OF Help at last!! White Sox acquire Haseley from Phils

KrankinSox

2 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Looking more into this, just seems like a flier for Charlotte. 

Bah, a “warm body who can play a few games when someone is hurt” has some value when we’ve already got an OF who will probably miss opening day. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

6 to 8 weeks (42-56 days) is a BIT short of 60 days FWIW.  Going to guess Yermin doesn't go to the 60.

For a guy they almost certainly have no plans for on the MLB roster, why not just make the roster space and figure it out in 60 days?  He'll be in AAA anyway.  

• Like 1

The fact that there are so many disposable/DFA candidates still in camp speaks to the inefficiency of last TDL.

We've all known that there aren't now and there weren't then any plans for Rutherford, Yermin, or really, Adolfo. Why weren't these pieces used to get what they needed?

(i.e. Escobar went to Milwaukee for 2 AAAA types; Yimi Garcia went to Houston for 2 AAAA types.)

I get that they had/have scant value, but looking around MLB, other FOs seem to be able to get something for these types of guys. Rebuilding types trying to save cash always seem to have the ability to take a flier on AAAA-types as well.

Edited by Two-Gun Pete

20 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Honestly, they just need to DFA him and get it over with.

That too.  I just think there is basically no chance that spot isn't needed. He's hurt for at least 6 weeks + rehab. Just throw him on the 60 day and figure it out later.  

8 minutes ago, Two-Gun Pete said:

The fact that there are so many disposable/DFA candidates still in camp speaks to the inefficiency of last TDL.

We've all known that there aren't now and there weren't then any plans for Rutherford, Yermin, or really, Adolfo. Why weren't these pieces used to get what they needed?

(i.e. Escobar went to Milwaukee for 2 AAAA types; Yimi Garcia went to Houston for 2 AAAA types.)

I get that they had/have scant value, but looking around MLB, other FOs seem to be able to get something for these types of guys. Rebuilding types trying to save cash always seem to have the ability to take a flier on AAAA-types as well.

It's almost like the other 29 teams out there realized the same thing and knew they could chance them on waivers in six months.

• Like 2

Sox will put Yermin on the 60 day. Count on it.

This guy can play CF and has at least hit in AAA at some point in his career. Two things Blake Rutherford can't cay. It's a depth move that in all likliehood doesn't make a difference but I guess the 40 man is improved? Small victories this offseason. 

• Like 1

Just now, southsider2k5 said:

It's almost like the other 29 teams out there realized the same thing and knew they could chance them on waivers in six months.

And yet, Milwaukee were able to get something for AAAA fodder, as were Houston last TDL.

We could go on with other contenders, but I'm sure you get the idea. It's maddening that this FO shipped out cost-controlled MLB contributors, but couldn't part with Adolfo, Mercedes, or Rutherford. 

1 minute ago, Two-Gun Pete said:

And yet, Milwaukee were able to get something for AAAA fodder, as were Houston last TDL.

We could go on with other contenders, but I'm sure you get the idea. It's maddening that this FO shipped out cost-controlled MLB contributors, but couldn't part with Adolfo, Mercedes, or Rutherford. 

Almost as if the other teams weren't interested in them.

2 minutes ago, raBBit said:

Sox will put Yermin on the 60 day. Count on it.

This guy can play CF and has at least hit in AAA at some point in his career. Two things Blake Rutherford can't cay. It's a depth move that in all likliehood doesn't make a difference but I guess the 40 man is improved? Small victories this offseason. 

Ya know what, I'll agree with this. Congrats to the FO for doing something positive.

They DID add to the 40 man depth, and that's a good thing.

• Like 2

• bmags unpinned this topic