Kimbrel’s Option

hi8is

Isn’t it only available if he finishes 55 games this season? I believe he’s around like 35 right now.

If true, wouldn’t this mean we’ll have to give him more 9th inning opportunities?

About the option, this was written July 16th:

His contract includes a $16-million vesting option for 2022 based on a games finished clause in 2021, but he’s unlikely to reach that threshold. Kimbrel has finished 29 games, and the option vests if he finishes 55 games in 2021.

I don’t know how vesting options work in this case is it:

- If he finishes 55 games the option is triggered 

- If he doesn’t finish 55 games, the Sox can still trigger the option

?

Edited by hi8is

2 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Correct. If he finishes 55 games and passes a physical, the option is triggered.

If he does not finish that many games, the white Sox can choose between picking up that option and paying a $1 million buyout.

Ah good deal, thanks for the clarification. It’s an important detail which helps us understand it doesn’t matter how he’s deployed for the rest of the year.

Just now, Harry Chappas said:

At this point he may not want the option picked up if he finishes as a top reliever in baseball.

Yep… but it’s getting picked up and his wants regarding it aren’t important. 😆

• Like 1

Just now, WhiteSoxFan1993 said:

Other than serious injury, there's no chance the Sox don't pick up the option. If the Sox budget doesn't allow for keeping both closers, someone will trade for him.

Question was about the details of the option - not if we’re picking it up. 👍

5 minutes ago, WhiteSoxFan1993 said:

Yes, but I was pointing out that it doesn't really matter if it vests since the option is such a good value anyway.

I didn’t know if we held the option if it didn’t vest… as in I was unclear if he became a FA if he didn’t close out 55 games.

If that was the case we would have directive to use him as closer significantly… since it’s now clear that we hold the option regardless, his use isn’t relevant.

8 minutes ago, hi8is said:

Yep… but it’s getting picked up and his wants regarding it aren’t important. 😆

Given his kid's health condition (probably one of the reasons he was one of the very few Cubs players who got the vaccine), he might think it's important that the option is picked up.  I'm sure moving to a new city given that situation might not be easy.

3 minutes ago, kleedawg said:

IMHO if we win the ws, then we trade kimbrel in the off season. If we don't, maybe we keep him as closer and Liam set-up guy. Liam regains closer in 2023.

If the three headed beast works or shows promise to work… it’ll remain. Especially with TLR. 

The big question mark is who will step into Kopech’s role as he moves to the rotation ( hopefully ) next year.

3 minutes ago, hi8is said:

If the three headed beast works or shows promise to work… it’ll remain. Especially with TLR. 

The big question mark is who will step into Kopech’s role as he moves to the rotation ( hopefully ) next year.

It seems likely to me Crochet will be in that role, wouldn't you think? Or potentially Lopez, depending on how the rest of this season goes for him.

I said that I did not like trading Cody Heuer and Madrigal to the Cubs for another Closer and I have not changed my mind about that.

There had to be other trades to get a set-up man that would not have ended up with Madrigal and Cody on the Cubs.  Cesar Hernandez made the trade hurt less but I was a big fan of what Madrigal could do as a table setter for our powerful line-up.

10 hours ago, tray said:

I said that I did not like trading Cody Heuer and Madrigal to the Cubs for another Closer and I have not changed my mind about that.

There had to be other trades to get a set-up man that would not have ended up with Madrigal and Cody on the Cubs.  Cesar Hernandez made the trade hurt less but I was a big fan of what Madrigal could do as a table setter for our powerful line-up.

* Hall of fame closer.  Heuer got his first save tonight but we honestly have no idea what he will amount to.  And Madrigal's ceiling is kind of low.  Like I said, Cesar will be a better player in the immediate future.

10 minutes ago, Colome's Hat said:

* Hall of fame closer.  Heuer got his first save tonight but we honestly have no idea what he will amount to.  And Madrigal's ceiling is kind of low.  Like I said, Cesar will be a better player in the immediate future.

Cesar is not better than Madrigal if he is on the field.  Granted that has become a legitimate if. 

And Heuer is going to be a very good reliever. He is cheap and controlled long term.  Very well may be a closer.  

The Sox gave up a ton. 

4 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Cesar is not better than Madrigal if he is on the field.  Granted that has become a legitimate if. 

And Heuer is going to be a very good reliever. He is cheap and controlled long term.  Very well may be a closer.  

The Sox gave up a ton. 

Has Nick won a Gold Glove?  Cesar is a Gold Glove winner.  Does Cesar run us out of innings?  NIck ran us out of innings how many times these past two years?  I think Nick was going to eventually learn but I don't think we had the patience to go on that ride with him.   Right now, Cesar hits for power more, he has the same base stealing ability, he's a better defender, and he just has much higher baseball IQ.  Right now and for the next few years, he's a better player.

Heuer may be a very good releiver. Or he might be a bust.

Kimbrel is a hall of famer pitching at the height of his powers.

11 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

The Sox gave up a ton. 

The book may not be closed yet on this trade. We need to wait and see if Kimbrel gets traded in the off-season and what the return is.

15 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

The Sox gave up a ton. 

It was a fair value trade, especially given Madrigal is out for the entire season. 

Giving the ceilings of both Madrigal and Heuer, along with what the Sox are trying to accomplish in 2021 and 2022.......it was a perfectly reasonable use of assets. 

3 minutes ago, Colome's Hat said:

Has Nick won a Gold Glove?  Cesar is a Gold Glove winner.  Does Cesar run us out of innings?  NIck ran us out of innings how many times these past two years?  I think Nick was going to eventually learn but I don't think we had the patience to go on that ride with him.   Right now, Cesar hits for power more, he has the same base stealing ability, he's a better defender, and he just has much higher baseball IQ.  Right now and for the next few years, he's a better player.

Heuer may be a very good releiver. Or he might be a bust.

Kimbrel is a hall of famer pitching at the height of his powers.

I am not too concerned about gold gloves, especially in a 60 game season.  Cesar is a fine defender, maybe slightly better than Nick right now.  Certainly has not looked good in the field recently.  I think Madrigal has a much better bat.  IMO, Cesar isn't better than Madrigal, but he certainly is for 2021 since Madrigal can't play.  

I admit I am a big Madrigal and Heuer fan, but just felt like such an overpay for a guy on a market rate deal.  Oh well. Is what it is.   

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, ChiSox59 said:

I am not too concerned about gold gloves, especially in a 60 game season.  Cesar is a fine defender, maybe slightly better than Nick right now.  Certainly has not looked good in the field recently.  I think Madrigal has a much better bat.  IMO, Cesar isn't better than Madrigal, but he certainly is for 2021 since Madrigal can't play.  

I admit I am a big Madrigal and Heuer fan, but just felt like such an overpay for a guy on a market rate deal.  Oh well. Is what it is.   

Agreed with all of this.