The TLR Manager Thread

chitownsportsfan

Just now, Kyyle23 said:

Can I interrupt your Tony crusade for a minute and ask you to start your game thread so we can all talk about something less stressful 

I'm waiting for the Sox to wake up Tony to post starting lineup staring Jake Lamb, will create it soon if he doesn't wake up by 3.

1 minute ago, South Side Hit Men said:

I'm waiting for the Sox to wake up Tony to post starting lineup staring Jake Lamb, will create it soon if he doesn't wake up by 3.

I agree with you Tony is horrible, but your claim Ricky was better and should still be the manager is just crazy and dumb. They both suck. We needed and deserve to have a great manager this year. Btw why does it take TLR so long to make a lineup every single game?

4 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Child please, I countered your weak ass factually devoid posts.

Please quit this nonsense as you haven't come close to countering my original post. You cant seem to keep a straight train of thought on here. You keep adding new points which had nothing to do with my original post. You claimed Ricky had a better record with less talent. I only explained accurately to you, that the only reason that was true was because many of the key core players were having a better season through 32 games last year than this year. Plain and simple and that cant be denied. Once again this is not about this year's team being better than last year which it is. This is not about Ricky is better for us than Tony, he isn't...they both suck! I was just explaining to you why a horrible manager like Ricky had a one game better record than this year's squad through 32 games. 

39 minutes ago, "The Kids Can Play" said:

I agree with you Tony is horrible, but your claim Ricky was better and should still be the manager is just crazy and dumb. They both suck. We needed and deserve to have a great manager this year. Btw why does it take TLR so long to make a lineup every single game?

I simply stated Ricky had a better record with less talent, vs. 2021's team with better run differential, without your cherry picking of this guy or that guy with you BS responses. You continue to lie and make up shit. Go through this thread, where am I stating this? I have multiple responses to you and not once stated this.

Quote it or be an adult and apologize, or just move on.

Edited by South Side Hit Men

I wish we could all agree that Tony getting that DUI is despicable, but so far this season he deserves a B for his work as manager. Some of you think his lineups suck and his use of the bullpen sucks.

His lineup lost Eloy and Robert (you make a great lineup with what's left). Would he get a B from some of you if Grandal batted 9th? Cmon. That's not realistic despite the .120. And the bullpen? Cmon. When guys go 5 innings you are going to have a hodgepodge "mess" the rest of the game. Some nights the relievers do OK, others guys like Marshall and Bummer look like minor leaguers. Hamilton is on the team. Is that Tony's fault? Maybe, but I'd say not. Hahn is here too offering contracts.

Cmon folks, Tony has a lot of work to do socially to make up for the DUI mess. As a manager this year, cmon he gets a B from me. What would you all give him? D? That's silly.

Edited by greg775
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, South Side Hit Men said:

I simply stated Ricky had a better record with less talent, as their run differential, without your cherry picking of this guy or that guy with you BS responses. You continue to lie and make up shit. Go through this thread, where am I stating this? I have multiple responses to you and not once stated this.

Quote it or be an adult and apologize, or just move on.

I made up nothing and I have no need or desire to apologize to you. It's actually the other way around and you should be apologizing to me. I simply told you that the reason through 32 games the Sox had a better record than this year's team through 32 games is simple. Several of the core players were having a better season last year than this year though 32 games. I am not making that up. Go checks the facts though 32 games. These are factual published White Sox stats. I am not sure at this point why you don't get this. I am agreeing with you Ricky had a better record with less talent. However it's only because certain key players were having better years than they are this year...which made up for so called lesser talent. Why don't you get that? 

2020                 2021
Anderson   .337/.378/.620    .296/.324/.449
Jimenez     .322/.352/.652        OUT
Grandal      241/.356/.422    .113/.378/.242
Abreu         .318/.362/.667    .220/.317/.415
Moncada    .261/.338/.443    .261/.362/.387    
Robert        .284/.331/.569       OUT until 2 weeks ago 316/.359/.465

• Like 1

1 hour ago, "The Kids Can Play" said:

What is your point? Do you know more than the rest of us and LaRussa is a good manager and we are all clueless and misinformed? We have an incredibly talented team here and a small window where we could win a few world series championships. The players and fans do not deserve TLR as the manager. For those of you who continue to rationalize and defend him is just nonsense. and strictly you enjoying being a contrarian. One simple question for you and all the other TLR defenders on this forum: If Jerry R wasn't the owner of the Sox, would TLR be the 2021 White Sox manager?  

My point is simple.  The TLR haters were TLR haters before the Sox hired him.  And they are now using routine managerial decisions, ones that all managers get wrong sometimes, to crucify him.  The main criticisms of TLR can be easily made of any manager in baseball as they make hundreds of decisions a week and a few will be questionable.  Not knowing the extra inning rule was inexcusable and embarassing but had no effect on the game.   I would be curious to know how many AL managers knew that rule before this (maybe all, but I doubt it). I look at his lineups occasionally and think "WTF", but do that with other teams as well.  This isn't the NFL where you play your best lineup every game because you only have 17 games.  If TLR sucks for the reasons I hear stated most often, all 30 managers suck, because they all do the same stuff.  I'd even be willing to bet a few have some legal matters behind them that Passan never bothered to dig up as well.

And no, TLR wouldn't be the Sox manager if JR wasn't the owner.  He wouldn't have any reason to want the job, and I doubt anyone would have even thought to ask.  I was shocked when his name popped up.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, greg775 said:

I wish we could all agree that Tony getting that DUI is despicable, but so far this season he deserves a B for his work as manager. Some of you think his lineups suck and his use of the bullpen sucks.

His lineup lost Eloy and Robert (you make a great lineup with what's left). Would he get a B from some of you if Grandal batted 9th? Cmon. That's not realistic despite the .120. And the bullpen? Cmon. When guys go 5 innings you are going to have a hodgepodge "mess" the rest of the game. Some nights the relievers do OK, others guys like Marshall and Bummer look like minor leaguers. Hamilton is on the team. Is that Tony's fault? Maybe, but I'd say not. Hahn is here too offering contracts.

Cmon folks, Tony has a lot of work to do socially to make up for the DUI mess. As a manager this year, cmon he gets a B from me. What would you all give him? D? That's silly.

We have a A team so why do they deserve a B manager...which he isn't btw. 

I was cautiously optimistic that Tony would be a better in-game manager than Ricky.  He hasn’t been.  You can’t say not knowing the rules didn’t make a difference, as he even said he managed that inning differently.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, fathom said:

I was cautiously optimistic that Tony would be a better in-game manager than Ricky.  He hasn’t been.  You can’t say not knowing the rules didn’t make a difference, as he even said he managed that inning differently.

He said in his presser that he told Hendricks "Don't take any chances, no sliding, just play it safe" 

It still doesn't explain the Garcia SB at all in the same inning, but I would tend to guess that if you had an "actual" baserunner at 3rd, Tony may have called for the squeeze with Hamilton at the dish. Instead Garcia got the steal sign (?!?!?!), thrown out, now Hendricks is sitting on 3rd with two outs and Hamilton at the plate. 

It's absolutely a big deal, but you have a few groups on here that just don't want to get into it. The LaRussa Loyalists, the Positivity Police and the "I don't really watch the games but I'm going to give my opinion anyway!" crowd. 

9Oa8sQe.gif

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Child please, I countered your weak ass factually devoid posts.

19 minutes ago, "The Kids Can Play" said:

I made up nothing and I have no need or desire to apologize to you. 

I gave you an opportunity to either apologize for lying, quote my post, or just move on. You stated I "claimed Ricky should still be manager".

Baby's been lying.

44 minutes ago, "The Kids Can Play" said:

We have a A team so why do they deserve a B manager...which he isn't btw. 

The Sox do not have an A team at this point. Far from it. The pitching staff is not A. the lineup is not A right now minus the two studs. I don't think anybody will agree with you the Sox have an A team.

Edited by greg775
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, VAfan said:

So now you attempt to come off as smarter than me?  It's these comments like "I'l try and make it simple for you."  And "if you can't deal with that, I can't help you."  Complete and total unnecessary crap.  

So many critics focus on things and claim they are "mistakes" when what they are are judgment calls. As I mentioned above, a judgment call is not necessarily a "mistake" and the alternative option wouldn't have necessarily worked out any better. 

What was a mistake, and was admitted to be one by TLR, was not knowing the rule about being able to substitute a runner for a pitcher in the 10th inning. But that was a new rule that many people might have missed, including the rest of the Sox coaching staff. It was also a mistake to leave in Foster too long in that one game, and Giolito against the Tigers when he was tiring. But none of those mistakes necessarily cost the Sox the game, even though they lost all 3.  

Meanwhile, do any of TLR's critics give him credit for anything he's done?  He uses his entire club, for one. He's brought Vaughn along pretty well, letting him watch and learn while he eased him into the lineup. The Sox had Yermin Mercedes last year, but only TLR has used him. He put Danny Mendick in RF, and was quick to embrace Vaughn being able to play LF. There is zero evidence of any dissension in the clubhouse. He's been endorsed by all of the leaders of the team. The team is winning games and scoring runs near the top of the AL yet is last in HRs. Strikeouts are down; walks are up.  The Sox have been in nearly every game.  

I don't think TLR is perfect, by any means. I expect TLR would give himself a middling grade so far on parts of his performance. But he's done pretty well overall, and has not let the loss of Jimenez and Robert derail the team at all.  

1. The narrative that he's brought Vaughn on well is complete nonsense; Vaughn's numbers were as good after 6 games as they are today. Vaughn needed reps, this is baseball. Reps are what make you improve. You can't take "notes" about how to hit a curveball. Vaughn's approach never faltered yet he was on the bench for complete bums.

2. Yermin Mercedes was NOT on the White Sox last year so how the FFF could Ricky Renteria have played him? Managers don't make the rosters, they make the lineup. LaRussa is playing Yermin because the Sox lost their star OF'er and he was forced onto the roster. Even you could pencil Yermin into the lineup after he had an all-time historical hot start.

3. Danny Mendick has literally played like 1 game in RF because - again - the Sox have 1000 injuries and he was forced out there.

4. He didn't embrace Vaughn at all, he has no choice but to play him. He still continues to let terrible hitters hit late in games with much better hitters on the bench. If Hamilton is Vaughn's Designated Fielder late in games when defense matters, why the heck is Collins or Vaughn not Leury/Hamilton's designated hitter late in games when offense matters?

5. National reporters have reported dissension yet you bury your head in the sand and say "there is zero evidence."

I am still, after 50 pages, waiting for something GOOD Tony LaRussa has done for this team.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 3

43 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

I gave you an opportunity to either apologize for lying, quote my post, or just move on. You stated I "claimed Ricky should still be manager".

Baby's been lying.

I'm done with you! You are absolutely clueless. I have no time to go back and paste all your insanely ignorant statements. Arguing with you is like arguing with a grade school kid. In the future you should make sure you check your facts before throwing out all type of non factual statements you cant back up. 

1 hour ago, greg775 said:

The Sox do not have an A team at this point. Far from it. The pitching staff is not A. the lineup is not A right now minus the two studs. I don't think anybody will agree with you the Sox have an A team.

Wow, not sure how you grade teams and pitching staffs. Not a A team and far from it?

The Sox starting rotation ERA is #1 in MLB. The Sox entire pitching staff ERA is # 1 in the AL and #3 in MLB. With 30 teams in MLB,, how is our pitching staff not an A. 

As far as the hitting goes, the Sox are #4 in BA, #2 in OBP in MLB and #1 in AL OBP. They are #3 in runs scored per game in MLB and #2 in AL.

You don't think anybody will agree with me. Maybe they all won't agree, but your claim "far from it" grade which I'm assuming you are calling them a C team, I seriously doubt that. 

Btw, multiple sites have the Sox as #1 in power rankings. That doesn't deserve an A? I guess there aren't any A teams in the MLB according to you. 

What is puzzling to me is why you give TLR a B and yet most people here probably think TLR deserves a C or D grade thus far. Yet for one the best teams arguably in baseball they are a B or C team.  

Edited by "The Kids Can Play"
  • Thanks 1

Wow, not sure how you grade teams and pitching staffs. Not a A team and far from it?

The Sox starting rotation ERA is #1 in MLB. The Sox entire pitching staff ERA is # 1 in the AL and #3 in MLB. With 30 teams in MLB,, how is our pitching staff not an A. 

As far as the hitting goes, the Sox are #4 in BA, #2 in OBP in MLB and #1 in AL OBP. They are #3 in runs scored per game in MLB and #2 in AL.

You don't think anybody will agree with me. Maybe they all won't agree, but your claim "far from it" grade which I'm assuming you are calling them a C team, I seriously doubt that. 

Btw, multiple sites have the Sox as #1 in power rankings. That doesn't deserve an A? I guess there aren't any A teams in the MLB according to you. 

What is puzzling to me is why you give TLR a B and yet most people here probably think TLR deserves a C or D grade thus far. Yet for one the best teams arguably in baseball they are a B or C team.  

Don't get worked up, Kids. It's just my opinion. I know Sox are up near the top of some statistical categories, which is great. But my assessment of the team stands at a B. Cmon. Eloy and Robert has hurt the lineup no matter what the stats say. Pitching at this time looks very good I'll give u that. To sum up, I give the team a B so far; and Tony a B.

• Haha 1

One thing that has kept Sox fans excited through the years is comparing poor with worse. The 2021 TLR is not HoF worthy. Renteria had a lifetime sub .500 record. To be fair to both those guys,  Ricky was only trusted by organizations with sub par teams and Tony was wearing black before and after he was great. It's amusing to debate who sucked worst than the other but in the end I can't debate who was *better* with a straight face. 

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, greg775 said:

Don't get worked up, Kids. It's just my opinion. I know Sox are up near the top of some statistical categories, which is great. But my assessment of the team stands at a B. Cmon. Eloy and Robert has hurt the lineup no matter what the stats say. Pitching at this time looks very good I'll give u that. To sum up, I give the team a B so far; and Tony a B.

Is there any way I can convince you to bump this up to a B+? 

1 hour ago, greg775 said:

Not worked up just confused. How the Sox are only a B relative to the rest of the league is I guess a debate, based on you using a tough grading scale. However you lose your creditability when you give TLR a B when he clearly isn't even close to a B.

3 minutes ago, "The Kids Can Play" said:

Not worked up just confused. How the Sox are only a B relative to the rest of the league is I guess a debate, based on you using a tough grading scale. However you lose your creditability when you give TLR a B when he clearly isn't even close to a B.

I think a B is a pretty good grade. Let's see what happens the rest of May. Sox had a very nice series in KC last weekend. I'm not against the Sox or anything. I'm not doing handstands yet. I'm happy. I'm definitely not burying Tony and I'm not showering trophies on him, yet. But yes, I'm still concerned about the DUI. Can't forget that quickly. 

Edited by greg775

1 minute ago, greg775 said:

I think a B is a pretty good grade. Let's see what happens the rest of May. Sox had a very nice series in KC last weekend. I'm not against the Sox or anything. I'm not doing handstands yet. I'm happy. I'm definitely not burying Tony, but yes, I'm still concerned about the DUI. Can't forget that quickly. 

I guess we will have to agree to disagree. B is a good grade but when you are one the best teams you should be getting an A. It doesn't matter about let's wait until the rest of May to play out, as it's based on today though 32 games and through 32 games they have earned an A in my book. when June starts we can give them a new grade as well as Tony too.