MLB 2021-2 off season thread

southsider2k5

8 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

They better get rid of Leury then…

Well first of all he’s already a free agent.

Second of all, can you think of a White Sox team that had 5 outfielders hurt at once? I mean, with a roster of Eloy, Robert, Eaton, Engel, and Hamilton, no one would ever expect that many injuries.

2 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Tony Kemp until 2021, his age 29 season, never put up a 1.0 fWAR season. I am thinking outlier.

His career splits vs. RHP are still 103 wRC+ however, and his multiple positions allow us to move in Vaughn, Engel more easily (and Semien in theory can actually spell Tim Anderson for once)

https://www.southsidesox.com/2021/11/6/22763893/luke-smailes-chicago-white-sox-offseason-plan

Everyone in Soxosphere has us trading for Ketel Marte.

Somehow adding Kiermaier and Wendle in one trade, Fathom special.  Might as well bring back Colome on MLI.

Keuchel for Bradley, Jr., might drive everyone nuts.  Guaranteed Keuchel ends up Top Ten in Cy voting again next year, lol.

This guy has the Sox trading two minor leaguers nobody has even heard of…

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

https://www.southsidesox.com/2021/11/6/22763893/luke-smailes-chicago-white-sox-offseason-plan

Everyone in Soxosphere has us trading for Ketel Marte.

Somehow adding Kiermaier and Wendle in one trade, Fathom special.  Might as well bring back Colome on MLI.

Keuchel for Bradley, Jr., might drive everyone nuts.  Guaranteed Keuchel ends up Top Ten in Cy voting again next year, lol.

This guy has the Sox trading two minor leaguers nobody has even heard of…

I've heard of all of those minor leaguers. Not even sure who you are referring to but Denlinger and Luna were 2021 draft picks.

• Like 1

Check that optimism.  Merlin on the “Sox in the Basement” said we don’t necessarily need the big free agents, mentioned how successful the Braves were at the deadline with lesser guys, how our team should be much healthier this season, and that some of the younger guys should be better with another year of experience.

That being said, it does seem like he thinks we pursue one impact free agent in free agency (he named Semien & Conforto as hypotheticals) and then address other needs by trade or with less free agents.  Reading between the lines, I think Semien is a smokescreen and that Conforto is the priority.  After that, could see Escobar at 2B and a trade for a SP on a short-term deal, so basically my option B.

9 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Check that optimism.  Merlin on the “Sox in the Basement” said we don’t necessarily need the big free agents, mentioned how successful the Braves were at the deadline with lesser guys, how our team should be much healthier this season, and that some of the younger guys should be better with another year of experience.

That being said, it does seem like he thinks we pursue one impact free agent in free agency (he named Semien & Conforto as hypotheticals) and then address other needs by trade or with less free agents.  Reading between the lines, I think Semien is a smokescreen and that Conforto is the priority.  After that, could see Escobar at 2B and a trade for a SP on a short-term deal, so basically my option B.

I agree with him. The Sox don’t need superstars at every position - plus it’s not realistic to have that expectation. The team with the worst record among playoff teams won the whole thing. Two 100+ teams failed to make the WS. It’s not the first time we’ve seen that either. Just get the right players that fill out the holes on this team the best. I’d be ecstatic with Conforto and Escobar.

3 minutes ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

I agree with him. The Sox don’t need superstars at every position - plus it’s not realistic to have that expectation. The team with the worst record among playoff teams won the whole thing. Two 100+ teams failed to make the WS. It’s not the first time we’ve seen that either. Just get the right players that fill out the holes on this team the best. I’d be ecstatic with Conforto and Escobar.

There’s nothing inherently wrong with what he said, but it just reinforces why I rarely read his articles anymore since they’re all spin city and trying to say how awesome everything already is.  It’s obviously part of his job but his takes always rile me up regardless.

But agree, Conforto, Escobar, and trade for a SP would be a very nice offseason and set us up well for 2022.

1 hour ago, Lillian said:

If they signed both Semien and Conforto, Vaughn would become expendable and better utilized as trade bait for pitching depth. The lineup would be dangerous, one through 9. In fact, one would be challenged to construct a lineup, given the fact that somebody has to bat in the bottom third of the order:

Versus RHP:

SS Anderson

3B Moncada

CF Robert

1B Abreu

2B Semien

RF Conforto

LF Eloy

C  Grandal

DH Sheets

That lineup has 3 RH hitters batting consecutively, in the middle of the order. However, how else could it be constructed. It wouldn't make sense for Robert, Abreu or Semien to bat any lower, especially with how well Semien hits RHP. That is why it just seems like overkill. Perhaps, Conforto and Escobar make more sense, with the money saved, spent on pitching. Escobar would cost a fraction of what Semien will get. Moreover, Vaughn could still be traded for pitching, as there is no room for him, even if Escobar is added, instead of Semien. 

Hypothetically, if we got Semien I think he must bat 1st and T.A. second. If Semien leads off and get on first. The first baseman obviously would have the speedy runner on first, The second baseman would have to cheat towards second for double play positioning and a 2b cover on a steal. That leaves virtually the whole damn right side of the infield open for T.A.  And T.A. loves to hit to right and is best when he does. This should easily add 15 points to Tim's batting average and greatly increase is RBI's. It would also increase the $$$$ coming on his new contract. The white sox would start a lot of games first and third no outs and the heart of the order coming up. If Semien doubles, then once again you have the perfect guy coming up to hit behind him.

It doesn't work the other way around because Semien is a pull hitter.

Good point, "kleedawg".  Although, teams might shift toward the right side, in that situation, leaving the SS to cover 2ND. Moreover, Semien is not a high OBP hitter, but rather more of a run producer and therefore probably should hit lower in the order. Perhaps Moncada should lead off, with his high OBP and then bat T. A. 2ND, as you suggest.

In any case, I don't expect the Sox to sign Semien.  It would be a nice surprise.

Edited by Lillian

3 minutes ago, Lillian said:

Good point, "kleedawg".  Although, teams might shift toward the right side, in that situation, leaving the SS to cover 2ND. In any case, I don't expect the Sox to sign Semien.  It would be a nice surprise.

But they can't shift the first baseman and if the they do shift 2b they prolly won't have anyone who could cover 2b and a grounder to 3b, or SS. They would also open the 5/6 hole now to Tim. This will make them more reluctant to throw Tim off-speed pitches as he would be more apt to roll over on and find that 5/6 hole. 

48 minutes ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

The Braves aren't just some scrubs though. They've been to the playoffs consistently and have the best infield in baseball. Solar and Joc filled on nicely for Acuna. 

22 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

The Braves aren't just some scrubs though. They've been to the playoffs consistently and have the best infield in baseball. Solar and Joc filled on nicely for Acuna. 

The big difference to me between the White Sox and the Braves is the Braves now go into every playoff series knowing they had playoff aces in Morton, Fried and Anderson, where the White Sox had Giolito and he didn't come through. The rest we had no idea, and they were all very mediocre. And of course, their bullpen was nails, and ours was ... the opposite of nails.

Against the Brewers, the Braves scored 1, 3, 3 and 5, and they won in 4 games. Against the Dodgers they scored 4, 2, 9, 5, 5, 3. In games the Braves scored 4 runs or less in the playoffs, they were 5-3. 

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Oof, that first paragraph is gross. Any FO that approaches the offseason with that rationale should probably not be an existing FO.

29 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Hey raBBit, when / what did the Sox offer Harper?  Not challenging you, just curious what actually went down there.

I don't know what they offered in terms of $ but I know they had an offer and Harper loved the Sox presentation and specifically hit it off with Kenny Williams.

5 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

It’s not so much that they are “fake” offers. It’s more that they are trying to get the mega-deal type players at their price which, what they end up signing for is never really the case.

So when they offered the most for Wheeler, what happened? Wasn't a serious offer?

7 minutes ago, raBBit said:

I don't know what they offered in terms of $ but I know they had an offer and Harper loved the Sox presentation and specifically hit it off with Kenny Williams.

So when they offered the most for Wheeler, what happened? Wasn't a serious offer?

I never said they don’t make serious offers. But they felt more confident making that deal for 5 years rather than other star pitchers who are younger 7+ years. 

Having said that, I think Semien could be realistic because he’s not a guy signing for $200+ mill since he’s 31 and could get a high AAV 5 year (or 6) deal rather than a player who can sign for 10 years $300+ mill.

Conforto also realistic I would say because he’s not a star getting a crazy deal. 9 figures probably but not you know, 2/300 mill.

Edited by Bob Sacamano