Sox not the worst franchise in MLB since 1998 according to The Athletic

Quin

The Athletic used a scoring system to rank all 30 MLB teams since 1998.

Here's a link to the post.

The Sox come in at 16, tied with the Rangers, Rays, and Nationals.

The White Sox are on the upswing, coming off back-to-back playoff appearances, and are poised to jump to the top of this tier in the near future. At full strength, the lineup is potent — a collection of young studs, proven veterans, contact hitters and power bats. The rotation is experienced. The bullpen has arms. If you owned shares of (the completely hypothetical) White Sox stock, you’d be feeling good about the future.

So if you want a look at the true dredges of desolation that other fanbases (Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, Baltimore, Seattle in particular) have endured alongside us, take a look.

1 hour ago, Quin said:

The Athletic used a scoring system to rank all 30 MLB teams since 1998.

Here's a link to the post.

The Sox come in at 16, tied with the Rangers, Rays, and Nationals.

So if you want a look at the true dredges of desolation that other fanbases (Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, Baltimore, Seattle in particular) have endured alongside us, take a look.

If you add 1984-1997, probably closer to 21/22.

Otoh, if it's just 2000~2012, something like 6 or 7.

If you go back to All-Time Win/Loss percentage (dating back to 1901), the White Sox are actually 10th.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_all-time_Major_League_Baseball_win–loss_records

Here’s a list of all the teams have finished in second place for four or more seasons in a row:

8 consecutive seasons 1998-2005 Red Sox, 5 consecutive seasons 2002-2006 Astros, 5 consecutive seasons 1965-1969 Giants, 4 consecutive seasons 1996-1999 White Sox, 4 consecutive seasons 1985-1988 Reds, 4 consecutive seasons 1970-1973 Dodgers

Second place finishes in 1957, 1958, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1972, 1990, 1991, 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2010, 2012, 2020

1921-1956 pretty much a barren wasteland of mediocrity...only 7 third places finishes, including five consecutive from 1952-1956

Edited by caulfield12
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

So let’s see, 30 teams, 24 years, one World Series? Yeah, they wouldn’t be the worst? Why would we think they would have been?

It's been a popular refrain on the board this winter, despite the Pirates existing.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

So let’s see, 30 teams, 24 years, one World Series? Yeah, they wouldn’t be the worst? Why would we think they would have been?

https://www.reddit.com/r/baseball/comments/95x05i/graphic_of_total_mlb_postseason_appearances/

This graphic is pretty amazing, bookends with NYY and the Marlins (2/2, now 2 WS out of 3 total appearances after 2021 Covid)

The White Sox now have 11 appearances, so we would be somewhere around 17th in terms of total post-season appearances.

The real problem is when you start dividing those appearances by total opportunities, 11 over 121 possible seasons.

That puts the White Sox right at the very bottom along with the Seattle Mariners. 

Even the Cubs would be at 20, and the Indians 14.

8 minutes ago, Quin said:

It's been a popular refrain on the board this winter, despite the Pirates existing.

https://www.mlb.com/pirates/history/records-stats-awards/postseason-results

Sure, but even the Pirates have 12 post-season appearances and two World Series titles from the Clemente Era through today, 1960-2015.

Nobody is arguing that the White Sox are the worst franchise in baseball today...maybe the worst off-season COMPARED to fan expectations, that's more or less accurate for the Top 10-12 teams in MLB.   If it's not the White Sox, it's arguably the Padres.

7 hours ago, Quin said:

I would like to see evidence of someone saying anything remotely like this if you go back to the late 90s. The White Sox were among the top 10 winningest franchises of the 00’s if I recall correctly, with three playoff appearances and a title to their credit.

They were one of the worst performing franchises of the 10s any way you slice it- the Pirates have 1 more win than them since 2010, and have probably spent 40% less money. That stat will probably be false after game 3 of this season at least, possibly earlier.

I have never thought the White Sox were the worst even with some of their bad stretches. I do think the team has under-achieved, especially in the playoffs. At this point, the rebuild has worked to a degree, but I'm not anticipating multiple championships. It helps that the team is good and in a bad division, but I wonder how they will do in the post season.

The White Sox are definitely one of the worst franchise in MLB history. Still my favorite team and still love them regardless.

They have been around since 1900 and it took 121 years to get to the playoffs in back to back seasons. That's.... not good.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

53 minutes ago, T R U said:

The White Sox are definitely one of the worst franchise in MLB history. Still my favorite team and still love them regardless.

They have been around since 1900 and it took 121 years to get to the playoffs in back to back seasons. That's.... not good.

OK, ask the Athletic if they can publish your own story here. 

They clearly indicated they are looking at 1998 forward.

Fun ranking would be comparing every organizations most dominant decade in the modern era. 

Sox I'd assume we'd choose the 50s just because they never had less than 81 wins the entire decade, though they can't claim the WS of the 00s.

I think that beats anything from the Astros. Rangers are tough just because it rarely sustained across long periods, but two WS appearances in a decade is tough. I'm not sure cubs ever had a run like the sox in the 50s, but their 2010s gets weighed down by a horrible start, but not sure if you'd put that above sox 2000s who had 3 weak years (2001, 2002, 2007). Not sure where you'd put 80s mets with the 50s sox, but probably above. Not sure what you do with Miami but i'd put both top eras of sox above their 90s/00s runs unles we break them up into true 10 years no matter when they happen. Unsure but Nats probably above with their 2010s. 

Teams clearly below would have to be Seattle, Rays, Rox,...tigers,

No brainer teams above sox would be Yanks, Reds, As, Red Sox, Dodgers, Cardinals, Orioles, Giants, Braves, Jays 90s, Phillies 00s, Pirates, Royals...definitely missing a biggie but t

edits: Reds

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, HOFHurt35 said:

OK, ask the Athletic if they can publish your own story here. 

They clearly indicated they are looking at 1998 forward.

Thanks for the input, I have sent them a copy.

On 3/31/2022 at 9:16 AM, T R U said:

This organization has never been blessed with great ownership. 

If I owned the Sox,  Baez and Bryant would be on this team and my season ticket plans would be selling briskley. 

Imagine opening day.

What a madhouse the Rate would be.

Sox would easily draw 3 mil plus.

You gotta spend it to make it.

You gotta spend it to win it.

I wouldn't owned a professional sports team if I wasn't in it to win.

The White Sox are the only major market team in their division. Been that way for decades.  Should be an annual cakewalk to the post season.

It would be my responsibility (not the fanbase)  to field a team worth spending money on.   

Edited by GradMc

19 hours ago, kitekrazy said:

I can't stand topics that provide a link to something you have to pay for.  It's illegal to copy and past but these threads pointing to sites wanting paid subs is annoying.

We should also ban game threads. Not everyone has cable or mlb tv.

Also not everyone has internet, we should shut down the site.

On 4/2/2022 at 4:28 AM, bmags said:

We should also ban game threads. Not everyone has cable or mlb tv.

Also not everyone has internet, we should shut down the site.

We should ban mods who have nothing meaningful to say plus a poor attempt at being a smartass.

Edited by kitekrazy