How Concerned Should We Be?

Chicago White Sox

Stretches, both good and bad, at the beginning and end of a season are often times magnified much greater than they should be. They're not different than a sweep in July or August but because fans are more invested and watching more diligently early and late, the bad stretch is magnified. Bad series will always happen. The most concerning thing for me is that La Russa learned nothing from last year and is still obsessed with garcia, distrusting in Vaughn, and oblivious to optimal lineups - instead content with going with his stubborn, illogical and ignorant gut. Strategically this team will have to overcome his incompetence again which is disheartening.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Gavin Sheets has 3 fewer PA's than Vaughn. Someone needs to tell TLR that Vaughn needs to be playing everyday.

There are 3 righty starters this weekend and Pollock is back. We're going to learn a lot by whether he starts 3, 2, or 1 times.

21 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

There are 3 righty starters this weekend and Pollock is back. We're going to learn a lot by whether he starts 3, 2, or 1 times.

Just coming back from a hamstring injured and it being cold and rainy, I doubt he starts all 3.

• Like 1

I'm at about a level 7 of 10. I'm mainly worried about Eloy, Harrison and the pitching staff. The absolute lack of pitching depth in the upper minors has been exposed early. You hope to at least get into mid summer before needing a Lambert type but here we are.

Eloy looks like a 1 WAR player. He really does. I don't see much in his profile at the plate right now that gives me optimism. I see a guy that is 100% a guess hitter and that's fine if you're crushing the guesses but he's not. He's pulling off the ball or hitting it into the ground. A guy like his should have a completely different batted ball profile if he wants success. That's something you rarely can fix in season.

Harrison is more of a general worry about 2B looking like a position that will once again find the Sox below replacement.

5 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

I'm at about a level 7 of 10. I'm mainly worried about Eloy, Harrison and the pitching staff. The absolute lack of pitching depth in the upper minors has been exposed early. You hope to at least get into mid summer before needing a Lambert type but here we are.

Eloy looks like a 1 WAR player. He really does. I don't see much in his profile at the plate right now that gives me optimism. I see a guy that is 100% a guess hitter and that's fine if you're crushing the guesses but he's not. He's pulling off the ball or hitting it into the ground. A guy like his should have a completely different batted ball profile if he wants success. That's something you rarely can fix in season.

Harrison is more of a general worry about 2B looking like a position that will once again find the Sox below replacement.

Agree on the pitching and 2B but I can't agree completely about Eloy just yet. He may be hitting badly at the moment but his BA is better than Abreu, Sheets, Robert and Grandal. Mind you all of the above named are doing badly at the moment, I'm just hoping the warmer weather has an impact eventually! With Eloy if he is still like this by the All Star Break then it may be time to move on from him.

• Like 2

All right a more rigorous list of thoughts. Basic question - how have things looked in the context of what I expected before the season?

1. The White Sox are banged up and have crappy depth. This was an issue the whole offseason so nothing unexpected here.

2. The top starters have been better than expected, the back of the rotation appears to have quashed all hope. Depth is an issue. Injuries are an issue. This will be a problem all year - guys will come back but other guys will get hurt or hit innings limits. Nothing unexpected here.

3. The offense is off to a slow start. They are low on power, some guys are streaky, they may have an OBP issue, they have some injury concerns, and they have a major issue against righties. This might be a little more of a worry than I thought - I don’t know that I could pick out who would struggle but some guys struggling early is unsurprising. Injuries are unsurprising. Weakness against righties is unsurprising. Maybe Grandal struggling is a bit worrisome, maybe the bad start for Robert is a bit worrisome. Vaughn hitting righties is a positive.

4. The bullpen has been perhaps as expected. Bummer is maybe a little worse than expected, Sousa, Banks, and Ruiz a little better. Hendriks still having HRitis might be a worry as I was hoping that was random last year, but we will see if that continues.

5. The rest of the division - Detroit off to a slow start as a young team is unsurprising, they may be a danger to get better as the season goes along. Minnesota getting off to a slow start is positive for the White Sox- Correa will be better than this, but they are still losing games. Cleveland looking healthy and playing well is a legit worry as they are a really well coached team with potential. Whether they can sustain a season I don’t know, but they at least look like more of a threat than I though a month ago.

6. The white sox’s manager is already as bad as expected. Make it harder for him to give away games with the bullpen and he will give them away with the lineup. While this is rotten it simply can’t be surprising.

7. Ok here’s one. The defense and focus. Last year Anderson had 10 errors, he has 5 already. I think the White Sox have missed more cutoff men than they’ve hit, I’m not sure Luis Robert knows what one is. Last year, this team was average defensively outside of their backup catchers. They upgraded their backup catchers but they’ve downgraded on defensive focus and fundamentals. They’ve also had “sh*tshow” games against a division opponent early in the season that I’m not sure we saw at all last year. We know they are poorly coached, but last year we didn’t see this bleed over into the everyday plays and into the focus level of guys on the field like we already have seen this year.

Overall, the division might have one extra threat, but most of the rest is well balanced except for the last one. If the poor coaching infects other parts of the team, as we have seen this week already, then that’s an actual reason to worry.

15 minutes ago, ShoeLessRob said:

This is not a good team. Sure they have some individual good players, but as a “Team” they are not good. These players played better fundamentals with Renteria at the helm. 

They certainly looked to be having a lot more fun together.  All those meme pics with TLR acting like a younger hipper version just felt a bit forced...and uncomfortable.

At this point, I’m very concerned for a multitude of reasons. This team is a disaster right now. This division still sucks, which should keep the Sox in the hunt. I expect they’ll play better ball eventually, but hopefully it’s not too late. I don’t see this flip being switched imminently. 

15 minutes ago, ron883 said:

Is Bruce Bochy still available?

The CW is doing a reboot of Babylon 5 but I doubt they'd be bringing him back to play the captain....oh sorry I thought that said Bruce Boxlightner.

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Soxfest said:

It’s only April and they are in trouble. Team did not improve at all from losing to Houston in playoffs. 

They are getting destroyed by the likes of KC, MIN, and CLE...laughing stock of the league right now. Good thing this is a long season and stranger things have happened to teams that have gone on to win the world series. But they better not dig themselves in a hole that they can't get out of.