Kris Bryant traded to Giants

Southwest Sider

Just now, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Anyone who thinks the Sox didn't get bent over in their trade after seeing this one have lost their damn minds.

Relievers with an extra year always cost more than a rental player at the deadline.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Forget it, he's rolling.

Kris Bryant would be significantly more helpful to our team this year than Kimbrel, I'm really not sure how you don't see that. Your obsession with 20 innings over 70 whole games is really, really weird.

The Sox have no right fielder. Bryant is a star. He impacts every game. The Sox could have traded much less for Bryant, signed a reliever in the off-season for much less than 16 million, and been way better off.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run
  • Fire 1

1 minute ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Kris Bryant would be significantly more helpful to our team this year than Kimbrel, I'm really not sure how you don't see that. Your obsession with 20 innings over 70 whole games is really, really weird.

The Sox have no right fielder. Bryant is a star. He impacts every game. The Sox could have traded much less for Bryant, signed a reliever in the off-season for much less than 16 million, and been way better off.

The cubs need to be willing to make that trade.  

2 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Its.Not.Just.2021.

Right.  Which is why there is a decent contingent that hates selling 5 years of Madrigal for a relief pitcher making a ton of money on a team that doesn't spend a lot. 

I am happy for what this trade means for 2021.  I hate how much it costed, and it feels like a real overpay to me.  

Edited by ChiSox59
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Thank you. I have never hated a move the Sox made more than this trade. That even includes bringing back a dbag like Eaton.

Roll the dice on Soria, or other guys that were traded for a bag of balls today instead of commiting over$35M to two freaking relievers and leaving RF to the Leury Garcias and Brian Goodwins of this world.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, GermanSoxFan said:

Thank you. I have never hated a move the Sox made more than this trade. That even includes bringing back a dbag like Eaton.

Roll the dice on Soria, or other guys that were traded for a bag of balls today instead of commiting over$35M to two freaking relievers and leaving RF to the Leury Garcias and Brian Goodwins of this world.

There are 2 ways this trade turns into a W.

1) Win the world series.

2) Jerry has approved a major budget increase and this doesn't stop the Sox from signing a real RF like Conforto and legitimate SP in FA this offseason.  I guess I can live with Hernandez at 2B, though I'd prfer someone like Semien and shift Hernandez into a Leury role.

Otherwise....terrible use of limited payroll space, and of an awesome player and roster fit in Madrigal. 

13 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Its.Not.Just.2021.

The Sox could have paid a reliever this off-season well less than 16 million who was still really good. They already spent a ton on a closer. I really am so confused by what you can't grasp.

This is honestly amazing. The Sox could have kept Madrigal, acquired Bryant, signed a reliever this off-season, and been better this year (bryant > Kimbrel) and been better next year.

If the goal was to get better for this year with the Kimbrel trade then Bryant was a much smarter add and way more impactful. If the goal of Kimbrel was to, for some reason, acquire a properly paid reliever (despite just paying 54 million for one) they could have just signed one as a FA this upcoming year. Anyway you slice it this didn't make us better this year (Bryant would have), or more efficient next year.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run

19 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

This one I am surprised we didn't beat.  An end of the top 30 guy and another unranked?

Seriously how did he not get thrown into the Kimbrel deal with this return?

2 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

The Sox could have paid a reliever this off-season well less than 16 million who was still really good. They already spent a ton on a closer. I really am so confused by what you can't grasp.

This is honestly amazing. The Sox could have kept Madrigal, acquired Bryant, signed a reliever this off-season, and been better this year (bryant > Kimbrel) and been better next year.

If the goal was to get better for this year with the Kimbrel trade then Bryant was a much smarter add and way more impactful. If the goal of Kimbrel was to, for some reason, acquire a properly paid reliever (despite just paying 54 million for one) they could have just signed one as a FA this upcoming year. Anyway you slice it this didn't make us better this year (Bryant would have), or more efficient next year.

You keep stating that the sox could have gotten Bryant.  I'm not sure the cubs trade him to the sox for an equal deal the giants offered.

Kimbrel is the best reliever in baseball right now. 

9 minutes ago, GermanSoxFan said:

Brian Goodwin is only on the playoff roster if someone else gets hurt again.

Leury is only starting if someone gets hurt again.  When all is said and done, you are either rolling out Eloy/Robert/Vaughn or Vaughn/Robert/Engel unless there are more injuries.

Just now, Harry Chappas said:

You keep stating that the sox could have gotten Bryant.  I'm not sure the cubs trade him to the sox for an equal deal the giants offered.

Kimbrel is the best reliever in baseball right now. 

The Cubs literally just traded two guys to the Sox; this narrative needs to die.

Just as the Sox did this past off-season, they allocated their resource terribly and spent their primary assets on a relief pitcher.

11 minutes ago, GermanSoxFan said:

A week from now that is not the RF option. 

6 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

I am really confused how you are so confused.  What just happens seems incredibly obvious to like 90% of people.  You not liking it is fine.  To pretend to not understand it?  GMAB.

Just now, southsider2k5 said:

Brian Goodwin is only on the playoff roster if someone else gets hurt again.

Leury is only starting if someone gets hurt again.  When all is said and done, you are either rolling out Eloy/Robert/Vaughn or Vaughn/Robert/Engel unless there are more injuries.

So who is the DH? Do the Sox just not have a DH Now?

Vaughn and Eloy are in LF/DH.

The Sox have NO right fielder. Kris Bryant filled an actual massive hole on the roster. Craig Kimbrel was a luxury item. I am so confused how you can't see how terribly this front office just spent their resources.

5 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Sox could have signed Iglesias and Givens with that kind of dough and added a lot of depth to their pen. 

With Tony at the helm, who is on record that he would prefer a star closer over an ace starter, this reeks of Tony LaRussa shenanigans 

8 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

There are 2 ways this trade turns into a W.

1) Win the world series.

2) Jerry has approved a major budget increase and this doesn't stop the Sox from signing a real RF like Conforto and legitimate SP in FA this offseason.  I guess I can live with Hernandez at 2B, though I'd prfer someone like Semien and shift Hernandez into a Leury role.

Otherwise....terrible use of limited payroll space, and of an awesome player and roster fit in Madrigal. 

I have said it before, I don't think this deals happens without the front office knowing that #2 is happening.

Just now, southsider2k5 said:

I am really confused how you are so confused.  What just happens seems incredibly obvious to like 90% of people.  You not liking it is fine.  To pretend to not understand it?  GMAB.

What about what I said is wrong?

Kris Bryant is a more impactful add than Craig Kimbrel for this season?
The Sox could sign a reliever this upcoming off-season for less than 16 million and still get a very very good reliever?
Nick Madrigal is better to have on your team than not have?

What above do you disagree with?

I honestly can't believe how many people think it's OK to two relievers 32 million dollars. No other great and consistent winning organizations do that, but you think the Sox are somehow the brilliants ones.