Semien to Rangers, 7 for $175

bmags

3 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Conforto, the big three pitchers (Scherzer, Gausman, Ray), Correa / Seager (these two not happening), & Bryant.  We’d still need to fill other holes with trades or less free agent signings, but I’d be content if we landed one of those guys.

It sounds like Scherzer is in home stretch and most likely West coast bound unless Mets can wrestle him East. 

1 minute ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Sorry, not in the budget. You'll get Leury, and like it.

These were my expectations coming into the offseason (what I expected, not what I wanted), and each day they become closer to fruition.

• 2B Josh Harrison / Jose Iglesias
  • RF Sheets/Vaughn
  • Util Leury Garcia
  • RP Tepera or Equivalent (Graveman takes this slot, though they may sign Tepera or one more, especially if they dump Kimbrel for prospects)
  • SP Duffy/Wacha/Pineda $7M-$8M Over The Hill Type (perhaps 42 year old Rich Hill)
  • Trade Kimbrel for prospect(s) and/or low-leverage RP

Predicted payroll increase to the $160M-$170M range.

White Sox Baseball - Broke Since 1901

broke-monopoly-guy.png

Lol…you’re already celebrating that you were right about the Sox being cheap?  Man you really love to be outraged.

Just now, SonofaRoache said:

The Mets have a ton of money to spend and are letting Conforto bounce at a reasonable rate. That is concerning. 

The Mets wanted to add RH hitting OFs to supplement Nimmo, McNeil & Smith and also wanted a legit CF.  Conforto didn’t help in either of those areas.

7 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Of course. That's not happening though. 

You will get half because I think Conforto will happen for Sox since it seems his rumors are pretty much dried up. But most likely  Scherzer won't.  Maybe, Ray will be your missing piece. 

Honestly good for the rangers and their fans. They aren’t close to competing but they are spending money and the fans have something to be excited about. 

it’s more exciting than having an actual good team finally and wondering which dumpster they are going to dive as they squander a championship window. 

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Lol…you’re already celebrating that you were right about the Sox being cheap?  Man you really love to be outraged.

If they DO spend on somebody, he will scourge their history and try to find something they said that is even mildly offensive in the past 20 years.

Edited by ron883
  • Fire 1

3 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

There is nothing going on that says Kelenic will have a better career than Madrigal. You sounds like you're talking about 5 years from now when Kelenic is a top player and Madrigal isn't.

Today, Id rather have Kelenic than Madrigal. Id rather have Grayson Rodriguez today than Madrigal. I’d rather have Gilbert too. 

2 hours ago, T R U said:

Honestly good for the rangers and their fans. They aren’t close to competing but they are spending money and the fans have something to be excited about. 

it’s more exciting than having an actual good team finally and wondering which dumpster they are going to dive as they squander a championship window. 

I would take the White Sox scenario  100X over the current state of the Rangers. 

• Love 1

4 hours ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

The young players on a roster are supposed to outperform their concepts because they're grossly underpaid. 

Veterans performing to their contracts is fine.

I'm not going to get into a huge payroll debate, but salaries in MLB have not scaled with revenues. Not even close. In the period of time that revenues are up nearly 200%, avg player salary is up 76%. Overpayments imply some sense that owners lose money on those contracts. They don't. Fans have bought some erroneous and absurd billionaire narrative that big contracts that don't perform at the end of them hurt franchises. It's complete BS. Players don't get paid when they're young, so you are going to have to "overpay" whent they're older. If Semien is 4+ fWAR player for 3 out of 7 years, the contract is a big win. If he is a key cog on a title team it's a grandslam. The back end of contracts have no actual impact on a teams ability to spend. Owners have merely taken more and more of the revenue share over the past two decades while fans root for them to make even more. It's absoutely baffling. You're not paying for Semein in 2026-2027. You're paying for his production over the next 2-3 seasons and hoping he puts your team over the top. That generates huge revenues for a team and pays for itself on the back end. 

It’s fine if you believe he puts us over the top. I don’t. Not only is he not what this club needs (down the priority list), I’m not convinced he produces like you think he will. That’s my 2c, you have yours, we’ll see how it shakes out.

2 hours ago, HOFHurt35 said:

I would take the White Sox scenario  100X over the current state of the Rangers. 

They do have a new stadium and dominance in their market...but still not the comparative advantage because Houston, Seattle and LAA are formidable organizations in terms of organizational resources.

Three years from now, the situation might have shifted back to the where the Rangers and Sox were positioned roughly a decade ago, where the Rangers were one out away from a WS win.

No chance we were going to be in play for this kind of money/years. Some big numbers being thrown around, and honestly I wouldn’t want to be tied down this guy for 7 years. I think they are going to regret not jumping on an Escobar type signing at 10 million a year. 

11 minutes ago, ShoeLessRob said:

No chance we were going to be in play for this kind of money/years. Some big numbers being thrown around, and honestly I wouldn’t want to be tied down this guy for 7 years. I think they are going to regret not jumping on an Escobar type signing at 10 million a year. 

A 7 year deal for a guy like this is a way for a team to sign him for 5 years at a money amount that would make sense…and then spread out the luxury tax number and payroll hit over more years. Imagine this as a 5/$150 deal, isn’t that fair for a guy who has recently been top 3 in the MVP race twice? And your buying out his last years for $25 million on top of that? If those last couple years are a time when you just can’t afford it, you attach a closer and trade him to the Mets for their top prospect (half kidding about that part, but that’s literally what the last years are. Making it easier to win in the first couple years when he might put up another 6 WAR season. And yeah, those final years can always be dumped.)

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

A 7 year deal for a guy like this is a way for a team to sign him for 5 years at a money amount that would make sense…and then spread out the luxury tax number and payroll hit over more years. Imagine this as a 5/$150 deal, isn’t that fair for a guy who has recently been top 3 in the MVP race twice? And your buying out his last years for $25 million on top of that? If those last couple years are a time when you just can’t afford it, you attach a closer and trade him to the Mets for their top prospect (half kidding about that part, but that’s literally what the last years are. Making it easier to win in the first couple years when he might put up another 6 WAR season. And yeah, those final years can always be dumped.)

Although I agree, but this is the White Sox. Why spend $25 million a year on a position player when you can get two bullpen arms for the same price! 

25 minutes ago, ShoeLessRob said:

Or Frazier, who's highly likely to produce in the 1.5-2.5 fWAR range for $7.5 million, or $7 million more than Madrigal for roughly the same level (or less) of production.

Going off 2021, he proved he could have ONE really decent (3-4 fWAR) season, but repeatability an OBVIOUS concern to the rest of MLB.

1 minute ago, ShoeLessRob said:

Although I agree, but this is the White Sox. Why spend $25 million a year on a position player when you can get two bullpen arms for the same price! 

The White Sox modus operandi before Koch/Linebrink/Dotel was almost ALWAYS to draft and/or find guys on the cheap (or even waiver wire) like Jenks, Foulke/Howry, Santos, Crain, Damaso Marte, Matt Thornton, etc.

Paying top market dollar for relievers has almost always been fool's gold, and it was again with Kimbrel.

Hendriks worked out fine, but he actually saved a lower percentage of his opportunities than Colome, who was a complete disaster this season.