Spring Training thread

Balta1701

1 minute ago, Tnetennba said:

But he should go back to AAA or be relegated to a platoon bat. 🙄🙄

Outside of 1 name, the bottom of that list isn’t all that impressive. “Who would ever send Ike Davis or Eric Hosmer back to AAA with the careers they put up!” Isn’t a hard sell.

2 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Outside of 1 name, the bottom of that list isn’t all that impressive. “Who would ever send Ike Davis or Eric Hosmer back to AAA with the careers they put up!” Isn’t a hard sell.

Is he a finished product?  No.  Should he learn at the major league level against the best pitching around?  Absolutely.  He won’t get better against RHP by only facing lefties or crushing AAA & AAAA pitching.  If he somehow craters in spring training that door opens, but until that happens it’s silly to suggest IMO. 

1 minute ago, Tnetennba said:

Is he a finished product?  No.  Should he learn at the major league level against the best pitching around?  Absolutely.  He won’t get better against RHP by only facing lefties or crushing AAA & AAAA pitching.  If he somehow craters in spring training that door opens, but until that happens it’s silly to suggest IMO. 

Dude I totally agree. I can also recognize when an argument is weak sauce. “Look he’s on a list with Pujols! (15 slots below him between Ike Davis and Marty Cordova)” is not a strong sell.

6 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Dude I totally agree. I can also recognize when an argument is weak sauce. “Look he’s on a list with Pujols! (15 slots below him between Ike Davis and Marty Cordova)” is not a strong sell.

I just think some of the Vaughn takes around here are silly and was obviously subtweeting with my original comment.  I didn’t scan that list of names super closely.   

12 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

Just to be honest here, if we add a RF it’s very possible Tony heavily platoons Vaughn early on.

55 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Dan Johnson?!

Dan Johnson.

Convinced these dudes have kept the A's in Oakland over the years, despite the teams attempts at leaving.

9 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

It strikes me as another inkblot test.  Those with some optimism see Pujols, Abreu, Soto, Longoria etc.  Then there are those who look for the worst.

Steve Stone picked up where he left off last season in the first ST game imploring fans to forget about Vaughn's .235 BA (in 417 ABs) and declaring that Vaughn will be a "prolific hitter" in the major league. OK, that is an opinion and one from  a HoF pitcher, but at some point promotion has to yield to statistics and actual performance. Last year Stone  promoted Vaughn's defense while mocking Eloy on several occasions, even when he made decent plays.

I hope Vaughn improves his BA average by 40 points, (close to what Eloy hits) and doubles the amount of HR he hit last season (15). However, until Tony sees that kind of improvement, I would not blame him for platooning  AV at DH with a few platoon starts at 1B.  And please no more outfield starts for AV, OK he  was serviceable last season in the OF, but too many balls got down in front and behind him and it is only a matter of time that he injures himself on the plays where he makes a lawn dart of himself diving for a routine blooper.

Edited by tray
  • Haha 1

Just now, tray said:

Steve Stone picked up where he left off last season in the first ST game imploring fans to forget about Vaughn's .235 BA (in 417 ABs) and declaring that Vaughn will be a "prolific hitter" in the major league. OK, that is an opinion and one from  a HoF pitcher, but at some point promotion has to yield to statistics and actual performance.Stone also promoted Vaughn's defense while mocking Eloy on several occasions, even when he made decent plays.

I hope Vaughn improves his BA average by 40 points, (close to what Eloy hits) and doubles the amount of HR he hit last season (15). However, until Tony sees that kind of improvement, I would not blame him for platooning  AV at DH with a few platoon starts at 1B.  And please no more outfield starts for AV, OK he  was serviceable last season in the OF, but too many balls got down in front and behind him and it is only a matter of time that he injures himself on the plays where he makes a lawn dart of himself diving for a routine blooper.

LOL at least you're consistent.

2 minutes ago, tray said:

Steve Stone picked up where he left off last season in the first ST game imploring fans to forget about Vaughn's .235 BA (in 417 ABs) and declaring that Vaughn will be a "prolific hitter" in the major league. OK, that is an opinion and one from  a HoF pitcher, but at some point promotion has to yield to statistics and actual performance. Last year Stone  promoted Vaughn's defense while mocking Eloy on several occasions, even when he made decent plays.

Hey Siri, definitely "irony".

• Haha 1