Offseason Part 3 - Because Part 2 Was a Dud

CentralChamps21

27 minutes ago, whitesoxwinner said:

What's the point of trading kimbrel if they're not going use the money? jimmy seems confident that they are waiting but do have offers on kimbrel. But he's not confident on conforto. Are they trying to trade kimbrel merely to be under budget? the front office and rumors have me scratching my head

Maybe they will use it on the player they acquire. Until the deal happens we won't know.

Zach McKinstry for Kimbrel and $2-4 million makes some sense.

Unless we are super confident in Harrison or Leury, there needs to be a better option than Romy or Mendick IMO.

I guess Micker Adolfo has already been awarded RF, with Vaughn at DH/1B and Sheets/Burger traded for starting pitching…fwiw, Cespedes looks pretty sharp out there in center, granted only one play.  Maybe it’s the lack of good jumps and routes by the majority of our outfielders last year.

Edited by caulfield12

2 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Unless we are super confident in Harrison or Leury, there needs to be a better option than Romy or Mendick IMO.

His name is Jake bigmac Burger.

Kidding. Kind of.

10 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

I guess Micker Adolfo has already been awarded RF, with Vaughn at DH/1B and Sheets/Burger traded for starting pitching…fwiw, Cespedes looks pretty sharp out there in center, granted only one play.  Maybe it’s the lack of good jumps and routes by the majority of our outfielders last year.

I like the idea of targeting upper minors depth from the Dodgers, but I'm not sure McKinstry is the guy. I don't think the Sox spent ~11M between Leury and Harrison for them to be replaced by a McKinstry type. Besides hitting left-handed, I'm not sure if there's much of a difference between McKinstry and Romy anyways. Both guys raked in the upper minors, struggled big time in the majors, but offer nice positional versatility. Their projections for this season on Fangraphs (fwiw) are pretty much identical, too.

17 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Can you summarize what’s happening here?  I’m at a swim lesson for my kids and can barely hear.

Essentially in the middle of talking, one of the guys gets a text and says it is an insider trade that hasn't made its way to twitter. He describes it as a "multi-layered" trade, doesn't want to name teams, and guesses it is a possible "1 of 2 trades." His hint is "big contract" and he doesn't want to say more because he doesn't want to ruin anything. The other guy asks if it involves the Cubs or White Sox, and there is an awkward pause and some laughing, with "White Sox, potentially" finally being admitted. Who knows.

Edited by CWSpalehoseCWS
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

Essentially in the middle of talking, one of the guys gets a text and says it is an insider trade that hasn't made its way to twitter. He describes it as a "multi-layered" trade, doesn't want to name teams, and guesses it is a possible "1 of 2 trades." His hint is "big contract" and he doesn't want to say more because he doesn't want to ruin anything. The other guy asks if it involves the Cubs or White Sox, and there is an awkward pause and some laughing, with "White Sox, potentially" finally being admitted. Who knows.

Yermin for Trout. Book it.

• Haha 2
  • Love 1

49 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Where do you come up with this shit?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

17 minutes ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

Thanks for the summary. Sounds like instead of Kimbrel for RF it's Kimbrel first to open up room for a 2nd trade for RF. 

1 hour ago, ptatc said:

Which is all valid. But again what was their greatest weakness? Everyone will have an opinion. I just think it was the pitching staff.

I have this crazy idea that 500 > 60, and 140 > 60.

In other words, an everyday player that can play in ~140 games/year in the field, + get you ~500 PA/yr is more valuable than a garden-variety 60 IP reliever.

I also believe that a 140 IP SP generally helps you win more than a 60 IP RP.

So simply from usage alone, everyday player needs > RPs. Also, SPs needs > RPs. If your club has ANY weaknesses in your everyday lineup or rotation, address them, FIRST.

Crazy idea, right? 

• Quin locked this topic