Trevor Story

soxfan49

if money was no issue for JR then a trade for Blackmon where you take on salary and get story for free would be a nice get. But that's not our world. In that world we'd resign Lynn and/or Rodon too and have too much depth next year. 

1 minute ago, BrianAnderson said:

if money was no issue for JR then a trade for Blackmon where you take on salary and get story for free would be a nice get. But that's not our world. In that world we'd resign Lynn and/or Rodon too and have too much depth next year. 

We legitimately, especially with his terrible season, could likely sign Michael Conforto to a 3 year deal for the amount of money Blackmon is owed as of the trade deadline.  It makes no sense for a 3 month rental of a player we're going to have shift to a position he's never played anyway.  

Conforto will certainly have a market, but he's definitely hurt his bank account this season.  Really hoping he's our RF next season.  

4 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

We legitimately, especially with his terrible season, could likely sign Michael Conforto to a 3 year deal for the amount of money Blackmon is owed as of the trade deadline.  It makes no sense for a 3 month rental of a player we're going to have shift to a position he's never played anyway.  

Conforto will certainly have a market, but he's definitely hurt his bank account this season.  Really hoping he's our RF next season.  

Blackmon is definitely not worth his contract and Rox would need to eat at least half of it....but Conforto SUCKS this year. 84 OPS+ and every single stat of his is worse than Blackmon. I certainly am not NOT hoping Conforto is our RF next season under any circumstance. In fact..I hope both of them are nowhere near this team at expected prices. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, EloyJenkins said:

Blackmon is definitely not worth his contract and Rox would need to eat at least half of it....but Conforto SUCKS this year. 84 OPS+ and every single stat of his is worse than Blackmon. I certainly am not NOT hoping Conforto is our RF next season under any circumstance. In fact..I hope both of them are nowhere near this team at expected prices. 

lol.  Conforto has a very solid track record as a 3.5-4 WAR player.  Lifetime wRC+ and OPS+ of 125 in the league.  He's a very good player, he bats LH, good OBP.  He's a great fit for this club. 

I don't know exactly what is going on with him this season, but before the 2021 season he was looking at $100M+ deal.  His price tag has certainly gone down in 21 due to his performance to date, but he's by far the best FA fit for the Sox in RF.  If he returns to what he has always done, he is going to make a team very very very happy and create a ton of value. Who would you suggest is a better FA option?  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

lol.  Conforto has a very solid track record as a 3.5-4 WAR player.  Lifetime wRC+ and OPS+ of 125 in the league.  He's a very good player, he bats LH, good OBP.  He's a great fit for this club. 

I don't know exactly what is going on with him this season, but before the 2021 season he was looking at $100M+ deal.  His price tag has certainly gone down in 21 due to his performance to date, but he's by far the best FA fit for the Sox in RF.  If he returns to what he has always done, he is going to make a team very very very happy and create a ton of value. Who would you suggest is a better FA option?  

Would much rather trade Gallo and have him for THIS years championship run and next year. This gives flexibility to see if Cespedes or Colas could be ready 2023. Conforto has a great track record...but he is also at that age where sometimes things just fall apart. I don't think a long term RF FA is wise with all the money raises coming. If they were gonna do that, Springer last offseason was the move. They didn't, time to move on and find a shorter term solution.

1 minute ago, EloyJenkins said:

Would much rather trade Gallo and have him for THIS years championship run and next year. This gives flexibility to see if Cespedes or Colas could be ready 2023. Conforto has a great track record...but he is also at that age where sometimes things just fall apart. I don't think a long term RF FA is wise with all the money raises coming. If they were gonna do that, Springer last offseason was the move. They didn't, time to move on and find a shorter term solution.

I disagree, but its a fair take.  Springer would have been nice, but he wasn't a perfect fit by any means.  Conforto will also require significantly less financial commitment at htis point.  This lineup needs balance.  Not go get all Lillian, but we need a LH bat that isn't allergic to the walk in RF.  This team remains very right handed heavy and free swinging outside of 2 players.  Gallo would work too, but I personally would balk at what it would require.  I don't even know if a Crochet + Burger + Thompson/Dalquist/Kelley gets it done.  Its very possible we don't have the bullets to get Gallo without subtracting more than Crochet from the MLB team.  I personally don't even want to move Crochet for him.  

Also, I am not penciling Cespedes or Colas into anything.  Neither are that highly regarded around the league.  If one of them turns into an everyday regular in the OF, great.  But I don't think anyone should be counting on that.  

i dont disagree on blackmon at all... its a bit shortsighted to take on a guy like him. That said, he's due what? maybe $6/7mm this year, $21mm next year and $10mm the following? He's likely Adam Eaton by that last year ... I'd be okay taking on approximately $6mm each of the next 3 years if it got us Story for free. Not sure that's in the cards for the Rockies anyways - they have to save some face and sometimes it's good to have a familiar franchise face on the team through a downturn, even at $20mm a year. It might be worse to have to pay for his contract, arenado's and give away story for nothing to save a few (lots of) bucks. 

blackmon at 3/$18mm seems fair enough to me. downside? his power has fallen off the table. 10 homers over the last 143 games compared to 32 homers 140 games in 2019. He also doesn't bring any speed to the team. Doubles are down. Really, actually the more i type this the more i don't even want to give him 3/18mm haha. Not the worst at that price, but there's obviously some issue taking on that much salary/roster spot. 

Maybe something like: 

$6mm (or whatever this year pro-rated salary is) - take that fully on. 

$12mm next year - Sox take on. $11mm to the Rox

$10mm player option- $8mm taken care of by Rox, $2mm by Sox. 

So it's really like signing Blackmon to a 1/12mm free agent year deal next year w $2mm buyout.... and you get him the year following for free/free to walk away at basically no cost. 

that was all flow of thought there ... so may still need to be worked out, but in theory as i typed through it I went back and forth on if that's a fair deal for all parties and couldn't decide - which generalyl means its a fair deal - when both teams win and lose. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

Conforto would be incredible!

He's been injured this year and he should pick it back up after the all-star break.

I'm also on the Gallo train, if possible! Would have no problem shipping Crochet ++ for Gallo!

4 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

He'll make a ton of sense. I am for upgrading 2B and waiting to the offseason to figure out RF.

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, iWiN4PreP said:

Conforto would be incredible!

He's been injured this year and he should pick it back up after the all-star break.

I'm also on the Gallo train, if possible! Would have no problem shipping Crochet ++ for Gallo!

I would have a problem with it, but got to give to get.  The Sox lineup is mostly set for the foreseeable future.  I'd MUCH rather see them open the pocketbook for RF than shorten the window by trading away a key piece like Crochet.   

Anderson SS, Moncada 3B, Abreu 1B, Eloy DH, Robert CF, Conforto RF, Grandal C, Vaughn LF, Madrigal 2B is the stuff dreams are made of.  My god almighty. 

Edited by ChiSox59

1 hour ago, raBBit said:

He'll make a ton of sense. I am for upgrading 2B and waiting to the offseason to figure out RF.

It might already be figured out with Cespedes...what do you think?

1 hour ago, raBBit said:

Yep...second base and a couple of good relief pitchers would satisfy my humble needs.

6 minutes ago, DannyWright said:

Cespedes is in A-ball right? How could he be an option for next year.

I could however see Colas being an option

Cespedes COULD be a quick mover based on  his history in Cuba.  Obviously that remains to be seen, but I sure wouldn't let him stop me from bringing in a long term RF if it was the right guy.

58 minutes ago, wegner said:

It might already be figured out with Cespedes...what do you think?

He is still a ways away. He looks very promising but I wouldn't neglect the RF position this offseason to keep him open necessarily. They need a LH bat in the everyday lineup. Conforto fit is too perfect. Especially with a buy low opportuninty.

48 minutes ago, poppysox said:

Yep...second base and a couple of good relief pitchers would satisfy my humble needs.

I would agree but I don't know how they go about rostering two additional relief arms (40 man). I think they'll acquire one though. Bummer will come back. Heuer will continue to bounce back. I don't think the pen is bad enough to risk them losing the division. With additional rest in the playoffs, Sox should be okay with Hendriks, Bummer, Kopech, Heuer, Crochet and the acquired arm. 

• Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, raBBit said:

He is still a ways away. He looks very promising but I wouldn't neglect the RF position this offseason to keep him open necessarily. They need a LH bat in the everyday lineup. Conforto fit is too perfect. Especially with a buy low opportuninty.

I would agree but I don't know how they go about rostering two additional relief arms (40 man). I think they'll acquire one though. Bummer will come back. Heuer will continue to bounce back. I don't think the pen is bad enough to risk them losing the division. With additional rest in the playoffs, Sox should be okay with Hendriks, Bummer, Kopech, Heuer, Crochet and the acquired arm. 

Yeah...it's that time of year where we need to unload quantity for quality.  Not an easy thing to do.  As kids, our proposed deals were our 4 pieces of trash for your star.  Some things never change.

Very interested to see what Story costs. I just don't think he's a great fit given what I assume will be an expensive price tag.

1. Right-handed bat, his LHP much better than RHP

2. They are going to ask him to play a new position 

3. He's a .243 hitter outside of Coors

4. He's not having a stellar 2021

I don't even count him being an FA after the season as a negative....but again I just don't know if he's the right fit for this team