Manaea to Padres, Sox were in on him

bmags

2 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

The 19-year-old infielder that the A’s got would be a top 5 prospect in the Sox system. Sox equivalent is like Jose Rodriguez or Kath/Montgomery I’d think. Sox likely weren’t doing that for a 1 year guy. Teams just aren’t interested in Sheets and Burger it seems. Shocking I know. 

Baseball America has a 45 FV grade on the kid the Padres gave up, while Montgomery & Kath are 55 FV guys and Popeye is a 50 FV.  I know their valuations aren’t the end all be all, but Montgomery at minimum is a far superior prospect IMO.  Now, Popeye is probably a fair comp, although he’s already proven himself at a level higher and I’d like to think that makes him a little bit more valuable.  Regardless, this wasn’t a massive package like some were speculating and it’s one we could have beaten.  Let’s say Popeye is off the table, I still think something like Ramos + Thompson would arguably be a better combo than what the A’s got here and still provided them with youth (although they haven’t been entirely focused on younger prospects in their trades).

2 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Baseball America has a 45 FV grade on the kid the Padres gave up, while Montgomery & Kath are 55 FV guys and Popeye is a 50 FV.  I know their valuations aren’t the end all be all, but Montgomery at minimum is a far superior prospect IMO.  Now, Popeye is probably a fair comp, although he’s already proven himself at a level higher and I’d like to think that makes him a little bit more valuable.  Regardless, this wasn’t a massive package like some were speculating and it’s one we could have beaten.  Let’s say Popeye is off the table, I still think something like Ramos + Thompson would arguably be a better combo than what the A’s got here and still provided them with youth (although they haven’t been entirely focused on younger prospects in their trades).

As probably wanted a pitcher that could help this year. They’re not exactly flush with options at the moment. Sox don’t have that to offer.  

8 minutes ago, maloney.adam said:

The Sox need to build up their farm system with high school prospects.

That’s what they’re doing, unfortunately it takes time though and the pandemic really fucked over the first wave in Thompson & Dalquist.  Hopefully they and Kelly can rebound this year because we invested a ton in those three kids.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Maybe. I doubt the Sox wanted to do Ramos and Thompson for 1 year of Manaea. I thought this would involve Burger or Sheets or it wouldn’t happen 

31 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

I don't want them to trade him for just anyone. I recognize his value. 

I just think that the board overrates his value league wide. He's a RH hitting 1B. As good as his potential is, that's not exactly a valuable piece. 

Jose Abreu will be at $100 million in career earnings after this season.  You want to tell me about the value of RH 1B again?

34 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

I don't want them to trade him for just anyone. I recognize his value. 

I just think that the board overrates his value league wide. He's a RH hitting 1B. As good as his potential is, that's not exactly a valuable piece. 

He can also play a decent LF (and possibly RF). And could end up being one of the best hitters in the league. Even if he’s at 1B, that’s very valuable. 

7 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Maybe. I doubt the Sox wanted to do Ramos and Thompson for 1 year of Manaea. I thought this would involve Burger or Sheets or it wouldn’t happen 

Oh I’m not saying they should have traded those two, just saying there was a way to get a deal done if the Sox were compelled to.  Not sure where they go to from here if they’re unwilling to trade Vaughn or tap into multiple pieces at the very top end of the system.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

He can also play a decent LF (and possibly RF). And could end up being one of the best hitters in the league. Even if he’s at 1B, that’s very valuable. 

I don't belive in his ability as an OF....at all. He can't move out there, even in LF. As bad as Eloy is, he's a better option in LF than Vaughn. 

Vaughn is a 1B/DH. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

14 minutes ago, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

Please tell me the Sox will get another pitcher.

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Oh I’m not saying they should have traded those two, just saying there was a way to get a deal done if the Sox were compelled to.  Not sure where they go to from here if they’re unwilling to trade Vaughn or tap into multiple pieces at the very top end of the system.

Yeah me neither. They aren’t trading Vaughn. That would be idiotic. They don’t have much to trade though. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

I don't belive in his ability as an OF....at all. He can't move out there, even in LF. As bad as Eloy is, he's a better option in LF than Vaughn. 

Vaughn is a 1B/DH. 

Yet in terms of defensive ratings,  he was in the top third of LF.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Yeah me neither. They aren’t trading Vaughn. That would be idiotic. They don’t have much to trade though

Sounds a little self contradictory, but I understand your point. it is indeed a real dilemma.

1 minute ago, Jack Parkman said:

The Sox should get this guy. 

Is he even on the market? If he is in the same situation as  Vaughn then teams don't like to trade young promising pitchers with 5 years of control.

1 hour ago, caulfield12 said:

The fact that he was drafted so high to be a reliable 25-30+ homer, doubles hitting machine for the next decade at 1B.  Generational bat, etc.

Lol generational bat. I’ll believe that when I see it. We will also see if the reliable production comes true too.

1 hour ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Don't ask me but if Vaughn is traded there will be a huge outcry. Guaranteed.

Lots of whining and bed wetting. There should be more whining and bed wetting in April when the rotation is getting lit up or is decimated from injuries and the bullpen and offense doesn’t necessarily matter. But it’s okay, they’ll still have the logjam of outfielder/first base types.

1 hour ago, SoxBlanco said:

He’s one of the best hitters to come out of the draft in the last ten years. He held his own after skipping AA and AAA. Yes, he might hit like an MVP at some point in the next few years. 

The verdict is still out there. Wonder if he or Sheets start at AAA so they can get regular ABs.

1 hour ago, michelangelosmonkey said:

Mike Schmidt came up at same age as Vaughn, same number of at bats, lower first season OPS and he couldn't hit righties at all.   The Phillies were not stupid enough to trade him for some 30 year old 5th starter.  He went on to have a pretty good career and destroyed right handed pitchers the rest of the way.  Maybe Vaughn could get better too.  A .900 OPS hitter cost controlled for next five or six years that can play several positions might have some value. Although really, with our two year window, why bother being patient.  

Okay, go find a taker for Sheets and Burger and tell us all what you find. There is a gap in that rotation that nobody seems to give a fuck about.

46 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

The 19-year-old infielder that the A’s got would be a top 5 prospect in the Sox system. Sox equivalent is like Jose Rodriguez or Kath/Montgomery I’d think. Sox likely weren’t doing that for a 1 year guy. Teams just aren’t interested in Sheets and Burger it seems. Shocking I know. 

Shocking for many here but not all.

5 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Yeah me neither. They aren’t trading Vaughn. That would be idiotic. They don’t have much to trade though. 

No they do, people will keep pumping up Burger and Sheets and that will get the deal done.

Keller has a WHIP in excess of 1.7 in 170 innings.  
That's about what touted prospect Gavin Floyd looked like with the Phils (in fewer innings).  Kenny Williams didn't send an Andrew Vaughn for him.

Comparing Keller's resuls to Vaughn's first season is ridiculous.

• Like 1
  • Fire 1

29 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

I think the plan is to just wait until the deadline now. See what the team looks like in July and see what other players (pitchers) might be available. Some of our younger prospects might have increased their value a little bit, too. 

2 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

I think the plan is to just wait until the deadline now. See what the team looks like in July and see what other players (pitchers) might be available. Some of our younger prospects might have increased their value a little bit, too. 

That may be the plan, but it’s a huge risk to go with what got now.  I really hope Hahn has an ace up his sleeve here.

• Like 1

• Heads22 changed the title to Manaea to Padres, Sox were in on him