ELOY HURT! (3/25 Update: Torn Pectoral Tendon, Out 5-6 months))

Buehrle>Wood

40 minutes ago, Jerksticks said:

I’ve had this sneaking suspicion the last few months that Micker is super close to being ready if not ready.  But that’s based on hope and sneaking suspicion...which means jack.  But that would be super cool if Micker could rock it and then take over for Eaton next year

Pretty sure he was demoted to minor league camp like 2 weeks ago.  I like Micker and do think he has some untapped potential.  I am open to giving him a shot at some point this summer if the Engel/Leury situation isn't going well (he needs to be on MLB roster next season anyway or hes's gone), but I don't think he is ready quite yet.  

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, pcq said:

Vaughn and Zack make for an easy pivot. Give it a couple weeks and see.

See my post I wrote on Zack Collins earlier in this thread. It's time for Zack Collins to produce NOW! He's 26. So he's no longer a "young player on the rise." It's time for him to live up to the praises given to him by sabergeeks impressed by his OPS in the minors. Vaughn's still young so he might still have some growing pains. Hope he doesn't....but realistically he might. So I hope you're right about him "making for an easy pivot."

2 hours ago, BrianAnderson said:

I probably put too much time into this for no reason, but it's Friday and don't feel like working...

Obviously all the options that have kind of discussed previously ...

a) Vaughn to LF, Collins to DH, Leury fills in a bit more in the OF until Engel comes back. Not a great solution, but very viable in the short term. It gives Collins an extended look, Mendick can do the UTIL in the OF while Leury does more the OF. This puts a lot more pressure on the rest of the team & on guys like Collins and Vaughn not to stumble. It's anywhere between a band-aid and maybe an actual solution.

b) Billy Hamilton/Nick Williams - don't like this option. It's okay for a 10 game stretch, but not for an extended period. Engel is the other option, but again, I don't think that's even close to a solution either. Eaton and Robert are going to be injury risks and Engel is perfect in that role of 4OF that can play some extended IL stints, but not an everyday for the whole season.

c) FA route... in order of what I'd like: Nick Markakis - he recently retired, so not sure if he was keeping in shape. But he has always been a high OBP guy, can slot in around 6-8 in the lineup and just do a veterans job. He's perfect IMO, just don't know if there's interest. Cespedes - it's not a great sign that he put on his display and nobody signed him. Not sure if it was his expectations for a MLB contract or him not looking good. Kluber and many pitchers did the same type of workouts and signed days later. If his bat speed is down, then really you've got yourself nothing. Shit though, I'd sign him, get him on the field for a week of games and send him to the alternate site for 3 weeks. If it's working out then give him a cup of coffee to prove it, otherwise cut bait. Puig - don't really want him after reading that sexual allegation report ... not that im judging allegations ... but there are some allegations like "he grabbed my butt" and some like "he pinned me down and then jerked off" ... not trying to say there are ranges because victims are affected all the same, but god damn did that one sound super creepy and real and if true, that's like a weird way of deranged. there are things bigger than baseball - and don't feel like cheering for that guy even if he's fun to watch on the field. EE - I made the point earlier in the offseason that for the price he'd go at it may be worth exploring. this doesn't really fix much - it theoretically gives you a possible bounce back bat at DH at a low cost, but arguably you're just blocking Collins that likely can put up the same production and doesn't really fix LF - just puts Vaughn there permanently.  Josh Reddick? Just a body really. 

d) Trade: I feel like we've been connected to Polanco for a while & has a good spring. just 29 years old still. could be worse, plus PIrates would love to get money off the books. Could be an easy fix. Cost is a bit much... $11mm, $12.5mm team option. arguably Pirates could pick up maybe ... $3mm and we send back a Yermin type and were all happy. 1yr, 8mm. David Peralta? 1 year left, then arb year then free agent. Probably costs a bit more but is a real solution rather than a band-aid. Colorado has Sam Hilliard, Tapia, Garret Hampson and Blackmon. I'd lean towards the former ... Blackmon is just way too costly and old and propped by Coors. he was a disaster second half of last year and statcast looks bad, bad. $21mm, $20mm and $10mm still due ...... that's yikes. Even at $10, $10, $5mm I'd pass without having to return anything. career .263 hitter on the road. Tauchman - like that idea, not sure Yankees want to make us better. Oscar Mercado - not sure Indians want to give us a shot to buy low at a former prospect. Avi Garcia - not sure Brewers would cut bait, but guessing they'd be open to cutting salary. Likewsie Cain .. but he's old and expensive. Grichuk ... Toronto outfield is a bit crowded, but don't see them trading their depth when trying to contend and to a contender. 

e) ST Cuts: this is open to interpretation for now ... but I'd have to guess guys like Marisnick or Maybin (Cubs guys) ... guys of that caliber are cut. Are they sexy? no. Are they basically another adam engel? yes. Joc Pederson woulda been nice in retrospect. Eddie Rosario too. sad face. Jay Bruce. 

Leaning towards Cain...

1 hour ago, ptatc said:

Ok. so it depends on the company you want to use. Baseball reference said 2.8. So take the average of all of it even if he has the great improvement on the high end of the prediction and it's 3.5-4. 

Either way, I’m thinking most people aren’t considering Eloy’s production at age 22 representative of his expected future production

1 hour ago, hi8is said:

Once again... Anthony Santander... please, thank you.

If we’re going to make a trade he should be the A1 target.

What do you reckon it would take? Seems to me that he, Mountcastle and Rutschman make for a pretty good core of mid order bats to build around. I wouldn’t think the O’s would exactly be dying to get him off their hands.

23 minutes ago, Vulture said:

What do you reckon it would take? Seems to me that he, Mountcastle and Rutschman make for a pretty good core of mid order bats to build around. I wouldn’t think the O’s would exactly be dying to get him off their hands.

No clue really but I would imagine they’d like some nice young arms... ala Kelly.

3 hours ago, manbearpuig said:

When's the earliest a team can trade someone they just signed?

I think this is the relevant section from the CBA:

(a) Any Club signing a contract with a Player under this Article XX(B) after the expiration of the Quiet Period described in subsection 2(b) above may not assign his contract until after the next June 15. However, notwithstanding the foregoing, such contract may be assigned for other Player contracts and/or cash consideration of $50,000 or less prior to the next June 16 if the Player gives written consent to such transaction.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Vulture said:

I don’t think a trade is considered a contract assignment considering trading is a way to bypass assignment rules in dfa/waivers process

They don’t use the word “trade” in the CBA, if you read the passage above: “such contract may be assigned for other Player contracts and/or cash consideration” that’s referring to a trade.  

31 minutes ago, RCWHITESOX said:

I believe if they could obtain Haniger it would be terrific!

Yeah. Great. But what would we have to give up? They'd have to accept nothing but minor leaguers. Would they be willing to accept that? I've heard they wanted Cease AND Kopech for him!!! That suggestion is beyond asinine!!!