3/22 Spring training game vs MIL

7 minutes ago, chw42 said:

Wait, they took Keuchel out and he's back in now? 

I don't know how long they've allowed it, but I've seen it in spring before.  Don't want guys throwing too many pitches in an inning, but still want them to get work.

For some reason the other night, I was whistling the Price Is Right theme in the kitchen and I guess I did it too long as a voice from the living room called out, "WILL YOU STOP THAT!!!"

Sorry, the above was meant to be a response to Rays come on down post...it seems rather random on its own 🙃

Edited by wegner

2 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

I don't know how long they've allowed it, but I've seen it in spring before.  Don't want guys throwing too many pitches in an inning, but still want them to get work.

I feel like it's only been in place since the 2020 midsummer "training camp."

I remember seeing it last year, but not in 2019... and I feel like it was a thing in 2020.

Just now, JoeC said:

I feel like it's only been in place since the 2020 midsummer "training camp."

I remember seeing it last year, but not in 2019... and I feel like it was a thing in 2020.

Yeah, that might be the case.  I can't recall how long its been a thing, but I know I've seen it before.

1 minute ago, Jack Parkman said:

Or maybe is it that he's not any good after teams have adjusted? 

Bummer gets an insane number of ground balls still. Those balls are supposed to be stopped by fielders. They commonly aren't, because putting fielders where ground balls might go betrays the unwritten rules of the game, or something like that.

6 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Or maybe is it that he's not any good after teams have adjusted? 

Adjust to what? Hitting weak grounders to places where fielders aren't? If teams can do that whenever they want, shifts wouldn't be a thing. 

Edited by chw42
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Jack Parkman said:

Then how come it keeps happening to Bummer? 

Because he throws a heavy sinker? Maybe if we shifted correctly or our fielders didn't butcher balls they should definitely have, it wouldn't be a problem. Outside of not having control sometimes, Bummer is doing everything you want from a pitcher. He strikes guys out, he gets ground balls, and he induces weak contact. I've never seen people complain about a pitcher giving up too much weak contact. That's new. 

• Like 1
  • Fire 1

1 minute ago, Balta1701 said:

Because he had a 76.1% ground ball rate last year. 

Holy shit.

I had to look it up.... and you're right. That's ungodly and should be a good thing.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JoeC said:

Holy shit.

I had to look it up.... and you're right. That's ungodly and should be a good thing.

If your infielders are consistently poorly positioned or just bad, you will first notice it through Aaron Bummer. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, JoeC said:

Crick's "stuff" seems pretty good and lively.

Hopefully he can get his command under control. Could be a really nice pickup in the 'pen.

Note: this post was made immediately before he gave up his base hit....

3 minutes ago, chw42 said:

Because he throws a heavy sinker? Maybe if we shifted correctly or our fielders didn't butcher balls they should definitely have, it wouldn't be a problem. Outside of not having control sometimes, Bummer is doing everything you want from a pitcher. He strikes guys out, he gets ground balls, and he induces weak contact. I've never seen people complain about a pitcher giving up too much weak contact. That's new. 

It's a problem when the weak contact keeps going for base hits. 

• Haha 2

Just now, Jack Parkman said:

It's a problem when the weak contact keeps going for base hits. 

Come on Jack, we all know that consistently getting hits on little dribblers amounts to a lot of luck. It's not a skill. 

• Like 1