Jonathan Lucroy signs minor league deal with White Sox

Sleepy Harold

2 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

This doesn't mean anything. It just allows the White Sox to not DFA anyone yet. 

It means 30 teams wouldn't guarantee him money. If I think I am suddenly healed and back to my 27 year old self, I can think of more desirable places to show that than behind Grandal.

I hope the guy is great but the odds are overwhelming he is a 0.0 WAR player.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

Edgar Martinez had a .300 season with am OPS of 800 by age 27, including about 1000 MLB PAs. Let's not be ridiculous here.

That's the whole point . What was he before that breakout season ? Before that season he had 245 ML PA's . After it he had a little over 800 AB's so don't use your words to make it seem like he had close to 1000 PA's before that breakout season. He did well in 3 partial season while Seattle couldn't find him much playing time. He was set back to the minors . Yes he played 3rd base in the early part of his career. For 3 years playing 3rd he put up great seasons but the next 2 years he had some injuries . By 1995 he was a full time DH at the age of 32.

Anyway it's not ridiculous to think that the Sox missed an opportunity to see what they had. 9 out of 10 time you find you have nothing. I'm not here to pretend Yermin is something he isn't. Practically everyone here didn't see 2020 as a contention year. The young pitchers were still injured and not developing. With a little foresight you give Yermin some PT in 2019 and maybe you find out he can hit ML pitching. Then in 2020 maybe there's no need to get Encarnacion. There really wasn't a need to get him anyway. I was against that signing. The Sox weren't winning anything with him doing well or lousy.

I'm pretty sure you didn't see 2020 as a contention year. Look beyond what's right in front of your face for a moment. Maybe the Sox spend money on more pitching instead of EE . Maybe Yermin hits  good as the DH. Maybe then the Sox are playing so well , they actually do pick up someone at the trade deadline and go a lot farther in the playoffs. And now they have a good DH more pitching to enter the off season.

Sometimes what a team doesn't do can change things as much as what they do. I don't need a dose of your "he is what he is". I heard that often enough with McCann and also with Mazara. Mostly  "he is what he is" is true but when it isn't it can  start a  chain of events that could change a team's fortune. Just like the Tatis trade probably has.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

That's the whole point . What was he before that breakout season ? Before that season he had 245 ML PA's . After it he had a little over 800 AB's so don't use your words to make it seem like he had close to 1000 PA's before that breakout season. He did well in 3 partial season while Seattle couldn't find him much playing time. He was set back to the minors . Yes he played 3rd base in the early part of his career. For 3 years playing 3rd he put up great seasons but the next 2 years he had some injuries . By 1995 he was a full time DH at the age of 32.

Anyway it's not ridiculous to think that the Sox missed an opportunity to see what they had. 9 out of 10 time you find you have nothing. I'm not here to pretend Yermin is something he isn't. Practically everyone here didn't see 2020 as a contention year. The young pitchers were still injured and not developing. With a little foresight you give Yermin some PT in 2019 and maybe you find out he can hit ML pitching. Then in 2020 maybe there's no need to get Encarnacion. There really wasn't a need to get him anyway. I was against that signing. The Sox weren't winning anything with him doing well or lousy.

I'm pretty sure you didn't see 2020 as a contention year. Look beyond what's right in front of your face for a moment. Maybe the Sox spend money on more pitching instead of EE . Maybe Yermin hits  good as the DH. Maybe then the Sox are playing so well , they actually do pick up someone at the trade deadline and go a lot farther in the playoffs. And now they have a good DH more pitching to enter the off season.

Sometimes what a team doesn't do can change things as much as what they do. I don't need a dose of your "he is what he is". I heard that often enough with McCann and also with Mazara. Mostly  "he is what he is" is true but when it isn't it can  start a  chain of events that could change a team's fortune. Just like the Tatis trade probably has.

First, I preface by saying Grandal's a great catcher, one of the best, that's obvious.   But it seems the Sox catching valuation process has been a little odd the last 2 years.  Both Yermin & Collins had shown in MiLB that they were ready to compete for a job in 2020; both having very good 2019 O & D #'s,  Zack had his troubles in his 2019 call up but still deserved to be in the mix again.  McCann also had his breakout 2019.  So the 3 of them formed a pretty good trifecta with lots of potential & at the least, adequate. 

But instead the Sox do this kneejerk reaction and sign Grandal.  That was a real head scratcher for me at the time.  They basically thumbed their noses at all 3 of them. That $18m could have been spent much smarter by re-uping McCann for 2-3 years relatively cheaply and spending the rest elsewhere.  Then both Yermin and Zack would have had a much fairer chance to compete and prove if they were worthy.  All the while, the dropoff from Grandal/McCann to McCann/Collins/Yermin would not have been that impactful with an extra $12-13m spent elsewhere (after a McCann signing).   We had bigger needs elsewhere particularly with all the TJ's going on, and still do.  Even if they didn't spend it and hung on to it for this offseason, think of how they could have used it.  Like I said, I like Grandal but I'll never understand his signing in that moment. I4 s as if they lost site in what they had and went for a big splash event instead.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Rounding_Third said:

First, I preface by saying Grandal's a great catcher, one of the best, that's obvious.   But it seems the Sox catching valuation process has been a little odd the last 2 years.  Both Yermin & Collins had shown in MiLB that they were ready to compete for a job in 2020; both having very good 2019 O & D #'s,  Zack had his troubles in his 2019 call up but still deserved to be in the mix again.  McCann also had his breakout 2019.  So the 3 of them formed a pretty good trifecta with lots of potential & at the least, adequate. 

But instead the Sox do this kneejerk reaction and sign Grandal.  That was a real head scratcher for me at the time.  They basically thumbed their noses at all 3 of them. That $18m could have been spent much smarter by re-uping McCann for 2-3 years relatively cheaply and spending the rest elsewhere.  Then both Yermin and Zack would have had a much fairer chance to compete and prove if they were worthy.  All the while, the dropoff from Grandal/McCann to McCann/Collins/Yermin would not have been that impactful with an extra $12-13m spent elsewhere (after a McCann signing).   We had bigger needs elsewhere particularly with all the TJ's going on, and still do.  Even if they didn't spend it and hung on to it for this offseason, think of how they could have used it.  Like I said, I like Grandal but I'll never understand his signing in that moment. I4 s as if they lost site in what they had and went for a big splash event instead.

Who other than Grandal could they have signed for a similar AAV and projected WAR increase?

43 minutes ago, hi8is said:

Who other than Grandal could they have signed for a similar AAV and projected WAR increase?

Oh Idk, not going to go back and look, especially since we now know 2020 performances.  Just saying that C was not a weak position going into 2020 with lots of potential from 2019 performances.  When you look at 2019 McCann vs Grandal stats and 2020 $'s for both, I don't see how Grandal was ~$13m better. 

Edited by Rounding_Third

2 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

So your argument is that Yermin Mercedes is a once in a generation player, with just one major league AB and no defensive position.

Pass.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Rounding_Third said:

I think it's a lot easier to give young players playing time in a rebuild then it would've been to extend McCann. There's no way to know if he would've been open to it. Probably one 1 yr. of McCann doing well  wasn't enough to convince the Sox they should gamble on trying to resign him. They were also short on OBP and LH power. They needed a sure thing . Can't call it a knee jerk reaction. It was a sound decision based on the information at hand based on need and both player's careers up to that point.

EE wasn't a sure thing hence why I never liked the idea of getting him .His stats showed he was declining over several years. Sox thought he was more of a sure thing than Collins and Mercedes apparently and gave Welington Castillo all kinds of PA's and catching duties in the 2nd half of 2019. That should tell anyone with eyeballs how they felt about Collins  and Mercedes and 2020 just reinforced it if those eyeballs weren't sure in 2019.

I will never complain about money on Grandal because they needed what he provided at a cost that wasn't prohibitive. You can say it was prohibitive all you like when you look at how the Sox spend and how well McCann has done but they only had the one year to appraise McCann and then the off season to try to extend him or go for a player they truly needed more. Very tough call and made tougher if McCann wants his one shot at Free Agency.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

1 hour ago, southsider2k5 said:

So your argument is that Yermin Mercedes is a once in a generation player, with just one major league AB and no defensive position.

Pass.

Of course you would draw that conclusion when I told you I'm not pretending he is something he isn't and when I also said 9 out of 10 times players are exactly what they appear to be. A quick 1 liner for yucks that completely ignores everything I said. That's how people usually respond when a well thought out argument calls what they say ridiculous only I was polite enough to state my case unlike you.

The Road Not Taken

Two roads diverged in a yellow wood,
And sorry I could not travel both
And be one traveler, long I stood
And looked down one as far as I could
To where it bent in the undergrowth;

Then took the other, as just as fair,
And having perhaps the better claim,
Because it was grassy and wanted wear;
Though as for that the passing there
Had worn them really about the same,

And both that morning equally lay
In leaves no step had trodden black.
Oh, I kept the first for another day!
Yet knowing how way leads on to way,
I doubted if I should ever come back.

I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Of course you would draw that conclusion when I told you I'm not pretending he is something he isn't and when I also said 9 out of 10 times players are exactly what they appear to be. A quick 1 liner for yucks that completely ignores everything I said. That's how people usually respond when a well thought out argument calls what they say ridiculous only I was polite enough to state my case unlike you.

The Road Not Taken

Two roads diverged in a yellow wood,
And sorry I could not travel both
And be one traveler, long I stood
And looked down one as far as I could
To where it bent in the undergrowth;

Then took the other, as just as fair,
And having perhaps the better claim,
Because it was grassy and wanted wear;
Though as for that the passing there
Had worn them really about the same,

And both that morning equally lay
In leaves no step had trodden black.
Oh, I kept the first for another day!
Yet knowing how way leads on to way,
I doubted if I should ever come back.

I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.

So what are we having the discussion about?  A one in a thousand chance that he is special?  That's your point?  

Again we are talking about a 27 year old without a defensive position.  He is not an option at catcher.  That is 100% for sure.  He's also not going to be the DH because of Vaughn.  Despite all of that, the Sox have not traded him to someone else who wanted him more.  Why are we wasting time lamenting Yermin Mercedes then, and entertaining someone calling him Rick Hahn's biggest failure?

1 hour ago, southsider2k5 said:

So what are we having the discussion about?  A one in a thousand chance that he is special?  That's your point?  

Again we are talking about a 27 year old without a defensive position.  He is not an option at catcher.  That is 100% for sure.  He's also not going to be the DH because of Vaughn.  Despite all of that, the Sox have not traded him to someone else who wanted him more.  Why are we wasting time lamenting Yermin Mercedes then, and entertaining someone calling him Rick Hahn's biggest failure?

We are talking about when a team chooses to not spend and chooses to depend on luck then you better give the young guys a chance to prove they are worth something otherwise they are depreciating assets. When you depend on luck every move or non move you make can have consequences on a teams ultimate fate.

Vaughn wasn't ready in 2019, Vaughn wasn't ready in 2020. Collins and Mercedes should've got more opportunities. McCann got an opportunity and he ran with it. Sox went with Castillo many time in the 2nd half in a year that didn't matter. They went with EE in a year that didn't matter though it could have if those guys were given an opportunity and EE not signed. Who the heck was even DHing the 2nd half of 2019 for the Sox . Go look at the 2019 roster and see what scrubs from that team are still on the roster.

2019 they tried to luck into signing Machado by signing his friends. In 2016 they tried to luck into a declining pitcher who was a disaster with the Padres but hey they got a team to eat a bunch of money and lost a future superstar. All the Sox keep doing is trying to save money by paying for terrible veteran free agents when they have guys in the system who could DH or catch or even show some hitting ability who they could keep for 6 years or improve their worth.

Time after time it's more about the money than winning. It's more about spinning the roulette wheel. IF that's the strategy spin it on Collins and Mercedes when they could have. If they sucked fine you can finally say Collins is a bust or Mercedes is a AAAA player and move the fuck on. It's always the same road. Dangle that carrot for the fans and keep building the franchises worth and finishing 2nd.

Under Reinsdorf they always choose the same path.  They keep the fans involved by signing some Cubans who have worked out while hardly doing anything else with young players from the DR and trading away money. Yay the Sox now have a pitching coach everyone loves so let's not get any more pitching. Yay they have upgraded the analytics department from the damn Stone Age. Let's all be happy because we have a promising young team during Covid and labor strife. I can see where this is all leading . It's a disaster waiting to happen . The whole Mercedes /Collins thing is just a microcosm of bigger issues.

All I wanted to do was celebrate Mercedes birthday in a positive way. Now I'm ranting because I chose to be positive and you kick over my sandcastle. And yes it's still possible for me to be happy watching White Sox baseball while dumping on ownership.  Thank heaven I'm in So Cal where I won't be tempted to spend any money on them.

• Love 1

I don't even like thinking about the ugly underbelly of being a Sox fan. There's just so much you can bring up. They finally got lucky with McCann and he's a pending free agent who you weren't going to re-sign and had value. They could have traded him. Why didn't they ? Are they paralyzed from the neck up because someone will say White Flag again ?

Yolbert Sanchez and Yoelquis Cepedes signed. Sanchez was 22 when signed for $2.5M and is now 24 . Cespedes signed at 23 for $2M . 2 years later Sanchez hasn't even played in A ball yet. Oscar Colas will be 23 when the Sox sign him probably for upwards of $1M and people are thrilled about it thinking these guys will be in the lineup in a few years. Those aren't anything but hot takes.

Let's not draft High School Players who have an extra 3 or 4 years to develop compared College Jr's. and Sr's. Where is all our young talented SS's and CF,s ? Oh yea I forgot the one we finally got our GM got fleeced for him because teams target those kinds of guys while the Sox still don't. There are reasons why certain teams always seem to have a good influx of young talent that doesn't apply to how the Sox operate. The rest of baseball signs 16yr olds. The Sox sign 22 and 23 yr. olds in the same market.

Play Collins and Mercedes in 2019 maybe you have a good DH for 2020 or trade bait to the NL who had DH's in 2020. Now no DH in NL and Sox are stuck with 2 DH's who apparently they don't trust to be catchers or to DH. Go Sox.

Let's hire a manager who didn't want to manage. Let's hire another Manager with pending drunk driving charges hanging over him who hasn't Managed in 10 years and completely undermines the process our GM spat out in a News Conference.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

We are talking about when a team chooses to not spend and chooses to depend on luck then you better give the young guys a chance to prove they are worth something otherwise they are depreciating assets. When you depend on luck every move or non move you make can have consequences on a teams ultimate fate.

Vaughn wasn't ready in 2019, Vaughn wasn't ready in 2020. Collins and Mercedes should've got more opportunities. McCann got an opportunity and he ran with it. Sox went with Castillo many time in the 2nd half in a year that didn't matter. They went with EE in a year that didn't matter though it could have if those guys were given an opportunity and EE not signed. Who the heck was even DHing the 2nd half of 2019 for the Sox . Go look at the 2019 roster and see what scrubs from that team are still on the roster.

2019 they tried to luck into signing Machado by signing his friends. In 2016 they tried to luck into a declining pitcher who was a disaster with the Padres but hey they got a team to eat a bunch of money and lost a future superstar. All the Sox keep doing is trying to save money by paying for terrible veteran free agents when they have guys in the system who could DH or catch or even show some hitting ability who they could keep for 6 years or improve their worth.

Time after time it's more about the money than winning. It's more about spinning the roulette wheel. IF that's the strategy spin it on Collins and Mercedes when they could have. If they sucked fine you can finally say Collins is a bust or Mercedes is a AAAA player and move the fuck on. It's always the same road. Dangle that carrot for the fans and keep building the franchises worth and finishing 2nd.

Under Reinsdorf they always choose the same path.  They keep the fans involved by signing some Cubans who have worked out while hardly doing anything else with young players from the DR and trading away money. Yay the Sox now have a pitching coach everyone loves so let's not get any more pitching. Yay they have upgraded the analytics department from the damn Stone Age. Let's all be happy because we have a promising young team during Covid and labor strife. I can see where this is all leading . It's a disaster waiting to happen . The whole Mercedes /Collins thing is just a microcosm of bigger issues.

All I wanted to do was celebrate Mercedes birthday in a positive way. Now I'm ranting because I chose to be positive and you kick over my sandcastle. And yes it's still possible for me to be happy watching White Sox baseball while dumping on ownership.  Thank heaven I'm in So Cal where I won't be tempted to spend any money on them.

I see it more like this... The Sox had this hole and even with having every piece of statistical data on Yermin Mercedes, they still chose to play guys like AJ Reed and Matt Skole over him.  The Sox know more than anyone in baseball about Yermin, and still went out and found waiver wire garbage to start over him.  Even with the Sox decision making, no other team in baseball has been wiling to acquire Mercedes.  The odds are really, really, really high that 2+2=4 here, and he joins the scrap heap of 4A players who never could break though after putting up insane minor league hitting numbers.

2 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

I see it more like this... The Sox had this hole and even with having every piece of statistical data on Yermin Mercedes, they still chose to play guys like AJ Reed and Matt Skole over him.  The Sox know more than anyone in baseball about Yermin, and still went out and found waiver wire garbage to start over him.  Even with the Sox decision making, no other team in baseball has been wiling to acquire Mercedes.  The odds are really, really, really high that 2+2=4 here, and he joins the scrap heap of 4A players who never could break though after putting up insane minor league hitting numbers.

No team in baseball will give up a guy of value for a player whose team won't give him a shot at the big leagues even without being blocked. That doesn't mean no other team in baseball likes the guy, they might, they might not, their actions only say that no team thinks he's a likely enough star to jump on. What it means is that they know if the white sox won't play him, he'll be available on waivers eventually and they won't have to pay for him.

7 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

No team in baseball will give up a guy of value for a player whose team won't give him a shot at the big leagues even without being blocked. That doesn't mean no other team in baseball likes the guy, they might, they might not, their actions only say that no team thinks he's a likely enough star to jump on. What it means is that they know if the white sox won't play him, he'll be available on waivers eventually and they won't have to pay for him.

Chances aee you wouldn't have to give up very much to acquire him. If you think he is the second coming of Edgar Martinez, you probably would be willing to offer enough to make the White Sox say yes.

All the cult heroes over the years have proven why we post on message boards and don't run teams.

49 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

So if a team sees value in a player, they won't trade for him simply because the other team doesn't promote them, even if he is going to be the next superstar catcher in baseball, and only the White Sox management can't see it, and instead they are going to wait and hope they are the only team that feels that way about him once he hits waivers.  Makes sense.

19 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

So if a team sees value in a player, they won't trade for him simply because the other team doesn't promote them, even if he is going to be the next superstar catcher in baseball, and only the White Sox management can't see it, and instead they are going to wait and hope they are the only team that feels that way about him once he hits waivers.  Makes sense.

Interesting that you went with "Superstar catcher" rather than "decent DH or pinch hitter". 

Just now, Balta1701 said:

Interesting that you went with "Superstar catcher" rather than "decent DH or pinch hitter". 

That's what I keep getting told he is.  The fact that no one seems to want to acquire him goes to backing up what I have been saying all along in that he is most likely a 4A players and of no real value without a position.

Again, refer to the post which referred to not playing Yermin Mercedes as Rick Hahn's biggest mistake.

5 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

That's what I keep getting told he is.  The fact that no one seems to want to acquire him goes to backing up what I have been saying all along in that he is most likely a 4A players and of no real value without a position.

Again, refer to the post which referred to not playing Yermin Mercedes as Rick Hahn's biggest mistake.

Well, I did not see that, so you would be correct in targeting it.

13 minutes ago, Harry Chappas said:

My two cents on this...

Why do the White Sox keep him around and not give him an opportunity?

The guys they lost because they have kept him around are no great shakes but if you are going to keep him why not play him?  I do find it odd. 

I've wondered the same. He's positionless and never getting a shot here yet other guys who can pitch or play a position and used as depth are cut?