White Sox linked to Manaea/Montas

southsider2k5

4 hours ago, michelangelosmonkey said:

Why not Keuchel as our extra starter?  I know he was BAD last year...but he was top five CYA the year before that.  He is a great fielding, crafty lefty.  Right now we have four power arm righty starters...having Keuchel in the middle to screw up teams?  I mean he's on the roster and costs no prospects.  I know he is innings limited but with Lopez and Crochett and Keuchel it would seem like you could give everyone a bit of time off.  If Keuchel is terrible by the trade deadline...well then hopefully some of the very young prospects will be getting some buzz and we can trade for a stud starter for the playoffs.  

We don't want keuchel's option for next year to automatically vest for one reason. 

1 minute ago, kleedawg said:

We don't want keuchel's option for next year to automatically vest for one reason. 

He has to throw an awful lot of innings before that even becomes a consideration. There is no chance they’ll allow the option to vest. He’ll be released if need be. 

3 minutes ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

There has never been a more Oakland A's looking player on this team than Gavin Sheets.

And I like Sheets, I just feel like he fits the mold of an A's hitter during my lifetime.

If the Sox get Conforto I’m fine with them sending Sheets away for pitching. I like the guy but it’s worth moving him if he can net a solid arm.

5 minutes ago, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

If the Sox get Conforto I’m fine with them sending Sheets away for pitching. I like the guy but it’s worth moving him if he can net a solid arm.

I think we can say that Conforto isn’t going to happen anymore. Wouldn’t surprise me at all if they don’t trade Kimbrel as well. 

41 minutes ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

There has never been a more Oakland A's looking player on this team than Gavin Sheets.

And I like Sheets, I just feel like he fits the mold of an A's hitter during my lifetime.

Weird that I've thought the same thing. That's why I like him. He's peculiar here. He doesn't seem like a guy the Sox pick and develop. Vaughn is. I never liked the Vaughn pick for this reason. 

A good heuristic for Hahn is see who Oakland likes. If they like Sheets, he's probably decent and precisely the kind of guy a similarly 'second-class' franchise would want.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

Sheets reminds me of Matt Stairs who in his prime for 3 years (1997-1999) was a pretty good hitter 1B/OF type. Hung around for 19 years. 265 Career HR's. One of those LH professional hitter types like Michael Brantley only a step below. Brantley higher batting average  more doubles less homers,more AB's on a year to year basis.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

1 minute ago, Harry Chappas said:

Burger is the top option to go to Oakland now. 

All competitors are giving up minor league talent for major league talent while the White Sox will have to give up major league talent to improve

Or Sheets.  Or Vaughn.  Paired with minor league pitching (or lack thereof), which we all witnessed is what ultimately spelled the downfall of the purported Cubs' dynasty.

8 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

He has to throw an awful lot of innings before that even becomes a consideration. There is no chance they’ll allow the option to vest. He’ll be released if need be. 

If there is not a better option to start he will not be released while we are contending...and we will be.

7 hours ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

Adolfo has the power to hit some bombs there.

The average, well, different story.

32 minutes ago, Harry Chappas said:

Burger is the top option to go to Oakland now. 

All competitors are giving up minor league talent for major league talent while the White Sox will have to give up major league talent to improve

Oak traded away their 1B & 3B, so perhaps Sheets or Burger is of interest?  Someone has to play in Oakland after all.