OF Help at last!! White Sox acquire Haseley from Phils

KrankinSox

3 minutes ago, Eminor3rd said:

Post-hype change of scenery candidates are great as depth, less great when plugged directly into a contending lineup.

I’m not sure he’s better than Adam Engel. But it’s good to have more actual outfielders on the roster?

Yeah, it sounds like I don't have to worry about him dying in the OF so that is nice.

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Eminor3rd said:

Post-hype change of scenery candidates are great as depth, less great when plugged directly into a contending lineup.

I’m not sure he’s better than Adam Engel. But it’s good to have more actual outfielders on the roster?

He's better than 2018 Adam Engel, worse than every iteration after. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Eminor3rd said:

I'd be pretty shocked if this was anything more than a depth move.  They're clearly rolling with AV in RF and Eloy in LF, which has already proven to be (not that it needed any proof) a risky proposition several times.  This just looks like a depth move to me.  Not even sure he's going to break camp with the Sox.  Certainly am not penciling him in as the strong side platoon with Engel in RF.  

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

He wasn't with the Phillies currently?  

Yes, he was.  He just went 0-2 with a K in yesterday's game.

He was competing for a starting outfield spot last year in spring training but got hurt.  He missed a month or so.  When he returned, he played in only 9 games before leaving the team for personal reasons.

This guy is very interesting if you look at his career stats (minors and MLB). He was the 8th overall pick and moved through the minors nicely while hitting the ball at every level (for example, in AA in 2018, he had an OBP of .403 and slugged .478).  Then it seemed like things sort of fell apart the last couple of years. Perhaps the personal stuff played a part in that. I'm guessing he lost all confidence.

Stick him in Charlotte and hope he can get his confidence back.

Edited by SoxBlanco
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, ChiSox59 said:

I'd be pretty shocked if this was anything more than a depth move.  They're clearly rolling with AV in RF and Eloy in LF, which has already proven to be (not that it needed any proof) a risky proposition several times.  This just looks like a depth move to me.  Not even sure he's going to break camp with the Sox.  Certainly am not penciling him in as the strong side platoon with Engel in RF.  

Agreed. This merely seems like a buy low move on a guy they liked in the past. It's very whatever. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ChiSox59 said:

I initially overreacted.  He likely was a 40 man casualty in Philly and we are taking advantage because we have the space.  He could easily start in Charlotte, never make the show and eventually face the same fate in a roster crunch here. 

I'll also just assume he'd be an above average corner OF since he is or at least was listed as a CF.  

Fine move if he is Plan C for the opening day roster, unacceptable move if he is the new Plan A.  

• Like 4

This feels like Nick Williams part 2. Both he and Williams were actually decent at one point, but kind of fell off for some reason. What's interesting is that Haseley used to be fast and a good defender (70% sprint speed) but has since fallen off big time (47% sprint speed the last 2 years). I'm not sure what happened to his speed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, HOFHurt35 said:

We sure like to take on reclamation draft picks from other teams, as if we were good at developing minor league players and our own draft picks. 

The arrogance here is comical. 

This is grist for another thread entirely. One that could go on for months. Comments made by the organization over the past 10-12 years re: this subject are often outright delusional. Clinically delusional at that.

• bmags unpinned this topic