 missed the whole year for TJS, so with only 2020 on his record since the surgery and an elevated walk rate in 46 innings it’s hard to see him as a fit for what this team could use.

1 hour ago, Orlando said:

Where is the dude who said the Sox were trading for Darvish? After he did that, Al’s beef tweeted “trade on the way” or something and a few minutes later, Lance Lynn. We need that to happen again. Someone share something that sets things in motion tonight lol

tenor.gif

Sorry the piggy bank was just open enough for a short time.  Maybe a closer and an maybe a #4 or $5.  Darvish cost to much.  Scrooge needs to keep his money.  

6 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

I think the "meetings" end today. Fans were disappointed with the lack of action. 

The meetings end today. Not a lot of movement this year which I think was expected. Once the first big domino falls I think the rest will fall. MLB needs to resolve the universal DH situation.

Edited by maloney.adam

7 minutes ago, maloney.adam said:

The meetings end today. Not a lot of movement this year which I think was expected. Once the first big domino falls I think the rest will fall. MLB needs to resolve the universal DH situation.

Absolutely.  Having a DH in both leagues will open up quite a few more spots for some hitters out there in limbo.

And, the first domino does need to fall.  Adam Eaton was obviously not that domino.  I imagine George Springer and/or Trevor Bauer will be.

22 minutes ago, maloney.adam said:

I don’t think the meetings being over will speed/slow things up much at all.  Not like anything virtually changes.

Alright so if we are going to be stuck where we are, I know a lot of people mentioned Schwarber for DH. I don't think he takes an AL DH role that gets him replaced, but I do think it's possible we say we'll rotate him with Eloy to get him some reps and probably could make the ABs work even with a vaughn call up.

But I don't think schwarber signs here, so:

- Howie Kendrick - great vet coming off down year (but you didn't care about that with Eaton) who generally hits RHP well because he generally hits everyone well. Possibly babip bad luck last year, or the sign that he finally is about cooked. But generally low risk, whereas if he's great, you give yourself leeway to let Vaughn marinate. 1 yr/5 mill vet bonus.

- Travis Shaw - While not great, he is versatile and would provide some insurance in case [i can't say it, but you know what I am saying]. He is also LH and would be an option against RHP. He's also pretty good against breaking pitches, so maybe that helps. He was horrendous in 2019 but was closer last year. Maybe you get that sweet 2017-18 Shaw that was a 130 wRC+ against RHP. Steamer basically pegs him where he was at last year, slightly below average. 

Probably cheap, gives us some more insurance if we lose Moncada/Madrigal for some time, and in the meantime can play DH against RHP while we wait for Vaughn.