Trade Deadline Thread

KrankinSox

8 minutes ago, bmags said:

Dude we have Jake Burger playing 2B of course Trevor story can

I really think the Sox should talk to the Rockies in the last days of July and see where they are at on Story. All the good teams have good shortstops except Oakland. With such a limited market, the Sox should at least try to clear the bar to give the Rockies more than what they would value a comp pick at. Plus the Rockies would save whatever remainder of Story's contract is left ($5M or so). A team ran by ownership (no leadership in front office right now I believe) may find the additional cash savings + a diversified package more enticing than one comp pick. 

Edited by raBBit
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, raBBit said:

I really think the Sox should talk to the Rockies in the last days of July and see where they are at on Story. All the good teams have good shortstops except Oakland. With such a limited market, the Sox should at least try to clear the bar to give the Rockies more than what they would value a comp pick at. Plus the Rockies would save whatever remainder of Story's contract is left ($5M or so). A team ran by ownership (no leadership in front office right now I believe) may find the additional cash savings + a diversified package more enticing than one comp pick. 

Honestly, that should be standard operating procedure, but who knows with how little $$$ the brass wants to spend :(.

Adding a guy like Story for a minimal cost like that for 3 months should be an absolute no brainer for a team destined for the playoffs. Gotta think the financials will work itself out with a deep playoff run reward.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ChiSoxJon said:

This team really doesn't have to do much IMO, especially as they get healthier

This team has excellent depth

Outside of Escabor and maybe a bullpen arm, i don't see much happening

I give you a good chance of being right. The  Sox don't often think big especially when they are still PT Barnuming us the future.

They could think a little bigger since they have quite a few pitchers on pitching limits and will lose Rodon and Lynn to free agency next year.

They could go after Gallo and Kyle Gibson with the Rangers. Both have contracts that include 2022 and the Sox will need another starting pitcher for 2022 and a LH starting RFer. Then they could include Ian Kennedy for the bullpen who is a FA after the year.

Sox can't keep giving up prospects for rentals . A least looking to the future for 1 more year would be good. Texas supposedly asked a lot for Lynn last year. They could do the same for Gallo and Gibson  and hold onto them. But it is something the Sox should be giving serious thought.

I also like the idea of taking Gibson off the market for any team to grab. 3 players would mean TX would ask for a bundle like Kopech and more so it would be tough to pull off  but 2 yrs apiece from Gallo and Gibson might be worth it.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

2 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I give you a good chance of being right. The  Sox don't often think big especially when they are still PT Barnuming us the future.

They could think a little bigger since they have quite a few pitchers on pitching limits and will lose Rodon and Lynn to free agency next year.

They could go after Gallo and Kyle Gibson with the Rangers. Both have contracts that include 2022 and the Sox will need another starting pitcher for 2022 and a LH starting RFer. Then they could include Ian Kennedy for the bullpen who is a FA after the year.

Sox can't keep giving up prospects for rentals . A least looking to the future for 1 more year would be good. Texas supposedly asked a lot for Lynn last year. They could do the same for Gallo and Gibson  and hold onto them. But it is something the Sox should be giving serious thought.

I also like the idea of taking Gibson off the market for any team to grab. 3 players would mean TX would ask for a bundle like Kopech and more so it would be tough to pull off  but 2 yrs apiece from Gallo and Gibson might be worth it.

How much of Gibson’s success is attributable to spin rates?

Cost of pitching talent at the deadline the last 4-5 years considerably higher than even premium positional guys like Machado or Betts, let alone some of the names that are bring connected with the White Sox.

2 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

How much of Gibson’s success is attributable to spin rates?

Cost of pitching talent at the deadline the last 4-5 years considerably higher than even premium positional guys like Machado or Betts, let alone some of the names that are bring connected with the White Sox.

Probably have to ask @chw42. He's one of those guys who throws 6 pitches and gets a lot of chases, Mainly sinker, slider, changeup ,cutter.

Would cost a bunch just because Gallo is hot and Gibson is having a career year. I think they are more likely to move Gibson because they may not want to risk him falling off next year.  Getting both + Kennedy at TX. asking price is probably more then the Sox would be willing to pay. But for one stop shopping that helps this year and next year those 3 would be very good.

8 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Probably have to ask @chw42. He's one of those guys who throws 6 pitches and gets a lot of chases, Mainly sinker, slider, changeup ,cutter.

Would cost a bunch just because Gallo is hot and Gibson is having a career year. I think they are more likely to move Gibson because they may not want to risk him falling off next year.  Getting both + Kennedy at TX. asking price is probably more then the Sox would be willing to pay. But for one stop shopping that helps this year and next year those 3 would be very good.

I guess I'm the spinrate guy around here now.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, chw42 said:

How quickly does Savant usually update the game by game charts post game?  Some of my Twins buddies were talking shit to me about Giolito the other day and I CANNOT WAIT to provide them Berrios chart.  

Just now, ChiSox59 said:

How quickly does Savant usually update the game by game charts post game?  Some of my Twins buddies were talking shit to me about Giolito the other day and I CANNOT WAIT to provide them Berrios chart.  

Literally after every batter. It's amazing. Probably the best site to have your second monitor or phone while watching the game. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Yeah, just noticed he’s already at 20 homers and 46 RBI’s after doing nothing early in the season.

Kennedy alone is most likely scenario.

Just now, chw42 said:

Literally after every batter. It's amazing. Probably the best site to have your second monitor or phone while watching the game. 

No I know they do that, but when you do the game by game analysis that shows the steep drop-off for Giolito the last 2 starts, I want to do the same for Berrios.  But its still showing June 24th as his latest start.  

Maybe there is another way to comp today's spin rates with Berrios season to-date, but I haven't figured it out yet. 

1 minute ago, ChiSox59 said:

No I know they do that, but when you do the game by game analysis that shows the steep drop-off for Giolito the last 2 starts, I want to do the same for Berrios.  But its still showing June 24th as his latest start.  

Maybe there is another way to comp today's spin rates with Berrios season to-date, but I haven't figured it out yet. 

Oh you need to go into the today's game and go to the player breakdown section. It'll show the spinrate changes compared to the yearly average. 

Screenshot_20210701-170751_Brave.jpg

Edited by chw42
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, chw42 said:

Better than being known as the guy who hates Vaughn when I actually don't . I'm still getting punked by someone who takes great pleasure in giving me laughing emojis on stuff I say. I'm pretty sure I know who it is but just watch I'll get like 2 laughing emoji's just for bringing it up again. But I'm fine with them . More points !

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

7) The White Sox will trade for Adam Frazier.
And replace one vertically challenged, contact-oriented second baseman with another.

Losing Nick Madrigal on the heels of having already lost Eloy Jiménez and Luis Robert (among others in the lineup) to injuries was a huge blow to a White Sox team that, if healthy, would be a good bet to win the AL pennant. But while Jiménez and Robert are expected back before season’s end, the same can’t be said of Madrigal. All the injuries have caught up to Chicago in recent days, and this team cannot let its opportunity in the AL Central slip away.

Frazier is having a career year, comes with an additional season of arbitration control and has enough outfield experience to offer flexibility when Madrigal returns next year. Plus, his lefty bat gives the Sox some needed balance.

https://www.mlb.com/news/bold-mlb-predictions-for-july?partnerId=zh-20210701-432379-MLB-1-A&qid=1026&utm_id=zh-20210701-432379-MLB-1-A&bt_ee=cT54QTD4AGaETe5MtF9AA25bDjkMnbvjTOHurcaKjc4Y7238CsUuansy1AdTnZ6N&bt_ts=1625150932455

Also predicting S.Marte to the Yankees, possibly with an extension involved…

I think you might just be right.  Frazier would be a hugh get IMO.

Not Steve Cishek, he who never met an exclamation point he didn't love, said that the Sox will certainly be making a move.  He proclaimed the worst case scenario is a position player and bullpen help while the best case scenario is "beyond our wildest dreams".  I can't for the life of me think of a move that would fit that description.  To me, the biggest, least expected move would be Haniger.

Any thoughts on a move so big Sox fans would shit their pants?

58 minutes ago, hogan873 said:

Not Steve Cishek, he who never met an exclamation point he didn't love, said that the Sox will certainly be making a move.  He proclaimed the worst case scenario is a position player and bullpen help while the best case scenario is "beyond our wildest dreams".  I can't for the life of me think of a move that would fit that description.  To me, the biggest, least expected move would be Haniger.

I mean, the “beyond our wildest dreams” move would be Harper.  At least offensively there is no better fit for this lineup.  Obviously it’s never going to happen though.

1 hour ago, hogan873 said:

Dallas Keuchel for Fernando Tatis Jr.

Really going out on a limb there huh.

• Haha 1

Maybe it's just me but I don't believe a word this guy says. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I mean, the “beyond our wildest dreams” move would be Harper.  At least offensively there is no better fit for this lineup.  Obviously it’s never going to happen though.

I agree.  I wonder what all the money owed does to the prospect package needed.