Michael Conforto: His POV and the Wait

SouthSideGeorgia

9 minutes ago, poppysox said:

I believe you have achieved another sarcasm.

I've always been a Boras fan. For months people talked about how important competition is, Boras players don't accept less to help load a championship team. For months we heard how players were  receiving too little of the revenue. His players generally receive better than market pieces. He totally supports his players.

If I was a player, he'd be my guy. 

19 minutes ago, Texsox said:

I've always been a Boras fan. For months people talked about how important competition is, Boras players don't accept less to help load a championship team. For months we heard how players were  receiving too little of the revenue. His players generally receive better than market pieces. He totally supports his players.

If I was a player, he'd be my guy. 

Obviously good at what he does...but not my cup of tea.

So if rumors that Sox made an offer around 4/$76M were true, I am curious why the he doesn’t circle back with Sox and take that offer at this point. I don’t think he will get anything close to a 5/$100M deal anymore. Also there is no upside for him to sit till after the draft to take a 1 year deal and try again next season, as players who has taken this approach in the past usually struggle to get it going. The Sox offer seems to be the best one available.

It’s also certainly plausible the Sox offer is no longer on the table, or that they never had serious intent of signing him. We can point to the signings Hahn has already made, but assuming Giolito settles for $7.5M arb, I think they could still give Conforto the rumored offer without moving Kimbrel and going over CBT.

Edited by thxfrthmmrs
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, thxfrthmmrs said:

So if rumors that Sox made an offer around 4/$76M were true, I am curious why the he doesn’t circle back with Sox and take that offer at this point. I don’t think he will get anything close to a 5/$100M deal anymore. Also there is no upside for him to sit till after the draft to take a 1 year deal and try again next season, as players who has taken this approach in the past usually struggle to get it going. The Sox offer seems to be the best one available.

It’s also certainly plausible the Sox offer is no longer on the table, or that they never had serious intent of signing him. We can point to the signings Hahn has already made, but assuming Giolito settles for $7.5M arb, I think they could still give Conforto the rumored offer without moving Kimbrel and going over CBT.

It's definitely no longer on the table. 

3 minutes ago, chw42 said:

It's definitely no longer on the table. 

I am trying to convince myself which is the more acceptable excuse, that they have the money to Kelly/Harrison/VV instead, they thought they could trade Kimbrel but turns out they couldn’t, or that they were never seriously pursuing a guy who now could be had for a very reasonable contract and addresses a major need for them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, thxfrthmmrs said:

Sometimes we act like $75M isn't a lot of money.

20 minutes ago, poppysox said:

Sometimes Boras can overplay his hand.  For the agent, it is no big deal but for the player...sometimes life-changing.

If you are a big dog he is an outstanding agent....if you are not, he is not imo.  It looks like Conforto should have take the QO and prove it this season.

Edited by wegner

15 minutes ago, thxfrthmmrs said:

I am referring to the $75M they supposedly offered him earlier. So what’s your point?

I know.  The remark wasn't aimed at you.  Just a reminder that the first offer might be the best offer.  Sometimes everyone thinks there is even more right around the corner.

Edited by poppysox
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, wegner said:

If you are a big dog he is an outstanding agent....if you are not, he is not imo.  It looks like Conforto should have take the QO and prove it this season.

He undoubtedly turned down the QO and the supposed WS offer on Boras's advice.  Boras is good but people need to do what is best for themselves.  I always admired Chris Sale for taking the early money and locking in the good life for his family.  Remember..."Pigs get fat but hogs go to slaughter."

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Colome's Hat said:

The longer this plays out, I think he's going to sign a one year prove it deal with the White Sox.  And I'm fine with that. He overrated his market completely and also likely got screwed by the lockout.  

No chance Sox sign him to a one year deal 

8 minutes ago, Colome's Hat said:

The longer this plays out, I think he's going to sign a one year prove it deal with the White Sox.  And I'm fine with that. He overrated his market completely and also likely got screwed by the lockout.  

Would not surprise me in the least.  

On 3/25/2022 at 12:30 PM, chw42 said:

Maybe it'll be different with hitters, but both Kimbrel and Keuchel struggled after they signed with teams in June to avoid the QO. If Conforto has to get a prove-it 1 year deal in mid July, it's probably not going to be good for his FA prospects in 2023. That makes me think he'll be looking for multiple years if he signs in July. 

Keuchel did ok, no?  If I recall his ERA was below 4.  Kimbrel definitely struggled though and was the poster child of the consequences of signing late.

6 minutes ago, Colome's Hat said:

Keuchel did ok, no?  If I recall his ERA was below 4.  Kimbrel definitely struggled though and was the poster child of the consequences of signing late.

Yeah his ERA was in the high 3s, but his peripherals were terrible.